Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been in the market for a grapple for my 2006 4120. After narrowing my choices I have one last hurdle that I cant find a nice compromise for. Opening width of the top clamps. There really does not seem to be a nice compromise when it comes to what will fit my tractor.
I really had my heart set on the MTL RK5 until I realized that the clamp opening is only 26" That is super narrow for picking up stacked brush piles. Not to mention one will be limited to smaller stumps etc etc.
The grapples that offer a much wider opening have a very shallow tine depth on the bottom of the grapple. while this is good for root work I feel that performance suffers when trying to handle brush and logs etc etc.
The only way that I have found to over come this is stepping up to a skid steer grapple which puts the grapple in the 700-900 pound range. That is far to heavy for the 4120/
So, can anyone here offer any real world experience with grapples in the 650 pound or less range?
Please keep in mind that I want to stay away from the light duty stuff at all costs.
Thanks for any and all input.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Grapple Suggestion

I have an EA grapple, so I might be a little biased. This 60” Model has a 37” opening and only weighs 382 pounds.
Have had mine for a couple of years and it’s very strong and handy as pockets on pants. I have the dual lid model. Some prefer the single lid though. Www.everythingattachments.com

18D4E93C-13D7-4626-BF6E-03170D9F5192.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an EA grapple, so I might be a little biased. This 60” Model has a 37” opening and only weighs 382 pounds.
Have had mine for a couple of years and it’s very strong and handy as pockets on pants. I have the dual lid model. Some prefer the single lid though. Www.everythingattachments.com

View attachment 598682
Is yours the same as the wicked model from everything attachments?
How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently.
Do you have any videos of you working with it?

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Is yours the same as the wicked model from everything attachments? Yes, mine is the Wicked model with dual lids.
How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently. You do have to angle it down some when pushing into a brush pile to get under it, or come down from the top and grab it that way.
Don’t have any of me working in brush piles, but have this one of clearing small trees.

https://youtu.be/r1mtfxLNDYY

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have the Woods 65", which is 680# and made for full size skidsteers up to 10Klbs IIRC. I've smashed it into stumps, picked the rear end up more times than I can count, pried root balls out of the ground, and generally treated it like I don't love it (which is not true!): it keeps on delivering smiles.

Maple stump trail cam.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
W R Long

I have the W R Long 4 in 1 bucket, it's a tank and I've had zero problems. Check out their Grapples as I'm sure they have the same quality.

https://www.wrlonginc.com/grapples

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Using a grapple on brush

How do you find it working when you stick a brush pile to pick it up? Seems to me with the angled bottom at the tips one would have to adjust the angle of attack to pick up brush efficiently.
My son taught me the best way to use a grapple on brush. I slide the grapple with the points angled slightly down under the edge of the pile until it starts to compress. Then while still moving slowly forward roll the grapple down and elevate the lift arms until the grapple is almost at 90 degrees to the ground. Close grapple, roll it back and lift. It sounds complicated but once mastered you get a full load pretty much every time.

I understand your dilemma on getting the right grapple but don't agonize too long. I've got a grapple off a mini skid steer and it's not perfect but is way, way better than no grapple at all. I wish it had a wider opening, teeth closed slightly closer to each other and had more closing hydraulic power. Even with it's faults, anyone trying to take it away had better have a better one to give me or there would be a fight. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My son taught me the best way to use a grapple on brush. I slide the grapple with the points angled slightly down under the edge of the pile until it starts to compress. Then while still moving slowly forward roll the grapple down and elevate the lift arms until the grapple is almost at 90 degrees to the ground. Close grapple, roll it back and lift. It sounds complicated but once mastered you get a full load pretty much every time.

I understand your dilemma on getting the right grapple but don't agonize too long. I've got a grapple off a mini skid steer and it's not perfect but is way, way better than no grapple at all. I wish it had a wider opening, teeth closed slightly closer to each other and had more closing hydraulic power. Even with it's faults, anyone trying to take it away had better have a better one to give me or there would be a fight. . .

Treefarmer
This is the most effective method for picking up piles of brush I have found, it is very effective even for my 2r series and my Artillian grapple with a single lid.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Treefarmer
This is the most effective method for picking up piles of brush I have found, it is very effective even for my 2r series and my Artillian grapple with a single lid.
Also how I pick up small brush piles. I've been pulling Autumn Olive. Making a pile. When the pile looks like a full grapple load I pick it and carry to the burn pile :greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Dad taught me this same trick, as it also works well for getting the best bite on large round bales. With larger tractors/loaders of course. :laugh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lik8e mine John Deere

I like mine

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have an artillian grapple mounted on a 3E series. It picks up brush piles just fine and I just have one clamping jaw on it. Artillian says it mounts on 3 &4 series tractors so it should fit on yours. I do like the looks of the EA grapple someone posted on this thread. The artillian is modular so if you really want, you can get two clamps mounted, that might be better suited for your needs. My grapple combination of two root rakes and one clamping jaw is about the lightest combination out there. Yes, a skid steer grapple is probably more capable but the weight you mentioned pretty much kills the idea for use on a compact tractor.

With respect to stumps, anything my grapple can not get a grip on is something my tractor can't pick up anyways. In fact there have been several stumps I have been able to grab a hold of that my tractor couldn't pick up. Stumps, particularly oak ones are deceptively heavy since the root balls hold a lot of dirt. So do you really need a set of super big jaws for a 4110?

If you don't like the modular set up then my recommendation would be the EA grapple. It is a nice looking set up and appears to have a nice balance between rake depth/jaws etc. I would have bought one when I was shopping for a grapple but ended up with the artillian due to weight and some other factors. I was putting it on a 2210 at the time so smaller size/weight was a big consideration.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an artillian grapple mounted on a 3E series. It picks up brush piles just fine and I just have one clamping jaw on it. Artillian says it mounts on 3 &4 series tractors so it should fit on yours. I do like the looks of the EA grapple someone posted on this thread. The artillian is modular so if you really want, you can get two clamps mounted, that might be better suited for your needs. My grapple combination of two root rakes and one clamping jaw is about the lightest combination out there. Yes, a skid steer grapple is probably more capable but the weight you mentioned pretty much kills the idea for use on a compact tractor.

With respect to stumps, anything my grapple can not get a grip on is something my tractor can't pick up anyways. In fact there have been several stumps I have been able to grab a hold of that my tractor couldn't pick up. Stumps, particularly oak ones are deceptively heavy since the root balls hold a lot of dirt. So do you really need a set of super big jaws for a 4110?

If you don't like the modular set up then my recommendation would be the EA grapple. It is a nice looking set up and appears to have a nice balance between rake depth/jaws etc. I would have bought one when I was shopping for a grapple but ended up with the artillian due to weight and some other factors. I was putting it on a 2210 at the time so smaller size/weight was a big consideration.
Were you looking at the wicked model from EA?
The wicked and MTL rk5 are the two I keep coming back to.
Who would have thought that a grapple choice could be made so difficult.
Maybe I am overthinking the jaw opening?

·
Registered
90 Posts
here is one with the 60 inch frontier John Deere model.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another grapple alternative

I went with a different approach to my needs for a grapple. Most of what I want to do is to pick up brush. I found that forks are ideal for that, since they have a nice straight tine for getting under a brush pile. This arrangement might not be ideal for everything, but so far this arrangement has worked well for me.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/135378-thumb-my-forks.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
MTL customer service

So I had an interesting experience with the company MTL.
I called MTL this morning not knowing what their company hours are. Anyhow a gentleman answered the phone so I assumed they were open for business.
I proceeded to ask the gentleman questions about the rk5 grapple. I stated that I had seen them advertised as having a 26 in opening. But I heard elsewhere that they're in fact larger than that. I do see on their website it shows 26in as well as eBay has several of their products that also showed 26in openings. Anyhow when I proceeded to explain this to the gentleman he told me that perhaps I would be better off finding a grapple manufacturer closer to the area where I live. At that point I told him that I want one of his grapples but I just wanted to clarify some details about them. He again reiterated that perhaps I would be better off finding something closer. At that point I asked him if he is concerned about customer service. He stated plain and simple no. He added that in the last week they've taken over 200 orders for their grapple. I thought great Perhaps it is a good product but customer service still speaks volumes. In many cases customer service is worth more than the product itself. So needless to say I will not be purchasing anything from MTL.
I just thought I would pass this information along and possibly Save Somebody the headache of purchasing their product only to need customer service and find that it's virtually nonexistent. 1.jpg

·
Administrator
17,570 Posts
He added that in the last week they've taken over 200 orders for their grapple.
I find that hard to believe,over 200? In a week?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I find that hard to believe,over 200? In a week?
I also call monkey bird poop on the 200 orders in the past week.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts