Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making myself NUTS trying to pick out a new tiller for my 1025R. Watched tons of videos and have looked them all up on line. Came down to the decision I am not paying the price for the Deere model as it is over 700.00 more than some of the competition. I THINK I have it narrowed down to two choices. One is the Landpride RTR1250 reverse rotation tiller and the other is the King Kutter TG-48-xb-jk forward rotation. Landpride has 4 tines per flange and the other has 6. Like the green color of the king kutter and the price is decent at about 1600. Landpride is closer to 2k. Both seem to be built very well and I like the idea that they say the reverse rotation tills deeper and makes a finer bed. They do claim that for non worked ground that a reverse rotation is easier on the machine as the forward rotation tends to hop or bounce on packed soil and drive the tractor forward. Seems like the Landpride has more bang for the buck. It says online that the Landpride is also able to be offset which I don't really need. Landpride says it is compatible with the Landpride quick hitch but I have the IMATCH.. I don't know if they are a close comparison or not? Hoping they are so that I can use the IMATCH with the Landpride if I choose it.

What are your expert opinions guys? Help me! I am open to other brands but NOT ORANGE..:mocking:

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,779 Posts
First off, don't go CRAZY or NUTS, it's only a tiller:mocking:. I have the King Kutter 48" on my 1026R. I do not have the XB model though, and the one I have is offset to cover your tracks. It is well matched to the 1 series. King Kutter's are stoutly built, like tanks. I think it is the best value for general homeowner, non commercial use.

I have 12" of beautiful top soil with not many rocks, then it's all just clay under that. The King Kutter will make a nice powdery soil. As for newly broken ground, maybe you might make a couple extra passes without the reverse rotation? I just take my time, let the tiller do it's job and enjoy the seat time and experience. That would also let you spend the $400 on something else.:good2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, don't go CRAZY or NUTS, it's only a tiller:mocking:. I have the King Kutter 48" on my 1026R. I do not have the XB model though, and the one I have is offset to cover your tracks. It is well matched to the 1 series. King Kutter's are stoutly built, like tanks. I think it is the best value for general homeowner, non commercial use.

I have 12" of beautiful top soil with not many rocks, then it's all just clay under that. The King Kutter will make a nice powdery soil. As for newly broken ground, maybe you might make a couple extra passes without the reverse rotation? I just take my time, let the tiller do it's job and enjoy the seat time and experience. That would also let you spend the $400 on something else.:good2:
SO TRUE about the 400$. I was considering buying a nice middle buster to first bust open the ground and then hit it with the XB if I chose XB... I want off of this tiller seesaw! :dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,779 Posts
SO TRUE about the 400$. I was considering buying a nice middle buster to first bust open the ground and then hit it with the XB if I chose XB... I want off of this tiller seesaw! :dunno:
I was actually thinking the same thing....use the $400 for a middle buster, etc.:good2:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ive looked at a lot of them. I almost bought a used Frontier. Missed the deal but refuse to pay the price for a new one. After looking more I really think the County Line YELLOW one at TSC, made by Tarter is the best deal out there. It has gone up to $1499, but still you have 1) gear drive, 2)6 tines 3) heavier than most 4) REVERSIBLE. I have not received mine yet but when I do, I will reverse it before I even fill it with oil. There is a bit of assembly required anyway. Might as well do it all at once. If you do your homework, work with the manager of the closest store, and join their Neighbors xlub, you can end up with a 10% discount ($150) off. You have time to order it now andnpick it up after you get yoyr discount. I saw the 5 footer in their storw and could have gotten a better dral but it sounds like the 4 foot is a better fit, especially in reverse with more hp used. I think bang for the buck, you couldnt beat that model. With what you save buy a couple cans of green paint and away you go!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They all work the ground up. And they will all have challenges if the soil conditions aren't the best (rocky, roots, etc.). The number of tines is unlikely to make a noticeable difference. Forward or reverse rotation is, I think, just a personal preference. I know my King Kutter Professional 60" does a great job. Buy a name brand that meets the size and HP your tractor can handle and call it good. There is nothing about a Deere model that makes it worth hundreds more than the others.

I got my KK 60" for about $1500 two years ago. You should be able to get into a 48" subcompact model for around that or maybe a bit less.

Good luck and enjoy what you get!

Rob

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I will, reluctantly, agree with what most everyone else has said.

Tillers, and most other attachments, arent anything to go crazy over.
If you dont like the color, paint is rather cheap.
I much prefer reverse rotation to forward, but forward will get the job done.

The one thing Id caution on on is buying the XB series tillers.
The spacing of the lower links is wrong for a quick hitch. I think TTWT mentioned this in his videos, and someone else here had a thread about a somewhat simple method to widen the pins to work on the IMatch.

My big issue with buying a tiller is that I want a 54" tiller, not a 48", so Ill be a bit more "crazy" about my decision I think than you are! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
I agree with you on the price of the two "green" tillers. I have a 48" County Line (Tarter), built a lot like the KK and it does the job with no need to look at anything else. Tillers are pretty basic, gear driven or chain driven or forward/reverse rotation are the only real differences. Save yourself some money for another attachment and FWIW, the County Line comes forward rotation but can be reversed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The XB is 48 inch and the Land Pride is 56 total width with like a 52" till path or so. The model is RTR1250. My local JD dealer has the Land Pride. The XB I need to find a Royal King that has one in stock in my area first or have them order it... I did notice the features that the county line offers. I just don't like comments I read on that tiller about shattered gear boxes... Yikes.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I’ve got a Landpride RTA1250 forward rotation tiller. Drops right onto the Imatch with no issues. I like the Landpride but wish I’d gotten the reverse till model you are looking at. Just seems it might bury material a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Consider the County Line (tarter) tiller from Tractor Supply. similar in price to the King Kutter. Centered rather than offset (I know I'm disagreeing with CP here, but a 4' tiller centered behind a 1-series 47 inch wide tractor leaves NO tracks...seems like any offset would INCREASE risk of leaving tracks.).

The benefit of the county line over the KK XB is quick hitch compatibility. If KK made a QH compatible, centered 4' tiller, I would recommend it.

One other benefit of the County Line (Tartar) tiller is that it can be converted from forward rotating to rear rotating tines. ...not easily, but it can be done.

Here is my summary article on the topic of tillers. This article also refers to a video where we show some of the various options. Choosing the Right Tiller For Your Compact Tractor

This is not worth stressing over. Everyone seems to love their tiller. No matter what brand, no matter which direction it turns. I have not heard of ANYONE disappointed in their tiller.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Reverse tine rotation matters more when you're talking about a walk-behind model. On tractor-mounted tillers the tractor has enough mass to not get pushed around so rotation really doesn't play a huge part, in my opinion. Yes, a reverse-rotation tiller might work things up a little better but you can get the same effect by just slowing down with a forward-rotation tiller. If all else is equal get whichever feels right, but don't pay more for a reverse-rotation model.

Rob

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This is not worth stressing over. Everyone seems to love their tiller. No matter what brand, no matter which direction it turns. I have not heard of ANYONE disappointed in their tiller.
This is my experience too... There aren't many complaints about tillers that I've seen. As long as they work, they work.

Rob

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
The XB is 48 inch and the Land Pride is 56 total width with like a 52" till path or so. The model is RTR1250. My local JD dealer has the Land Pride. The XB I need to find a Royal King that has one in stock in my area first or have them order it... I did notice the features that the county line offers. I just don't like comments I read on that tiller about shattered gear boxes... Yikes.
if ur serious about buying from rural king. then wait till their 12% sale comes along. that's what i did-saved a good chunk of money then. i was able to get a green colored one at the Uniontown store.

they are well packaged -imo

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the great info! Tim, I thank you for all of the knowledge that you have bestowed on us! I also just want to drop in and say I just found the Frontier model for an in between price of the land pride and they XB. It is a model RT1149. OHHHHH THAT FRONTIER IS PURDY!:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
if ur serious about buying from rural king. then wait till their 12% sale comes along. that's what i did-saved a good chunk of money then. i was able to get a green colored one at the Uniontown store.
Yep, many sellers will be having good sales coming up in the Feb/Mar/Apr timeframe. I've seen sales in the past at Fleet Farm, Blain's Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc.

Rob

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thank you all for the great info! Tim, I thank you for all of the knowledge that you have bestowed on us! I also just want to drop in and say I just found the Frontier model for an in between price of the land pride and they XB. It is a model RT1149. OHHHHH THAT FRONTIER IS PURDY!:good2:
Congratulations! You'll love it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations! You'll love it!
OOPS. I didn't mean that I bought it. I am just throwing the Frontier into the mix for a 3 way comparison. So far for the price and what I have seen I may just go with the Frontier. There does not appear to be enough SOLID information for me to make the leap to a reverse tine tiller. I know I have tilled with a front tine forward rotation tiller and it was always done a great job. I DO UNDERSTAND there is no comparison, but the tiller for a tractor is really the same thing only on steroids. Being new to the tractor AND tilling with a tractor I am very appreciative of all you guys and your advice!!!:hi:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
OOPS. I didn't mean that I bought it. I am just throwing the Frontier into the mix for a 3 way comparison. So far for the price and what I have seen I may just go with the Frontier. There does not appear to be enough SOLID information for me to make the leap to a reverse tine tiller. I know I have tilled with a front tine forward rotation tiller and it was always done a great job. I DO UNDERSTAND there is no comparison, but the tiller for a tractor is really the same thing only on steroids. Being new to the tractor AND tilling with a tractor I am very appreciative of all you guys and your advice!!!:hi:
You’ll be happy with any of the choices you mention.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought the Frontier tiller with the clutch. I have hit both large metal junk and rocks and large hidden roots . . . nothing bent and no shear pins to replace

When you hit something hard the tiller jumps and the first times you think it must have self destructed . . . but it did not . . . :good2::good2::good2:

Yes Frontier is extra money but damn it works well

1 - 20 of 55 Posts