Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Fox News tonight when this image flashed across the screen. He was a good man and great president! RIP HW

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was watching Fox News tonight when this image flashed across the screen. He was a good man and great president! RIP HW

Sincerely
A first class human being and a fine patriot to boot. You will be missed sir.:usa

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
That's a great picture!!

I was looking at the logo on the jacket of the guy to the left of him. Looks like an "AK Steel" logo and it might be in the shape of the State of Ohio. AK's headquarters and a steel processing plant are about 8 miles south of me. I tried a quick Google search to see if he ever visited there, but didn't see anything.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
That's a great picture!!

I was looking at the logo on the jacket of the guy to the left of him. Looks like an "AK Steel" logo and it might be in the shape of the State of Ohio. AK's headquarters and a steel processing plant are about 8 miles south of me. I tried a quick Google search to see if he ever visited there, but didn't see anything.
You never know...but I'm betting he did...

George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush's Ohio roots run deep

·
Premium Member
13,933 Posts
Not taking anything from the original post, but found some papers of him being in Morgantown WV when he was VP
These are a few of the items a Secret Service agent gave me , after being with the agents for 2 or 3 days before he arrived.
Cannot remember the agents name ,but this man was BIG. Close to 6' 8" , he had to duck his head walking into the motel room ,plus kinda turn to one side because the with of his shoulders. I've only used the ink pen maybe 5 times since I received it that day, I tried it today and it still writes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I read that article last night. There was a link in it to a lot of pictures of Bush in Ohio. Nothing specific to AK Steel though. BUT... there was a picture of him at "The Pine Club". The Pine Club is a great steakhouse in Dayton (actually, Oakwood - which is the Old Money suburb of Dayton) - I've only been there once and that was when a client picked up the tab! :laugh: Anyway, The Pine Club doesn't take reservations no matter who you are. Back when Bush was still VP, he and Barbara came to town to visit her niece that lives north of here. Long story short, Bush wanted a steak and ended up waiting 45 minutes to get a table. Here's a link to that story.

Several years later ('95ish, during the Clinton years), the "Dayton Peace Talks" were being held at the local Air Force Base to try and stop the war in Bosnia. Part of the delegation called ahead for reservations at the Pine Club. They also found out about the "no reservations" policy and had to send a person ahead of the group to hold a place in line.

=================

I was able to listen to part of the funeral yesterday. Then I was able to watch part of it on C/SPAN last night (stayed up until after midnight) and only turned it off once they were getting ready to load his body on the train. Turned the TV back on this morning and C/SPAN was right at the point where they were unloading the casket from the hearse at the Presidential Library. I watched that part too. VERY MOVING!!

From all appearances, they are just a great family!! Very close and supportive of each other. And, they seem to have a huge amount of class and grace. Just look at how close Bill Clinton and GHWB became in the past years even after a bitter campaign. And GWB and the Obama's seem to have a special relationship, even after (IMHO) Obama seemed to blame pretty much everything on GWB for most of his 8 years in office. Contrast all of that to HRC's actions at the funeral held in Washington DC when the current President sat down in the pew. (Not trying to get political here - I understand if the mods move or delete)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I read that article last night. There was a link in it to a lot of pictures of Bush in Ohio. Nothing specific to AK Steel though. BUT... there was a picture of him at "The Pine Club". The Pine Club is a great steakhouse in Dayton (actually, Oakwood - which is the Old Money suburb of Dayton) - I've only been there once and that was when a client picked up the tab! :laugh: Anyway, The Pine Club doesn't take reservations no matter who you are. Back when Bush was still VP, he and Barbara came to town to visit her niece that lives north of here. Long story short, Bush wanted a steak and ended up waiting 45 minutes to get a table. Here's a link to that story.

Several years later ('95ish, during the Clinton years), the "Dayton Peace Talks" were being held at the local Air Force Base to try and stop the war in Bosnia. Part of the delegation called ahead for reservations at the Pine Club. They also found out about the "no reservations" policy and had to send a person ahead of the group to hold a place in line.

=================

I was able to listen to part of the funeral yesterday. Then I was able to watch part of it on C/SPAN last night (stayed up until after midnight) and only turned it off once they were getting ready to load his body on the train. Turned the TV back on this morning and C/SPAN was right at the point where they were unloading the casket from the hearse at the Presidential Library. I watched that part too. VERY MOVING!!

From all appearances, they are just a great family!! Very close and supportive of each other. And, they seem to have a huge amount of class and grace. Just look at how close Bill Clinton and GHWB became in the past years even after a bitter campaign. And GWB and the Obama's seem to have a special relationship, even after (IMHO) Obama seemed to blame pretty much everything on GWB for most of his 8 years in office. Contrast all of that to HRC's actions at the funeral held in Washington DC when the current President sat down in the pew. (Not trying to get political here - I understand if the mods move or delete)
Good post,Mark, I agree with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts