Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I read on yesterday's tractors forum that a guy recalls a service man from the two cylinder era telling him to advance his magneto 4 degrees for more pulling power. I may try this for this coming Saturday pull. Also I have opened the fuel screw on the carb a little ways. The only way I can test the carb is by revving the engine and from idle to wide open throttle, I get a few small puffs of smoke then it cleans up so I am hoping this will help. Also I am getting rid of the monroe seat in exchange for a deere seat that I traded my brother out of, and also a rear work light assembly that I will be putting on my tractor. I am more concerned about it appearing right than I am with it pulling. The next tractor which I hope to start on yet this year a 1951 gas A will be more of a puller. So for today folks have a good one and look for another tractor pull video this weekend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's another video from today. I set the throttle stop at 1200 rpm and let her eat. I am pulling in the 4500 pound stock class. The pull was held in gretna NE. There were over 175 hooks. And I once again placed dead last, but that's ok i had a good time and the tractor ran good.

·
Premium Member
13,683 Posts

Very nice.

Thank you for posting.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
Looks good and your consistent so you have that going for you. It looks like power and traction go away about the same time, this time more traction than power though. What are you running for air pressure in your rears?
It sounded like it said you were from Waterloo but we’re pulling in Nebraska. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
That what I thought, just confused by him. I would try about 10-12. A lot of guys go lower but I would rather not tear up a bead and it looks like you have nice tires. What brand?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
At the next and final pull for me this year I am going to try 5500. I may also let the rpm up a little more. But I had an old timer tell me once to just load her down with weight and pull in a heavier class, and she would be more impressive. I think I had plenty of power until I hit that hole and she started to dig in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My tires are an odd brand I'd never heard of until I got them with my 1950 model. They have euzuke on the side wall. They are a 13.6-38 and have pretty deep bars. I will try to get the tractor out and get a good video of her a little closer and put it up for you guys.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Good pull.
That’s an interesting drag. Is there a skid plate between the axles that carries the weight of the front axle?

Dave

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great video. Looking much better with that phone turned sideways. That looks like fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well folks went pulling today and sad to say I didnt even move the sled. My carburator started acting up and I couldn't make any power even though it would clean up and run wide open very nicley. I am assuming somthing along the lines of rust or crud developed over the last year while it was torn apart in the garage came loose and plugged an idle or load circuit.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
Been there. Some days are like that. Have any sled riders put there foot down like they are trying to help push you yet?

Reactions: PJR832 and rtgt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Never pulled a sled with people, just weight transfer. There was a hole at the start point so the sled operator did help a few guys get going including me but it did no good for me. Like I said a carb issue otherwise I should have had plenty of power to get it moving on my own.

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
Our small local club doesn’t use people for the weight but there is a rider up by the front that stands on the skid to engage and disengage the gearing. Then we have a pullback tractor.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I see, nope our sleds are self propelled. Occasionally the hook-unhook man will ride the sled back and forth but they never have tried to "help" unfortunately.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Too late now but got her figured out, was running a tad on the rich side to make max power and gas fouled the plugs. Tuned the carb back, wired brushed the plugs and she fired up and ran great. O well I guess there is next year.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.