Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I rented a towable boom lift to take down some trees and clean the gutter on the barn. I went with the towable lift as it was much cheaper than a drive around model and was able to get one that would go 45 feet up and about 25 feet out. The barn has a lean to attached at the bottom and the gutter is about 35 feet or so up. Anyway I was able to move the lift all over with the 1025 using the bucket hitch I made for it. I was able to take down a section of the pool fence and fit between the poles. Lots of tight areas around the house for that size lift but the JD worked well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
This weekend I rented a towable boom lift to take down some trees and clean the gutter on the barn. I went with the towable lift as it was much cheaper than a drive around model and was able to get one that would go 45 feet up and about 25 feet out. The barn has a lean to attached at the bottom and the gutter is about 35 feet or so up. Anyway I was able to move the lift all over with the 1025 using the bucket hitch I made for it. I was able to take down a section of the pool fence and fit between the poles. Lots of tight areas around the house for that size lift but the JD worked well.
What are those things screwed to the red metal roof?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in upstate NY . When it snows it sticks to the roof, then if the sun warms up the roof enough the snow likes to slide off in sheets or large chunks. Those stop or cut up the chunks on the way down. Helps the gutter not get torn off or things on the ground from getting smashed.

·
Premium Member
19,882 Posts
Snow guard,,, stops

·
Registered
698 Posts
What are those things screwed to the red metal roof?
Checked your location, yep something you would not need in GA ;). I forget the exact name but they prevent an entire roof of snow from sliding off and crushing the person below!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Checked your location, yep something you would not need in GA ;). I forget the exact name but they prevent an entire roof of snow from sliding off and crushing the person below!
Ah, I get it now. Yeah, snow is pretty rare here.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
How's the pucker factor on the lift? The pix look like a long ways up.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wish we had a rental company here I could rent something like that from, nearest I can find is about 150 miles away. Sometimes I miss being near a larger city, but 99% of the time i am glad to be in the sticks.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Where did you get those snow guards?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
My thought as well, at first I was thinking "I need to rent one of those to get some things done." Then I saw the pictures and thought maybe I was being too hasty. 😄 My fear of heights isn't limited to just climbing a laladder and though this is no doubt way safer, I don't know if I could do it. By the time I got used to being up there, it would be time to return it.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually once I got used to it, it was quite comfortable. Not sure how many hours are on that lift but the pins must be quite tight yet as even up high it didn't wobble much. Even when turning and coming to a stop not much over rotation at all. I would do it again without hesitation. Also there are four speeds for every action. you must push a speed button and an action button. Starting out I was using turtle but as I became more comfortable I used the faster speeds.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My thought as well, at first I was thinking "I need to rent one of those to get some things done." Then I saw the pictures and thought maybe I was being too hasty. 😄 My fear of heights isn't limited to just climbing a laladder and though this is no doubt way safer, I don't know if I could do it. By the time I got used to being up there, it would be time to return it.
Depends on motivation :D I had 3 ten inch walnut trees making a mess of the yard and blocking the view for pulling out of the driveway. The gutter on the barn had 2 foot tall weeds growing out of it and everytime it rained it would spill over the edge. I found after I cleaned it that the pitch is not quite right so water stayed in there. So I cut a hole in the gutter and installed a downspout on the end that did not have one. It was $486 for the weekend which is not cheap BUT way cheaper than paying to have 3 trees cut down and gutter cleaned/down spout installed. You can do it! Just ignore the hieght and focus on the job!(y)

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I retired last year but I installed fire sprinklers for 25 years and we would use a lift that you drive that booms out sometimes at 100 feet, that’s getting up there.
I'll bet that takes some getting used to- maybe more than I could take. The older I get, the more respect I have for gravity and 100' seems like a very, very long way down.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually once I got used to it, it was quite comfortable. Not sure how many hours are on that lift but the pins must be quite tight yet as even up high it didn't wobble much. Even when turning and coming to a stop not much over rotation at all. I would do it again without hesitation. Also there are four speeds for every action. you must push a speed button and an action button. Starting out I was using turtle but as I became more comfortable I used the faster speeds.
I've used a similar lift. I'd say about zero. far less sway than some other lifts, especially with the outriggers making for solid ground contact vs ones with tires only that can be a bit more bouncy, boom lifts are fine, scissor lifts are bad, at least the small ones are. Once you get into a big one with a 4X8 or so platform they aren't quite as bad. All that said, you should wear fall arrest in a boom lift. if they start to really sway, they will act like a catapult and throw you out of the bucket. The lift may no actually fall over, but you will w/o being tied to the bucket. OTH with a scissor lift I don't think it matter because once they go, you're done either way.

abd this one you have to watch. looks like ground may of compressed and ot they didn't lower correctly - all lower arm putting unit way off balance

booms can really take quite a bit of bad handling and stay upright, unlike scissors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.