Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an extended power outage a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't take us long to get tired of extension cords running to our little generator. Our power company offers Generlink, so we got a larger generator and are getting the Generlink installed at our meter.

The generator needs to be pretty close to the meter, and I've seen where a lot of people modify an outdoor storage cabinet into a generator shed. Of course the generator instructions say not to run it without a certain amount of clearance on every side, I assume mainly for airflow and exhaust clearance reasons.

The storage modifications typically include 2 or 3 louvered vents for general airflow and air intake, exhaust plumbing out of the shed, and some have a small attic fan plugged into the generator that is running whenever the generator is. Would there be any generator longevity concerns with a set up like this? If the weather is nice, which it typically is after a round of storms, we could open it up, but there may be an occasional need for enclosed running.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
How large of a generator are you dealing with?

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
When I was looking to do the same thing that was the one aspect that turned me off to GenerLink. Of course I'm in the snow belt and depending on the snow and wind I could have 30" drifts out at the side of house where the meter is.

I went with an interlock system in my breaker panel and a receptacle out on the porch into which I can plug in a portable generator and run the whole house.

But... that doesn't help you at this point.

I have seen various generator enclosures. Some were very simple and others were very elaborate. Paul Short on his YouTube channel built a metal one that is very elaborate. It has cooling fans.

Being in Louisiana I'm assuming your main concern is rain.

Don't laugh but have you considered something like a GenTent?

GenTent.jpg

Also, do a google image search on "generator weather box" and you will see dozens of examples that may give you an idea on what would work best for your situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,377 Posts
Would there be any generator longevity concerns with a set up like this?
The problems with these sorts of things are pretty much never issues of generator longevity. They aren't "generator" problems at all.The shed needs to be big enough to allow air circulation and so that the exhaust is far enough away from a wall that it doesn't melt the wall or set it in fire.

I've seen some where they used one of the Rubbermaid garbage can storage sheds modified with vents and fans so you don't need to go huge.

Reactions: userjh160

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I've been using one of these at my mother's house for like ever...

View attachment 567113

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Outdoor-Horizontal-Sandstone-FG374701OLVSS/dp/B000L0FDLA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YWS5WVSKZ3XRC2TBEXJM

I open the lid, open the doors, start the generator, close the lid leaving the doors open while the generator is running.

* Note: The exhaust on my mother's generator is facing the doors.
Any issues running with the doors open in a heavy rain?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
Any issues running with the doors open in a heavy rain?
No.
Just had 10" of heavy wet snow over at my mother's place and the generator was running pretty much the entire time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a 9200 watt generator. I've looked at the gen-tents, just a little concerned about water splashing up in one of our frog stranglers. That plastic shed is pretty close to what I'm looking at.

Another option I have is to get a 100 foot cord, Generlink sells them. I measured from our meter to our storage building and would have a few feet to spare. I could open the windows and leave the door cracked open, maybe figure out a way to route the exhaust out. I'm sure those cords are pretty pricey, but that may be the cheapest option.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This is the setup I had in the trailer hood. Had a cable attached to the panel with it's own breaker. I had to manually turn off the main and on the generator.
My 6,600 generator has the intake and exhaust on the ends. So I would just use a long door mat to cover the unit with wise. A couple bungee cords to hold it on. Never had a problem with it running out in the weather.

Put the carpet side down and the rubber side up. This helps protect the fuel tank paint and allows the water to run off.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
This is the setup I had in the trailer hood. Had a cable attached to the panel with it's own breaker. I had to manually turn off the main and on the generator.
My 6,600 generator has the intake and exhaust on the ends. So I would just use a long door mat to cover the unit with wise. A couple bungee cords to hold it on. Never had a problem with it running out in the weather.
I did that for years here at our place.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's a 9200 watt generator. I've looked at the gen-tents, just a little concerned about water splashing up in one of our frog stranglers. That plastic shed is pretty close to what I'm looking at.

Another option I have is to get a 100 foot cord, Generlink sells them. I measured from our meter to our storage building and would have a few feet to spare. I could open the windows and leave the door cracked open, maybe figure out a way to route the exhaust out. I'm sure those cords are pretty pricey, but that may be the cheapest option.

Stored my generator in a 8'X12' shed. It didn't have electric running to it. So I ended up using the generator a few times just for power. Had the 4' doors wide open along with both side windows. Windows openings were a little more than 12" square. The generator was positioned in the door opening with the exhaust pointing outside. Even in the winter time the inside of the shed got extremely warm. After about 20 minutes you could work inside in a T shirt. But boy did you need hearing protection. lol

I had the same idea. Was thinking about using a fan in one of the windows to pull in fresh air. Then running an exhaust pipe through the wall. With some kind of setup like a wood stove chimney. Unfortunately I couldn't trust leaving the doors open while unattended. So after seeing how hot the inside got (even with both doors open) I abandoned the idea.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe this will sound dumb but if you are going to be using a 9,200 watt portable generator why not look at just installing a 10,000 watt automatic standby residential generator and transfer switch? Unless you already own the 9,200 watt gen set then never mind that idea

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe this will sound dumb but if you are going to be using a 9,200 watt portable generator why not look at just installing a 10,000 watt automatic standby residential generator and transfer switch? Unless you already own the 9,200 watt gen set then never mind that idea
We had a 14kw standby where we used to live. It was great but $$$$ to buy and install. We gave it to my Mom when we moved and it was a lot of trouble to disconnect and move as well. I picked up the 9200 watt yesterday, figuring a portable unit would be more versatile. Plus, work moves may be a possibility down the road and this just seemed easier for now.

I ran it in the shed this morning to check it out, exhaust facing out as mentioned and the door and windows open. After about 10 minutes it had warmed up inside noticeably lol. And Whoa! Loud.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts

The longer the cord the heavier it needs to be. I can’t imagine what gauge cord you would need for 100’. Just off the top of my head - 100’ cord 9200 watt 120v 30 amps would need a #6 wire. That cord without ends would cost around $300.

https://www.amazon.com/SOOW-Cable-Portable-Power-Conductor/dp/B01N5DLW2U

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
The longer the cord the heavier it needs to be. I can’t imagine what gauge cord you would need for 100’. Just off the top of my head - 100’ cord 9200 watt 120v 30 amps would need a #6 wire. That cord without ends would cost around $300.

https://www.amazon.com/SOOW-Cable-Portable-Power-Conductor/dp/B01N5DLW2U
I was thinking the same thing when he mentioned a 100 ft cord. Even my 20-footer is huge. Although if he is feeding the GenerLink adapter as a whole house feed he would be running 220V not 120 (but it's still 30 amps). :) His 9200 watt generator could have a larger receptacle. I'm not sure what the wattage break points are for 30 -> 40 -> 50 amp. My 6500 watt generator uses a 30 amp for 220V.

Does the GenerLink adapter require a special connection or is it a standard NEMA plug? If it is standard you could probably make your own extension out of large gauge wire for a lot less than they charge. Generator connecting cords are over priced anyway, I can only imagine what GenerLink charges for one.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

put it up on some sort of platform? Like a little deck...

·
Registered
591 Posts
9200 watts at 220v is 41.8A, at 240v it’s 38.3 I would size cords for 40A unless the generlink can limit draw to 30A.
There should be a nameplate on the generator stating the current raring. The NEC requires the ampacity of the conductors be at least 115% of that rating. I would guess that you are in the ballpark and it's probably 40A which would be #8 AWG copper. But to be certain, I'd look for the nameplate rating.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
put it up on some sort of platform? Like a little deck...
That's what I was thinking too. You could maybe use one of those resin platforms like they sit A/C units on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts