Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the 46 A back together and going pulling this coming saturday folks. I did not do any thing to much to this tractor. Fixed some oil leaks and had a cam job done. Ha, before I knew it the crank shaft was out on the floor, so much for fixing oil leaks I guess. Over the last year and a half I made some repairs and set bearing clearances correctly and had the cam reground as well as the followers. Now that the carb is adjusted to what I think is proper she is ready to go to the pull. Since she is back together and in running order i may fart around with the electrical portion as it has electric start and lights. But the next big job is the 50 or the new to me 51 A. One of them is going to be a more dedicated puller, on a budget however. I will make sure to post up how she runs after the pull saturday. Have a good one!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Whoa there.....You forget something?

Pics.....Please....Congrats on the rebuild and let us know how it did...video would be sweet..

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
Good luck! What weight class will it be in?

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys, we went pulling today. I finished dead last with a distance of 189.77 feet. I was not disappointed at all with how it ran and pulled. The 5000 pound class I was in was mixed with a bunch of hot rods and I think 3 stock A's. The other two stockers were gas tractors that will naturally pull a little better than an all fuel with the correct manifold. Next pull I am at I will open the carb a little more and get after the throttle a little harder to see if it will hang in a little longer with a faster rpm. Next tractor I work on will give them boys a better run for their money, I promise.

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
Why such a heavy class? Stock it should be about 3800lbs. My youngest pulls an Oliver 770 in a 5500lb class and that would go farther than an A if it was pulling the A and the sled in that class. It seems like it should be in the 4000lb class my oldest pulls his WD in. He has tried the 4500lb class with it but it just doesn't have the power to compete.

·
Registered
12,599 Posts

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5000 pound was the lightest class. My home pull offers a 4500 class, which is what I weight in at with pressed steel wheels and no weight added. Keep in mind I still have my power lift and pto shaft in the tractor since I play farmer with it from time to time

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
That’s an issue we run into. Ours are factory. Most of the guys that pull gears and other parts out run in the heavier classes so the 4000 is more balanced. The Oliver always does well even against them though because they put a lot of power in a lighter tractor. In the antique class we have a 3 mph limit and it is 3.1 in 1st High so he can run just off full throttle until it spins a little and then open it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tractor runs a little more than stock rpm, since I put governor weights in meant for a B. I planned on getting down the track a little and opening it up to bring rpm up hoping it would rise to 1100 or 1200 and settle just above stock and hang in a little better, but I waited too long. She powered down and then spun out. I was just happy that i spun out and not powered out.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
That pop sounds so good.

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
Here it is folks
thanks for the video-i surely liked watching it. the sled was pushing a lot of dirt there. so ur jd i think done a heck of a job pulling it. over the yrs i enjoyed the tractor pulls, so did my boys growing up. so thanks again AFAN

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be taking her to a few more pulls this year and I plan on posting some more videos. If you guys want to see them i will make sure they make it to this post. The tractor dont look real good now, but i need to work on one for the wifes cousin, then we going to do the body work on and paint both.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
👍 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Reactions: texomakid and Afan

·
Registered
585 Posts
Love the videos. Only a small suggestion, turn that phone sideways. It will take your videos to the next level. Looking forward to your next pull video. That’s just cool!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts