Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a replacement Omni gear RC 30 gearbox for a 4-ft king cutter. This was a used piece of equipment I bought from somebody who had a larger tractor. I ordered the right series but noticed after I installed it that the gear ratio was different than the old. Old was 1.93: 1. New box had 1.57 :1. The description for the gearbox says for 40 horsepower. is there a reason to be concerned that I have a lower gear ratio for my tractor which is a JD 2025. My logic says lower horsepower lower gear ratio. Please comment as you see fit. Andrew

·
Super Moderator
6,444 Posts
First off, you say :"4 ft king kutter". I'm assuming you are referring to a 4 ft King Kutter rear mower. (King Kutter is a brand, not a specific piece of equipment) If that's wrong please advise.

The HP listed in the specs for the gearbox is the max horsepower that should be safely applied to the box. If your box is listed as "40 HP" then it should only be used on machines with a PTO HP of 40 HP or less.

But the rated HP and the ratio have nothing to do with each other. The HP rating on those boxes has to do with the box's physical strength and ability to handle the power. The exact same Omni RC30 box rated for 40 HP is made in three different gear ratios. Omni lists 1:1.47 1:1.71, 1:1.93 as available ratios.

If you have a box with a lower ratio you'll loose blade speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, you say :"4 ft king kutter". I'm assuming you are referring to a 4 ft King Kutter rear mower. (King Kutter is a brand, not a specific piece of equipment) If that's wrong please advise.

The HP listed in the specs for the gearbox is the max horsepower that should be safely applied to the box. If your box is listed as "40 HP" then it should only be used on machines with a PTO HP of 40 HP or less.

But the rated HP and the ratio have nothing to do with each other. The HP rating on those boxes has to do with the box's physical strength and ability to handle the power. The exact same Omni RC30 box rated for 40 HP is made in three different gear ratios. Omni lists 1:1.47 1:1.71, 1:1.93 as available ratios.

If you have a box with a lower ratio you'll loose blade speed.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts