Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've posted here a few times with random questions but I am still quite new to small engine machines. My John Deere LA115 has a choke lever and I wanted to ask if it was normal that, when on warm/hot days, I don't need to push the lever all the way up (which I believe is closed?). I know as the engine warms up, you have to open the choke and I wanted to ask if it was normal that when the weather is warm that the choke doesn't have to be all the way closed to start.

My snowblower seems similar, it has a dial for the choke and I find that lately when I go to test it out (I periodically run it to make sure it works even in the summer), I need the choke mostly open for it to start.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Once it's warm it shouldn't need choke to start,however depending on the fuel system you may need to choke to prime the fuel system to start.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Some engines will require choke and some won't even to start when warm/ hot. Easy test when warm... Try to start.. If it doesn't start right away.. Keep cranking and choke. Should fire up.. Then lever down to take off choke.
Due to fluctuations in your gas and jetting of carb, just find a way that works for you. There is no steadfast rule. It's whatever she likes to light off and and run. One steadfast rule is though.. Once it starts, get off the choke.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Some engines will require choke and some won't even to start when warm/ hot. Easy test when warm... Try to start.. If it doesn't start right away.. Keep cranking and choke. Should fire up.. Then lever down to take off choke.
Due to fluctuations in your gas and jetting of carb, just find a way that works for you. There is no steadfast rule. It's whatever she likes to light off and and run. One steadfast rule is though.. Once it starts, get off the choke.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
This is sold advice. Also by doing it this way the engine is far less likely to belch smoke out the exhaust when it catches/starts.

If you have a separate choke lever next to the throttle it should be spring loaded. They do this so you don't accidentally leave it on. As soon as the engine fires you need to back off the choke a little. The carb needs a little air gap between the blade and carb Venturi to keep it running. Otherwise the engine will blow black smoke and die. How fast you can leave off the lever depends on how cold it is. When the weather is colder the engine will require more fuel to start. That's why you need to hold it on longer.

Mostly snow blowers don't have any air cleaner. I guess they figure not much dust is blowing around when the ground is covered with snow. Because of this it's a wide open passage into the engine. When I store my blower I always close the choke. This way small critters are less likely to find a home inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts