Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Been trying to search the forum to see if anyone has/is running a MX5 rotary cutter on a Gen2 2025R but haven been finding much. There is a thread already about this, just send me a link please.

Long story short, I have a 48” cutter, but have never cared for the way it cuts due to lack of adjustments and a solid/closed back and debris can’t escape. Therefore I’ve been debating upgrading but not sure if I want to go 48” or 60”. Been looking at John Deere, Frontier, and Woods cutters. For JD, there are LX models (light duty) and MX models (medium duty). For whatever reason, I can find much better deals on a 60” JD MX5 than on the comparable lighter duty models. However, the weight and PTO HP requirements listed by JD for the MX5 has me a little concerned for the 2025R. So does anyone have any experience running a MX5 on a 2025R by chance?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Do you know how heavy the MX cutters are? You could probably do it but you'll feel that sucker banging around back there, especially on that small of a tractor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the 48 inch Brush Bull, the heavier Woods model on my 1025r. It handles it ok and the cutter is a beast but ts heavy. I am in the process of upgrading to a 2025. Same HP, an inch wider. I think itll handle the cutter a bit better but even with a higher weight capacity on the 3 pt, I dont have any plans to go to a bigger cutter. I think its right for the 25 HP machines.

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
The MX-5 is a heavy rugged cutter, I just went through this same search for the same reasons you listed last year. I opted for the FrontierRC2060, it is not a rugged as the MX-5 but are you really going to be cutting 2" material with a tractor this size? FWIW, the Frontier cutter is a very good cutter IMO, the bulk of your decision is going to come down to what you plan on cutting, where this is going to happen i.e., in the woods, open fields etc. etc.. I mow pastures and fields that are not worthy of making hay, for that, the Frontier is a superb rotary cutter.
I think you could run the MX-5, but not to it's full capability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am aware of the much heavier weight of the MX5, which is where most of my skepticism comes from. It will mostly be used for grassy field, light brush. Not cutting anything really over an inch in most cases. So I know the frontier 2060 or JD LX4 or 5 or RC 4 or 5 from Woods would all be sufficiently built for my needs. But the cost of these said models seem way high compared to the MX5 which I know is a much better built unit. Basically no matter which way I go, I know I’m getting something good for my money, but it seems like the MX5 is just the better unit when comparing used prices. I can find used MX5’s for 1200-1600 in really good shape, but the others are in the same price range, but generally more beat up and overall just a lighter duty unit. I believe in “you get what you pay for” and I just have a hard time paying the same or more for a lesser built product!

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
I guess if you can find a MX-5 for the same price as the others then go for it, just remember that you are quite a bit under the HP requirements, but what you describe is exactly what I use my Frontier for and it's not beat up.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I think the reason you are finding a lot of MX5 cutters at low price is they have breakage problems (more MX6 than MX5) and JD wont stand behind them. Just google MX6 gear box.

For a medium duty cutter, I would get the Woods BB60 before I would buy an MX5.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
I have an old brochure that list weight as 823lbs. I think that is due to the double deck top. Gear box is rated 54HP

Frontier RC1060 weight is 583lbs and gear box 65HP

Woods BB60 is 604lbs and gear box 65HP
My Frontier is actually made by Woods I do believe.

·
Administrator
17,974 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I started out with a RC2060 and it's a good mower. The weak spot on it is the side skirting. I mow brush and trees, and wasn't able to kill the gearbox. The quick hitch works great with an imatch. The RC2060 weighed 520 lbs. I think.

We purchased a new MX5 later for $2400 and am very pleased with it. It is very heavy, 30" shorter front-to-back than some other mowers. So the MX5 is perfect for compact tractors, the mass is more centralized. The MX5 does weigh 823 lbs.

I am unfamiliar with the second gen 2025r tractor and it's specs. I believe the MX5 might be a bit much for that size tractor. We use our MX5 on on a cabbed 3520, and a 3032E. The 3032E handles it fine, but it lets you know it's back there. I regret selling the RC2060, as you could run it on either tractor and it was so light that you couldn't tell it was there.

I did run the RC2060 on our 1025R one time, it handled it just fine, but that was on flat ground and cutting 1/2" brush and Johnson grass.

I would suggest finding a mint condition RC2060 used, since they have went up due to tariffs, and run that for a while to see what you like. If you're mowing flat areas with only tall weeds, the RC2060 will be more than enough.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Deere has the Gen2 2025R listed as 18 pto hp, 63 inch wheelbase, and 882 lbs. lift capacity on the 3 point. Looks like a 1025R with bigger tires. Can't say that an MX5 will be the optimal mower for that tractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. I was not aware of the gearbox related issues so that could definitely explain the lower than expected price range. The more I am reading and researching, my mind is made up that the MX5 is just going to be too much for my 2025R. The JD LX series cutter is difficult to find and people seem to want a premium for them. Unless I can find a good deal, I’m leaning towards the frontier 2060 or woods RC5 most likely. I’m still a little up in the air about 48” or 60” cutter, but I think it’ll come down to whatever I find the best deal on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In reference to the gearbox issues, that was quite a few years back, and the gearboxes on the mx6 were made in Spain. The current ones are different, and made in China. Pretty sad that it is better. Our 2018 MX5 has a Chinese gearbox. The Frontier RC2060 that I had also had a Chinese gearbox.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
In reference to the gearbox issues, that was quite a few years back, and the gearboxes on the mx6 were made in Spain. The current ones are different, and made in China. Pretty sad that it is better. Our 2018 MX5 has a Chinese gearbox. The Frontier RC2060 that I had also had a Chinese gearbox.
I also a post of a made in China gear box breaking. But people can break almost anything. The fact JD would not stand behind the Spain gear boxes soured me on MX cutters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts