Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the proud new owner of a 2016 2025r with only 29 hours that was in a garage since new (tractor is like new). Question, where should the oil level be on the sight glass for the transmission? When the machine is off (and cold), the whole sight glass is covered with oil. When it's running, the level drops down to almost the bottom. The book says when it's cold, the oil level should be at the 3/4 mark. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
It's a pretty common issue with the Gen1 2-series machines. As it turns out, it doesn't take much to affect how the oil appears in the sight glass. As the manual says, you should see an air bubble at the top of the glass. But you'll find that when you add hydro fluid, it doesn't seem to take much to go from "No oil in the sight glass at all" to "the sight glass shows it's overfilled". It seems like it only takes a pint or so of fluid to make that jump.

Reactions: Toughsox and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
You should be fine. My 2720 has the same sight glass and the manual says it should be about 3/4 full with a bubble at the top. However, my tractor also has a dipstick (that isn't mentioned in the manual). When the sight glass is at 3/4 the dipstick is down half way. When almost full on the dipstick then the sight glass is completely covered.

The problem is that if you remove a hydraulic implement like the loader or snow blower the level will drop. If you add fluid then it will be over filled when you reattach the implement.

I've finally reached a happy medium that during the winter with the snow blower attached the sight glass is around 3/4. During the summer with the loader on it is completely covered. This level avoids having to add.

I also now go more by what the dipstick says than the sight glass.

Reactions: Toughsox and Gizmo2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info! Thank you. I’m going to look a dipstick.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
Great info! Thank you. I’m going to look a dipstick.
I don’t think the 2025R has the dipstick. Only the 2520, 2720 and Gen-1 2032R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don’t think the 2025R has the dipstick. Only the 2520, 2720 and Gen-1 2032R.
The 2025R Gen-2 has a dipstick. It's behind the seat. Gen-1, I don't know.....

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
The 2025R Gen-2 has a dipstick. It's behind the seat. Gen-1, I don't know.....
Correct... all the Gen-2 2-series models now have dip sticks for the hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yes, the gen 1 has a dipstick. It is on the floorboard by the heel of your left foot if you are sitting on the seat.

Mine has a visible bubble with engine off. not visible at all when engine running.

Reactions: JohnM45

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
yes, the gen 1 has a dipstick. It is on the floorboard by the heel of your left foot if you are sitting on the seat.
Can you possibly post a photo? There is nothing showing in the illustrated parts manual.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
On the Gen 1 2025R that I owned the oil level would vary from day to day. It was parked on a level concrete floor in my barn. I had a great view of the sight glass when coming from my storage area.
Some days the oil would cover the glass, some days it would be at the bottom of the glass & other days it would fall somewhere in between.

·
Registered
418 Posts
On my 2025R-GenI, I changed the oil at 50 hours and was fairly accurate in how much I put back in. The bubble was just a tiny, little bubble at the top...if you stood there in the back to check the level, you'd think the sight-glass was full, but kneeling down, there was a small bubble.

That was around 25 engine hours ago and the bubble has gone from roughly an 1/8" diameter bubble to maybe a 3/8" diameter bubble...plenty of loader work, etc. And that's from winter to Spring, so a broad temperature range.

For me, the sightglass has stayed roughly the same level when cold. When its running, honestly, I could care less. I'll know if there is a problem......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,065 Posts
Dont change fluid without this dye. It is extremely difficult to see clean fluid in sight glass without it. This little bottle.will last for many fluid changes.
How much do you use per change?

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts
How much do you use per change?
The bottle says it treats up to 5 gallons but you can probably use half that amount and still get a bit of red tint. I used the whole bottle in my 2720 and the sight glass looks like this:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts