Green Tractor Talk banner

Getting my first Garden tractor - need advice.

2620 67
Looking for some advice on my first garden tractor. We will be moving in a few weeks to a new home and will need a garden tractor. Have almost 2 acres, that are a little hilly. I would also like to attach a snowblower to clear the driveway. What do you suggest? I have read from a few people online that an X370 with a snowblower attached could not get up a sloped driveway for a few people even with chains. Attaching pictures of the driveway and backyard. Help is much appreciated.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Land lot
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree
Plant Road surface Asphalt Tar Tree
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Imo the x300 series are nice lawnmowers but they are not garden tractors.
I think a few x500's are still garden tractors but with 2 acres and hills I'd look at x700 or even 1 series.
I was looking for a lawn tractor suggestion if that would do the job.
Reactions: trav
Would be using it for mowing the lawn and clearing snow on the driveway only.
I was looking for a lawn tractor suggestion if that would do the job.
It is hard to judge how much slope you actually have with the pictures.

You didn't indicate what your budget is. Most people have something in mind, but it generally is on the low end of what they really need/want costs.

When I started, I had no clue. I was looking for just a mower and figured $1K or so should be enough. I really had no idea about what the difference between models really were and why some cost 3X, 5X, 7X, and 10X as much. Turns out there is a reason and it isn't just dealer profit. There are very real differences between the models and their capabilities (and creature comforts).

Ultimately, you need to get a handle on how much money you are willing to throw at the problem. You could make an X300 series machine work. I have an X300 that I bought (when I was thinking $1K was a good budget). The X300 was way over what I was expecting to pay. It was a good mower on the flat parts of my property, but was traction challenged in many parts. For over a decade I lived with it, because it worked well enough (after upgrading the tires and loading them for more traction).

A couple of years ago I got serious about wanting something much better. I ended up getting and X534. It doesn't mow any better, but it is much less traction challenged. It is probably the mower I should have bought in the first place. The (used) one I bought is actually a year older than my X300. I suspect I will work for at least a decade more with reasonable care.

I liked the X534 so much I decided I wanted another machine to be my baby tractor (I have a CUT for bigger tractor jobs). I ran into an X749. I don't think it makes a good mower for my property, but it is excellent as a tractor for small jobs. I have a 54 QH plow that is great. There are people who claim the AWS X700 series machines are unstoppable. I say they have no imagination. Don't get me wrong. I think it is great, especially since I have no chains and no weights. It works great in powder, just no so much in Cascade Concrete.

Blowers require less traction than blades, but probably require weight on the rear to offset all of that weight up front.

The X500 series gets you diff-lock. It definitely helps in limited traction situations.

The X700 series gets you real hydraulics (2 spools, so you can control the plow height and angle). It also gets you the option of AWD. I don't think it makes sense to get an X700 series without AWS, but lots of other people do. The implements for the X700 are much more expensive than for the X500.

A new X738 with blower is in new car price category, so probably way more than you want to spend.

If you really want a garden tractor, most would say you need at least an X500 series machines. When I was looking a few years ago, a new X584 was about the same price as a used X738. I spent a long time looking trying to decide. I thought the X700 series would be too big for mowing, which is why I went with the used X534. I figured if I didn't like it, I could resell it for about the same as what I had in it. If I bought a new one, I would need to stick it out for several years. But, buying used comes with its own challenges and there is a reason it is cheaper.
I am in the X5** camp as well. You end up with a five lug nut rear wheels and the hydrostat that is meant to work and has been mentioned diff lock. If new is out of the budget there are quite a few not very old used ones out there.
Any of the X500 series will handle it or an X700 series weather 2WD or AWD

I am On 3.9 acres I have and X748. My last place was 5.5 acres and from 2003 to 2014 I ran a 2WD X485(older version of the X730) and My hills were similar to Yous, and It never Had an Issue. I Just wanted a little more weight, so I bought a Used 2012 X748(older Version of an X758) I didn't really need the AWD as the X485 Handled Loader work, Tilling and Mowing and snow removal Just fine. I just wanted to be able to use less ballast at time with the Loader. Do to the weight of the X748, I can get away with running 72Lb wheel weights and 6 suitcase weights if transporting Mulch around.

In Your case, since you're just mowing and doing snow removal and a X580 or above In the X500 series would work as well. I recommend Hydraulic Lift and Power steering, which are great for snow removal with a Blower.

The One thing the X700 does give you Is a bit bigger mowing deck at 60-inches and the deck Can be set Up for Auto-Connect which means You drive Over(AWD) or Back Over(2WD) the deck to Mount and Dismount the 54 & 60-inch decks. As Pointed out above, You get Hydraulic angle for a front Blade (54 or 60-inch) or angling the snow Blower chute (47 or 54-inch Blowers) (y)
Looking for some advice on my first garden tractor. We will be moving in a few weeks to a new home and will need a garden tractor. Have almost 2 acres, that are a little hilly. I would also like to attach a snowblower to clear the driveway. What do you suggest? I have read from a few people online that an X370 with a snowblower attached could not get up a sloped driveway for a few people even with chains. Attaching pictures of the driveway and backyard. Help is much appreciated.

View attachment 883796 View attachment 883797 View attachment 883798
I did a lot of mowing and snow blowing with my 445 from 1994 to 2013 when I got the 1026R and moved the blower from the 445 over to the 1026R. With 72# and 50# wheel weights and Chains I had no issues blowing my 1/10 Mile Gravel Driveway with either tractor (slight up hill to the road). Did I get stuck, maybe once or twice a year ( also get the 1026R stuck, just not as often.) The Dif Lock makes a big difference and is used with the 445 and 1026R frequently. I still do the mowing with the 445 and could not be happier. Is 4WD needed? In most cases, no, but it sure is nice to have when you need it. The hills on my property are bad enough, that my wife will not mow them, only I seem to be stupid enough to tackle them. If the 445 ever quits for good, I will probably replace it with an X7xx 4WD version, but until then I am happy with both of my tractors. I keep the weights on both tractors year around and I did install new Versa Turf tires on the 1026R this fall and still keep the chains on the 1026R year around. The 445 when I used it for snow duty I had to remove the chains when I re-installed the mower deck as there was no clearance BUT I am not mowing a Golf Course, just old Cow Pasture.
You need 4 wheel drive, bottom line. Don't be fooled to think extra weight, locking dif, or chains will do the trick.

Also, a snowblower is the right tool for light, powdery snow, but nowadays we get a lot of slushy, sloppy snow. Snowblowers aren't as good for that, so a blade or pusher is needed. This again will require weight and 4wd.

Look at the 7 series, at minimum. And when you get to that kind of money, you might as well consider the sub-compacts, even though you think you won't need that capability.

It's better to have more capability than you need, than not enough.
Disagree, I blow plenty of wet heavy lake effect snow with my 47" blower. Does it plug up, occasionally, was I better off with my 54" front blade, well I haven't used the blade since the late 90s, I just found the wet heavy snow just pushed the front end all over the place, even tried it on my 1026R in 4WD and it did the same. Was the blade faster, yes when I could use it. Was the plugged blower a hassle, yes, but I have the steel fan and did the rubber wiper mod and I seldom have any more blockages. If I was not physically impaired, I might be willing to swap the blade and blower around as required, but I am also retired so snow removal is now done when I feel like it as I am no longer required to be out and about on a schedule and with all my vehicles now being 4WD, I never have any issues moving.
You need 4 wheel drive, bottom line. Don't be fooled to think extra weight, locking dif, or chains will do the trick.

Also, a snowblower is the right tool for light, powdery snow, but nowadays we get a lot of slushy, sloppy snow. Snowblowers aren't as good for that, so a blade or pusher is needed. This again will require weight and 4wd.

Look at the 7 series, at minimum. And when you get to that kind of money, you might as well consider the sub-compacts, even though you think you won't need that capability.

It's better to have more capability than you need, than not enough.
Reactions: JR Diyer and trav
What state and General Location are You In?
Herminator and I are In North central / North Eastern Illinois, He usually gets 3 or More inches of snow than Me in an average winter snowfall, and we're about 50 Miles apart. This year, winter has been easy for both of us. But Normally we get a decent amount of snow in the winter.
Reactions: Herminator
If it were me, I'd think about a 2025. But I'd go with nothing less than a 1 series.

With multiple chores to be done on acreage, once you into it, you're going to wish that your machine was bigger than a garden tractor.

An X370 is a lawn tractor, not a garden tractor. Like others have said, you really need to let us know what your budget is for us to give you any good advice.
That being said, there is a huge difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor. You may be able to get by with a lawn tractor but a good garden tractor is so much better.
Your budget will dictate whether or not you'll be looking at new or used. If you're working with a tighter budget a good used X500 series tractor with low hours would be a great choice. Having 4WD is nice but not necessary.
Blowing snow with a lawn tractor is doable but it will struggle with anything but light fluffy snow.
Reactions: Rule292
Can't go wrong with a 425/445/455. One of the best machines Deere has ever made.
Staying with the idea of a snowblower as your main winter tool, would you not also want a plow? Maybe not, but I'm just asking.

With a plow you can push things around. Not only snow, but dirt, gravel, brush.

20 some years ago, when I didn't have much money, I went with the JD GT235. While that model no longer made, I just mention it with regard to features and price point. It was a garden tractor because of the heavy duty transmission, a K71. That's where you need to start, not that specific transmission, but something similar. I've heard people suggest the K66 as the min to go with.

My GT235 was (I say "was" in past tense, but I still have it, still use it, even though I now have a new 1025r with loader) non-hydraulic. It was a hydrostatic drive, but no hydraulic lifting. That kept the price way down. No 4wd, no AWD, no power steering, no differential lock. That all keeps the price down. But with the heavy duty transmission, weights, and chains, it could push a lot of snow, get good traction, and was a beast to keep going strong 20+ years later. Also runs a 54" mower deck. All powered by a Briggs Vanguard twin cyl gasoline engine. I don't know what the JD equivalent would be today. My only point here, if you are looking toward the bottom of the JD line with regard to cost, make sure the transmission is heavy duty, and it will probably work for you.

People love to up sell on this tractor forum. It isn't their money. Yes, more money will buy a better tool for the job. But you can still do a lot with rear wheel drive open differential, as long as your transmission is sturdy enough to handle adding weights and take the abuse of plowing. Even if you don't want a plow, you will at times be pushing heavy end of driveway snow/ice with your snow blower.

If you have more money, you buy more expensive tractors with nicer features, such as hydraulic lift, power steering, AWD/4WD, drive over auto-connect deck, rear 3-point hitch, front end loader, etc. Heck, because you think you want to be snowblowing maybe even get a cab 🙂
Reactions: Toonzy and trav
I live in upstate NY and we can get lots of snow here. I would like to stay around 10K in spending. The pitch of the driveway is not too steep
$10K is probably in the right ballpark. You can do well with that budget.

I would suggest going to a dealer and really looking at, sitting on, and driving both the X500 series and X700 series machines to see how you like the feel of them. The X570 (cheapest of the current models) is $7800. With the blower you will only be a little over your price range for new. The X700 series machines would put you at double your budget.

It took me a couple of years before I finally got that I needed a real tractor. I have 10 acres that are wooded and have horses and goats. You probably don't need a real tractor, but there are times it might be nice to have one. People on tractor forums usually give advice based on their experience on their properties. But people are different as are properties. What is excellent for one set could be a really bad choice for a different set.

For mowing, the X500 series machines are great. For blowing snow, I believe they are too. With the X500 series you will need weight and probably chains, but it should be fine for you size driveway.

For me the big advantage of the X700 series is the two spools of hydraulics. That (and the AWD and AWS of the X749) are why I bought one. I love my QH plow on my X749. I also have the QH grapple. I added a mini-skidsteer QA and I can use it with my rock bucket and mini-landplane for gravel maintenance. I didn't see any gravel in your pictures, so you probably really don't need even an X700 series, let alone a 1 series or 2 series (that some others have suggested).

It all depends on what you want and what jobs you want to be able to accomplish. Since you do want to blow snow, I would say the X580 is probably the right one for you. The X590 adds EFI, so easier to start when it is cold, might be an upgrade to consider. I didn't see anything in your pictures that suggested you need AWS. I love AWS and have a property that needs it, but also recognize not everyone needs or likes it.
Because of your post, out of curiousity, I was just looking at the JD web.

As far as I can tell, the x570 is about $2,000 less expensive than the x580. They are the same machine (engine, frame, transmission, wheels) with only a few differences.

The x570 seems to be about the modern equivalent to my GT235. Has heavy duty transmission, and is non-hydraulic.

For $2,000 more, there is the x580 which gets the hydraulic lift and power steering.

I always did fine with manual lift, but it can get a little tiresome manually holding a plow partially up for some job needs (as you age), although you don't have to hold it if all the way up or all the way down. Snowblower may have the same issue, maybe be some times/reasons to hold it partially up. Buying hydraulic lift depends on where the OP is in his life, and how much he wants to spend.

Both the x570 and x580 have the differential lock, which my GT235 does not have. So that is a plus.

Both the x570 and x580 have the same 2cyl air cooled gasoline engine, probably similar to my GT235. The horsepower on these engines is usually not the limiting factor. Instead it tends more to be about the transmission and the weight of the tractor, to get the power to the ground. They can all run a 54" deck no problem, I bet. Also probably plenty of power for the snowblower. The x580 lists as capable of the slightly larger snowblower, but because they have the same engine, I'm guessing that is because of the hydraulic lift, just so things are easier on the owner than with the manual lift.

I looked briefly at the x300 series, and while they do have a snowblower option, that tractor has smaller wheels and a smaller lighter duty transmission. I, personally, would not think the x300 as good of a choice as x500 series for a year round homeowner doing summer grass and winter snow duties.
$10K is probably in the right ballpark. You can do well with that budget.

I would suggest going to a dealer and really looking at, sitting on, and driving both the X500 series and X700 series machines to see how you like the feel of them. The X570 (cheapest of the current models) is $7800. With the blower you will only be a little over your price range for new. The X700 series machines would put you at double your budget.

It took me a couple of years before I finally got that I needed a real tractor. I have 10 acres that are wooded and have horses and goats. You probably don't need a real tractor, but there are times it might be nice to have one. People on tractor forums usually give advice based on their experience on their properties. But people are different as are properties. What is excellent for one set could be a really bad choice for a different set.

For mowing, the X500 series machines are great. For blowing snow, I believe they are too. With the X500 series you will need weight and probably chains, but it should be fine for you size driveway.

For me the big advantage of the X700 series is the two spools of hydraulics. That (and the AWD and AWS of the X749) are why I bought one. I love my QH plow on my X749. I also have the QH grapple. I added a mini-skidsteer QA and I can use it with my rock bucket and mini-landplane for gravel maintenance. I didn't see any gravel in your pictures, so you probably really don't need even an X700 series, let alone a 1 series or 2 series (that some others have suggested).

It all depends on what you want and what jobs you want to be able to accomplish. Since you do want to blow snow, I would say the X580 is probably the right one for you. The X590 adds EFI, so easier to start when it is cold, might be an upgrade to consider. I didn't see anything in your pictures that suggested you need AWS. I love AWS and have a property that needs it, but also recognize not everyone needs or likes it.
X570 with 48" deck - $7800
X580 with 54" deck - $9100

That is $1300. About $300 is the deck size, so about $1000 for the hydraulic deck lift and power steering. The electric blower lift (to use the 47 blower) is about $500, so only $500 more to get the hydraulic lift and power steering. That is not a lot of money when you figure the tractor can easily last 10-20 years.

Deere does a great job of "for only a few hundred more, you can get this great feature". You have to decide what enough is, since more is better will lead you places you probably don't want/need to go.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts