Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....So I'm in the yard this weekend near my firepit (back of 5 acres.) I look toward the front of the yard and see (3) large balls of white. From a distance I thought that some Egrets or something had roosted down in the yard. As I watch, I notice they aren't moving at all. Upon closer inspection - I had (3) giant puffball mushrooms blooming in my yard (referenced numerous books, etc. to make sure it was a safe, edible species.)

Check these suckers out!

Inside was a consistent, firm white almost tofu consistency (if yellow, it's not edible anymore - we kept it around to see the change and it's dramatic how yellow it becomes after about a day from picking)

Long dimension across this thing was 18"

Raw had little flavor, but I could see this cubed and acting just like tofu in a dish (sucking up the surrounding flavors and adding volume.)

Tried some fried in a pan with butter (decent), but my wife didn't get motivated fast enough to process a decent amount that first day and we ended up throwing most of it out as it had started to yellow (that one mushroom probably weighed in at 3-4 lbs or so.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to admit, I have never seen anything like that. I'm afraid I would have been looking for the spaceship that it came in on.
First time I've seen it as well. Supposedly these pop up in the same place year after year and "sprout" in about a week. I had mowed that path only 5 days before and nothing was there at that time.

We'll do some research this year so that we're ready when they pop up next year to be able to preserve them. Seems like a great - FREE - foodsource. We try to get everything we can out of our yard - got 6 gallons of blackberries and mulberries this year - great crop.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Had some at the farm a few years ago: Picture 148 (Custom).jpg Picture 154.jpg ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mushrooms, yuck

But those are cool :thumbup1gif:
I'm not big on mushrooms at all, but I was impressed how little "mushroomy" flavor there was to this. I'm always on the look-out for yard edibles - you never know when that kind of knowledge may come in handy.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
We get mushrooms all the time in our yard, not the same as yours, and in various "varieties". But we're not as adventurous as you are to eat them. We're kind of afraid of not knowing what's good and what's "deadly".

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We get mushrooms all the time in our yard, not the same as yours, and in various "varieties". But we're not as adventurous as you are to eat them. We're kind of afraid of not knowing what's good and what's "deadly".

Thanks for sharing.
Did a fair bit of research on these before diving in. All the information we found was pretty clear on what the skin and insides were to look like (color and texture) as well as if there were any poisonous look-alike species (which there aren't for this giant variety of mushroom.)

We've also found what I believe are morels in the yard, but there are nasty varieties of look-alikes on those so we've just left them be.

Never know when you bite into a mushroom if you're going to get a meal, a trip to the hospital, or just have a good time and run around in the yard naked for 8hrs or so laughing and watching flying pigs.:laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Did a fair bit of research on these before diving in. All the information we found was pretty clear on what the skin and insides were to look like (color and texture) as well as if there were any poisonous look-alike species (which there aren't for this giant variety of mushroom.)

We've also found what I believe are morels in the yard, but there are nasty varieties of look-alikes on those so we've just left them be.

Never know when you bite into a mushroom if you're going to get a meal, a trip to the hospital, or just have a good time and run around in the yard naked for 8hrs or so laughing and watching flying pigs.:laugh:
Some of us don't need mushrooms, or any other mind altering items for that! :laugh:

·
Corndog Hater
11,243 Posts
My MIL had one of these in her front yard a few years back. She has them periodically, but none since. And they do grow fast. She called a friend who raced up to get it. He divided into 3 big pieces to share and gave 1 piece to us. I will try just about anything so my wife fried it in butter. I didn't care for it at all! :unknown:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Never seen any that big before. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad everyone enjoyed the wierd adventure in wild food.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are called the breakfast mushroom, they taste like French toast without syrup. We slice them, fry them in butter and put syrup on them. Don't forget to remove the skin or any spores that have begun to turn dark. They wont hurt you, just taste bad.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are called the breakfast mushroom, they taste like French toast without syrup. We slice them, fry them in butter and put syrup on them. Don't forget to remove the skin or any spores that have begun to turn dark. They wont hurt you, just taste bad.
That's a good parallel.

As soon as it yellowed - we tossed it. Wasn't going to risk it.

Next year we'll take better advantage now that we now the when and the where.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have to ask this. What if you make the wrong judgement or miss the right time. Would you just get sick & how bad would it be. Or could it kill you. Back in NY, I would get some rather large shroos but I would always find them when they were a dark brownish-grey color. Wonder if they are the same as yours or something different. Every now & then I would run one over not knowing except for the giant cloud of dust or pollen it would send flyng all over the place. Like setting off a mini A bomb.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to ask this. What if you make the wrong judgement or miss the right time. Would you just get sick & how bad would it be. Or could it kill you. Back in NY, I would get some rather large shroos but I would always find them when they were a dark brownish-grey color. Wonder if they are the same as yours or something different. Every now & then I would run one over not knowing except for the giant cloud of dust or pollen it would send flyng all over the place. Like setting off a mini A bomb.
That's exactly what these do once they are overripe.

When the mushroom is young and edible - the inside should be a consistent firm white consistency. Once it starts to go bad it gets distinctively bright yellow then goes to brown and then the spores will come out as the exterior degrades.

Not sure what would happen if you ate them at the wrong time. There was enough information about these on the internet that I was comfortable giving it a shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts