Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(We need a Farm Animal section in here somewhere)

So the Wife is talking about getting a few goats for fun, and to provide a little more work for the Maremmas. She is thinking Pygmy goats, or some other small breed. We have the room, but no barn or shed for them (yet!). Wondering what they would need space wise, security-wise, what are some/any downsides to this idea? I don't think (shuddering at the thought) that she plans to allow them indoors, so at least I am not worrying about that (yet!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would love to have a pet goat or more, but I wont live long enough to care for them. Only other concern may be coyotes etc. I like them fainting goats. We had an Alpine? once, they like to get loose and eat everything.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My granddaughter raises goats for competition. She is up early every morning before school and first thing she attends to when getting home. Hers do not require a lot of room. But they climb on everything inside their pen She exercises them daily I'll text her this eve with more details

Forgot to mention , she also raises sheep for competition too .... I'll find out which is more time consuming

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When I was a kid, our neighbors had goats...I recall coming home one day; a couple of them had gotten out and were standing on top of the neighbor's car.
That would be a dead man standing if it was my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
Goats don't need a full barn but they do need shelter. A small run in shed works. And yeah, if you leave them to roam they'll be all over everything. A fenced in area that they can't break out of is an absolute necessity.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not worried about predators, with 2 Maremmas (and the female is pregnant) we have no concerns on that front.

I wondered about a walk out instead of a barn, would it be enough in the occasionally harsh Pennsylvania winter? How do goats do in winter in general?

Yeah I don't think we would be too thrilled with goats on the car either.

I've seen a few videos on facebook of goats playing on a metal springboard. Pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I wanted to get a couple of goats. But my neighbor has them. There fun to watch but I no longer want to own them. I'm happy petting them through the fence. They always find a way to get out & roam around. There very strong so they are difficult to hold on to. There fun, but too much work to properly care for. My neighbor also has a pony, three dogs & a cow. He's the local HS Agriculture teacher. I think his teen daughter takes care of the animals. I know the cow is here's but when she goes off to college in about a year, she will sell the cow for some school money.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I wanted to get a couple of goats. But my neighbor has them. There fun to watch but I no longer want to own them. I'm happy petting them through the fence. They always find a way to get out & roam around. There very strong so they are difficult to hold on to. There fun, but too much work to properly care for. My neighbor also has a pony, three dogs & a cow. He's the local HS Agriculture teacher. I think his teen daughter takes care of the animals. I know the cow is here's but when she goes off to college in about a year, she will sell the cow for some school money.
Went to visit a friend a few years back who happened to own several goats. We were outside in the yard just visiting when I pulled out a cigarette (yeah, I smoked in those days). His old Billy pranced up and proceeded to take my cigarette out of my hand, before I could get it lit, and ate it. Needless to say, I was surprised. I pulled out another and this time I gave it to him and he promptly ate it. The third time, I finally convinced him that it was for me, and he went away. I told my friend, something to the effect that "Man, I never heard of a goat that liked cigarettes". He grinned, and said "That's nothing, you ought to see him drink beer!".

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I really hope no one would kill an animal just for doing what they do. Maybe I better not return too this thread.
You would be surprised how many knuckle heads do. I have two neighbors (one on each side of me) that are like this. One has sicked his dog on our free ranging chickens because his wife is afraid of birds, the other has killed our pet cat that wandered into his yard. The one that's the cat killer actually spreads broken glass in his flower beds, knowing full well my kids run around shoeless in the yard all summer long. A real couple of jackwagons, let me tell ya'.

Oh, and did I mention that I live in a very RURAL part of Lancaster county? Our animals are the norm, as many of my further neighbors own goats, chickens, cows, pigs, donkeys... Just about any farm animal you can own.

I'm just about ready to bail, sell the house and move. Most likely across the country, you know, find a job somewhere in Tennessee or something and just get outta Dodge. PA's pushing us out anyway with taxes and regulations. Oh, and we just elected a Democrook Governor.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The wife has pet goats, 11 of them. They can be fun and they can be annoying. They work great for keeping the fence line clean but they can alos be hard on the fence, pushing / rubbing. They are relatively trouble free but when there is a problem it is usually major. Their digestive system can be finicky.

As for winter, we have a run in with a floor to get them up off the cold ground and they do fine

This is one the wife bottle fed

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the input on the goats, I learn so much here.

On the issue of people killing animals for no good reason, don't get me started.

Sorry you feel that way about Tom Wolfe, but after Corbett bankrupted the school system we needed to make some changes, I can only hope they are for the better, or I may be following you westward.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
We used to raise goats. We would use a neighbour's billy goat to breed our nannies; billies stink so we never kept one. The female kids were kept or sold for breeding. The male kids we fixed and butchered at 9 months. Love curry goat. Always had Jamican friends that would buy meat goats too.

As far as shelter, we kept them in the barn and let them out to graze and play. In the winter they survived the harsh weather fine in their barn and let them out t play in the snow as much as they could handle.

It was a great experience for our children, from breeding to birthing to butchering.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I've never had goats or been around them much. But, being born and raised Amish I've been around farm animals and the taking care of them and doing for them. The things that has to be done. When we bought this 5.5 acres my wife said that we should get a cow. We'd have milk and it could eat on the land we have. My answer... NO WAY! I'm NOT having a cow or any other farm animal. I would be the one that would have to milk the cow, and it has to be milked every morning and every night. I would be the one taking care of it and we would have an added expense of a Vet. bill, and there would be Vet. bills. Then there was, goats would eat the grass, weeds and I wouldn't have so much to mow. Still going to be Vet. bills. Fence bills. Water bills. Electric bills. You name it bills. I know the work involved in farm animals. Not happening on my watch. Cats, dogs, you bet. But that is all. And nobody but nobody is going to take away from my seat time. I love mowing and chipping limbs and chain sawing and taking care of our land without animals. Yah sometimes it's hard work but I was raised on hard work and like it. But I do not like taking care of farm animals not even chickens. If I had a farm then I'd have farm animals but 5.5 acres is not a workable farm. I do a lot of mowing and we have 2 good sized gardens and now that I'm retired I can actually really do things in the garden on a daily biases and not just when time allows. That is my take on goats or any other farm animal. I understand people like to have animals on their land and I don't mind that but not on my land for me to take care of. Guess what I'm trying to say is look at all the things that is involved and then make your decision and then by all means if you get them, enjoy them and do take care of them as they do deserve that. I guess my rant is over. Didn't mean for this to take off like this. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I really hope no one would kill an animal just for doing what they do. Maybe I better not return too this thread.
I was joking for the most part. I would more likely want to shoot the owner than the goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I almost got goats and may still.

My issue is that I'm not a huge fan of goat meat, and don't want to deal with milking. I try to be able to use what I get from my hobby farm, like canning vegetables and of course eating eggs from the chickens. Goats would just eat and not produce anything excepting enjoyment which is not inconsequential. They can be cool animals to have. Might wait and see if my niece wants to raise them for 4H when she is old enough.

I'm actually going to try a couple heritage breed pigs next year I think.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I almost got goats and may still.

My issue is that I'm not a huge fan of goat meat, and don't want to deal with milking. I try to be able to use what I get from my hobby farm, like canning vegetables and of course eating eggs from the chickens. Goats would just eat and not produce anything excepting enjoyment which is not inconsequential. They can be cool animals to have. Might wait and see if my niece wants to raise them for 4H when she is old enough.

I'm actually going to try a couple heritage breed pigs next year I think.
When the children help out it is great, once they looked at it like work then we sold them. Like I mentioned earlier we kept the females to breed, they were our pets. The poor males had one destiny but even that was a good experience for the children. They are fun animals even if they are just pets, cute and full of character.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Don't get sheep. Sheep lie.

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
If I had goats they would have to be "fainting goats", just because they're funny! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts