Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that I can "feel" that I am in 4wd? At slow speed in 4wd I feel a vibration, not quite grinding but it's there. Most predominant going downhill when letting off the pedal to show down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If your on pavement ,concrete...this may be normal.

On dirt/gravel..which is all I have...I don't feel anything in 4x4..Mine is rarely ever in 2x.

Mine is not your model but is Green..955

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
theDuke raises a good point about concrete. Sometimes I forget I'm in 4WD and will notice when turning on concrete or when I turn sharp on grass and notice I tore up the grass. When I'm off pavement in 4WD, I haven't noticed any kind of vibration.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2025r...I can't say I feel a vibration per se, but I can definitely "feel" it on my gravel driveway. It's hard to explain, but it can be felt, and definitely when turning. Going down a hill, I would think you'd feel it even more due to all the weight shift on the front end. Just like in a truck...you should be able to "feel" 4 wheel drive one engaged, in the pedal and wheel. There's suddenly power beng applied via gears and transfer case to the front wheels so you're going to feel something. I can't think of anything that would cause a vibration.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Two different things being commented on, here. When in 4WD, the front and rear wheels are mechanically linked. But, because the front wheels will travel a different arc than the rear when turning, you get driveline binding. That's one feel. It appears, by the OP's description, that a driveline vibration is felt when 4WD is engaged (not dependent on turning), which would be different. Driveline wind up wouldn't create a vibration, but the tires slipping (relieving the binding) could. This, by description, seems to be a mechanical issue. If it were mine, I'd jack it up, get a front and a rear wheel off of the ground, have 4WD engaged, and turn a wheel by hand (with the engine off). I would be listening for a source of sound in the driveline, to isolate where it's at.
While jacked up, I would also disengage the 4WD, and alternate turning a rear wheel, and a front one- to again isolate, or confirm, the issue. If there's an issue in the driveline, mechanically, I would expect to be able to hear it (in some form).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really feel it going down hill in a straight line when I let off the forward pedal. What bothers me is it almost has a cyclical feel to it. So every 1 (the one is a guess) revolution I feel a pulse of a vibration. Reminds me of a vibration I had in my tundra that had a bad bearing in the differential.

I use 4wd going down steeper hills, especially when using the loader. It's had this since I got it and I have over 50 hours on it now. I always use ballast with the front end loader.

I have no concrete, only a gravel drive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The wheels dont turn at the exact same speed, relative to size, when the MFWD is engaged.
Pretty sure it was on this site that I read about the difference in speed vs size, and if I recall, the fronts spin a small percentage faster than what would be a matched speed to the rear.
You WILL feel this on asphalt/concrete. Sometimes its subtle, sometimes not. This also depends on tread too. If yours is very worn, you might not feel it much.
Most people feel it when turning on most surfaces because thats when the difference is greatest.
On hard dry surfaces, you really shouldnt need it.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Maybe this has been mentioned, but, have you checked the level of oil in the front axle?? Also, are you in low range or high range, I do probably 90% + of my work in low range and have not felt what you say you are feeling. But check the oil in the front axle if you haven't already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts