Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I'm still waiting on my air bag recall for the Mustang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received a notice from GM yesterday about my 2012 GMC Z71 leaf springs. Said they could snap and cut a tire. I quote"No need to bring it to the dealer, but if something does happen they got my back". Talk about a warm and fuzzy feeling!!

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm still waiting on my air bag recall for the Mustang.
You and the 69,000,000 other people JUST IN THE U.S. involved in the Takata recall.

It will be 2019 before there are enough Takata airbag replacements - May. 4, 2016

Your vehicle is involved in the biggest recall in automotive history. You can't even begin to understand the scale of the work to fix this thing and it affects almost every single car manufacturer on certain models.

Honestly - I don't think Takata will survive it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Honestly - I don't think Takata will survive it.
I read where just recently they wrote off $159 million towards the recall.
Takata acted like it was just another day at the shop,,, :dunno:

If Takata is only responsible for the parts, and not the labor,,, they could survive.
Who knows, the dealers and car companies might be on the hook for the labor,,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I read where just recently they wrote off $159 million towards the recall.
Takata acted like it was just another day at the shop,,, :dunno:

If Takata is only responsible for the parts, and not the labor,,, they could survive.
Who knows, the dealers and car companies might be on the hook for the labor,,,, :flag_of_truce:
Not how it works. I don't see any manufacturer letting them off the hook on this thing. The costs are staggering.

Suppliers get a HUGE bill when an issue of their making triggers a vehicle recall. The contracts they sign when they are sourced in most cases clearly spell their liability out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Great that makes three recalls for my truck. I just received one yesterday for the glow plug over heating causing fires, prior to that it is a bolt that holds the break pedal arm on.
So in short: I am really screwed, Traveling 70 MPH down the interstate the glow plugs kick in and the engine catches on fire. Slam on the brakes and the damn break pedal falls off. Then to beat it all, if I hit a parked vehicle on the road or hit a tree I will be catapulted through the windshield because the freak'n seat belt broke. Sounds like a great evening traveling down the road in your $60,000 vehicle. I still like my 2500HD Duramax though. :laugh:

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Thanks Keith, I actually heard this this morning. I better check the VIN to see if mine is included. I love the part about the parts not being available and not driving your vehicle until GM has the parts. REALLY?
And I'm sure so much of those recommendations come from the legal departments. The thing to keep in mind is that the threshold for triggering a recall has gotten lower and lower over the years causing more recall type actions, especially after the whole Firestone deal years back. Even things with statistically very rare occurrences trigger recalls all the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,543 Posts
And I'm sure so much of those recommendations come from the legal departments. The thing to keep in mind is that the threshold for triggering a recall has gotten lower and lower over the years causing more recall type actions, especially after the whole Firestone deal years back. Even things with statistically very rare occurrences trigger recalls all the time.
Most definitely.
I looked at my trailer hitch before I took it to the dealer for replacement, and after they removed it I looked at it again. The welds weren't going to win a beauty contest but there wasn't any reason (that I could see) for it to be replaced. GM (and assuming all others) aren't taking any chances, and just covering all the bases for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts