Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So summer is heating up early, and its been pretty dry for the last few weeks. I'm starting to worry that the ever expanding garden is taking too much water from our well to keep going. We have a nice river along the back of our property, so I am thinking through options on using water from that for the garden. I have trails back to the river, but it does take a good 10+ minute drive in the 2038r to go from the garden to the river. So ideally I'd like to have enough water that I can fill a tank up once or twice a week and be able to water from that for the week. I do have 3 IBC totes that seem like they would work good. I use the pallet/cage for fire wood. I was thinking if I could find a wagon like https://www.countrymfg.com/farmers_wagon.htm I could mount 1 or maybe 2 of the totes to it, along with a 12v battery, solar panel, and 12v pump so I have pressure to spray the garden with. Then I'd need a higher volume transfer pump to use filling the tank(s).

The cheapest/simplest way would be to get another tote with the pallet/cage and just cary that in my forks to the river and back. While that would work, I'm not a huge fan of that for a couple reasons. First is a full tote can't be picked up by my tractor, so I'd need to only partially fill. Not a huge deal, but does mean I'll be having to go fill up at the river much more often. The other is the trail, its kinda steep and, carrying max load on the loader a couple times a week seems like it may be pushing my luck safety wise, and loader reliability wise.

Finding a cheep used trailer is easy, finding a cheep used wagon is impossible. A trailer seems more risky with that much weight on it. Balance would be critical for safety.

Transfer pumps seem to be mostly low flow. Electric ones typically seem to top out around 5.5 GPM (330 gal/hour), and with 1-2 totes that would take 1-2 hours to fill. You can step up to a transfer pump with a dedicated motor and get much better flow, but that's another engine to make sure is working. You can also get PTO transfer pumps, but so far those seem like way overkill both in GPM and cost.

The river is only maybe 2' below the bank where I can get the tractor, so I don't need a ton of head pressure for the transfer.

So what are your thoughts on the method of moving the tank, the tank choice, and transfer pump options?

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

·
Registered
765 Posts
just curious ........your really not talking about a lot of water.......why not fill your tanks at the house? ....we have a creek on our property and for water purposes i never fill water sprayers or transfer tanks from the river ....of course i am on a well ...

as far as "delivering" the water i would put tanks on a wagon or something high enough i could water via gravity and take pumps totally out of the mix....IE spend $ on wagon instead of pumps

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
We use totes as well, but we also have a 2555 that can handle them on the forks. My FIL have a gas engine pump that pumps 40 gpm +/-. In your situation I would invest in a wagon and a transfer pump. As mentioned, the wagon gets them high enough to gravity feed. Most transfer pumps are low volume, but the time it takes is more in savings than a well pump or worse, running the well dry.

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
I agree with Pat - a wagon and small transfer pump.

I know I could find many other uses for a wagon like that. Levi bought one a couple years ago and seems he uses just about every day for one thing or another.

I didn’t look at the details of the wagon link you posted but most of them dump. To have a mini dump truck around for hauling stone, dirt, debris etc. would be great around here. The ability to unhook, load it, and hook it back up to haul and dump would be the ticket for me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just curious ........your really not talking about a lot of water.......why not fill your tanks at the house? ....we have a creek on our property and for water purposes i never fill water sprayers or transfer tanks from the river ....of course i am on a well ...

as far as "delivering" the water i would put tanks on a wagon or something high enough i could water via gravity and take pumps totally out of the mix....IE spend $ on wagon instead of pumps
The garden is right next to the house. So I can/do water it from the house's water hose. But that is run off of my well. I don't want to risk running the well dry. It is already supplying my house plus a "guest" house, where the guests are perminate.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Pat - a wagon and small transfer pump.

I know I could find many other uses for a wagon like that. Levi bought one a couple years ago and seems he uses just about every day for one thing or another.

I didn’t look at the details of the wagon link you posted but most of them dump. To have a mini dump truck around for hauling stone, dirt, debris etc. would be great around here. The ability to unhook, load it, and hook it back up to haul and dump would be the ticket for me.
I had been thinking the wagon would be used solely for moving the water transfer system. But I guess I could set it up in a way I use it for the water in the summer, then remove the tanks/pumps and can use it for other stuff in the winter. That does make the expense of a new wagon more stomachable. Yes that one I linked to does have dumping ability. You just need to bring your own hydraulic cylinder, and I do have rear remotes...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I like the wagon idea as well. It you’re talking a lot of weight in two of those totes if it’s what I think it is.

275 gallons each tote is. 550 gallons.

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
That’s almost 4600 pounds. Plus the weight of the wagon.

You’re going to need a pretty substantial wagon to haul that.

I’d then get a gas powered trash pump to fill them.

Old farm wagons can be had pretty cheap. And you could modify one to suit your purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the wagon idea as well. It you’re talking a lot of weight in two of those totes if it’s what I think it is.

275 gallons each tote is. 550 gallons.

Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
That’s almost 4600 pounds. Plus the weight of the wagon.

You’re going to need a pretty substantial wagon to haul that.

I’d then get a gas powered trash pump to fill them.

Old farm wagons can be had pretty cheap. And you could modify one to suit your purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah those are the tanks. I’d like two but realize I may only be able to do one.

So far I haven’t found any farm wagons on Craig’s list. Where else would you recommend looking for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you looked into building a hydraulic ram pump?
DIY Water Pump That Uses No Electricity -Ram Pump- - YouTube
How To Build A Hydraulic Ram Pump pt2 - YouTube

If that creek has a decent slope along your property, it would be simple to do, and youd have all the water you needed without any regular trips down to the creek except maintenance.
Cool idea. Not super practical for my location though. I do have a creek with decent flow but it’s probably 100’ below the garden elevation and 1500’ away horizontally.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If your garden is next to your house, why not collect rainwater and buy an electric pump for irrigation purposes? We do this to provide water for our chickens and garden. Even in the dry period of summer 500 gallons goes a long way. Occasionally I have to fill them up but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
765 Posts
...been thinking about this one...how to do without pumps....i often water fruit trees i have on the rural part of my property with a full size backhoe bucket....just scoup a load of water from creek and drive to trees and use loader and rear stabilizers to picture spout the water around the trees...

in your situation it wouldnt be hard to drill a hole with a fitting in the back of your loader bucket to connect to a hose .....to your tote (how ever your hauling it) .........ie just drive up to water take a scoup raise loader and let it drain into the tote.....repeat till full ....then gravity dump your tote when you arrive at site..

off the wall but just a idea to keep it simple

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
If you decide to pump the water to your garden the 1500 ft you will need around 150 psi to have good pressure at the garden. Pipe water pressure loss for 1" PVC is 49 psi and elevation loss is 43 lbs or 92 psi just to get the water there in a 1" pipe. Cheap trailer and tank on top is the way to go. Then use a $100.00 pump to fill and empty the tote tank.

Here is a cheap one and others on the page that will work.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shop4Omni-4-Stroke-123-GPM-1-1-2-Inch-2-3-HP-Gas-Powered-Portable-Water-Pump/201523733892?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D247bafd5c97a4e6c82997a07d270caef%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D252949332776%26itm%3D201523733892&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

pump.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
I would also do a wagon and tote and gas transfer pump. The pumps are reasonable. You could check out some farm auctions because you might just find a good running gear and then make what you want.

Honestly though I don’t know how deep your well is, typically around here they range from 60’ -120’ for a residential or farm well. Every other place used to be a dairy farm and the wells they used were no different than what our house has. Growing up we had 140 cows and I will bet they drank more in a day than your garden uses. The well just ran and was no more or less reliable than a home one.:dunno:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your garden is next to your house, why not collect rainwater and buy an electric pump for irrigation purposes? We do this to provide water for our chickens and garden. Even in the dry period of summer 500 gallons goes a long way. Occasionally I have to fill them up but it's pretty rare.
That is an option. Would need to add a gutter to the garage to collect it. You don’t have issues with the water growing stuff keeping it long in the tank?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would also do a wagon and tote and gas transfer pump. The pumps are reasonable. You could check out some farm auctions because you might just find a good running gear and then make what you want.

Honestly though I don’t know how deep your well is, typically around here they range from 60’ -120’ for a residential or farm well. Every other place used to be a dairy farm and the wells they used were no different than what our house has. Growing up we had 140 cows and I will bet they drank more in a day than your garden uses. The well just ran and was no more or less reliable than a home one.:dunno:
I don’t know how deep it is either. I know it’s not one of those 200+’ monsters. Maybe our proximity to the river will prevent it from running dry. growing up about 15 minutes from here my parents well went dry a couple times when we used it to fill their pool. I realize that’s a lot more water in a short amount of time... But it really sucked. Maybe I should hold off on these plans until I do have it run dry once first. If it does then I know I need to do something. Otherwise I’ll have saved a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts