Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should ask here or over in SCUT, so feel free to point me that way. I've got a 1025R with the JD snow blower, but the past two years these 2" snows are killing me - enough that my wife isn't happy if I ignore it, but not enough to blow unless I set the shoes so low I'm eating gravel. So I want to move to the blade. I've got Artillian forks and love them, just trying to figure out what I actually need.

Basically I'm looking at John Deere 54" Quick-Hitch Front Blade and trying to figure out if I need the $716 of quick hitch (BLV10159). Is that the same hydraulic lifter I already have with the blower? Or is it the part I'll be replacing with a fixed mount anyway? Or do I need the whole set except for the attaching hardware (I'm pretty sure that's the same part number as on my invoice, and anyway I won't be mounting it there).

Or is it worth getting the whole set regardless because the blower would have a much better trade in value with the mounts, if I decide next year that the plow is plenty and it's time to get that tiller at last?

Any advice is very welcome, y'all have been so very helpful over the years. Someday I'll come up with something useful in return.

Thanks,
Seth

·
Registered
311 Posts
You would only need to buy the front blade and an angling cylinder kit for your front hitch. No need to use the loader setup unless you want to. Some like the blade mounted to the loader as you can pile the snow higher than with the stock setup. I'd keep the blower for the deep stuff and use a blade for the lighter stuff.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
You would only need to buy the front blade and an angling cylinder kit for your front hitch. No need to use the loader setup unless you want to. Some like the blade mounted to the loader as you can pile the snow higher than with the stock setup. I'd keep the blower for the deep stuff and use a blade for the lighter stuff.
THIS^
Buy only the 54" blade and cylinder for now-and maybe the wings from Artillian, drop the blower off of the QH, attach the blade and go to work. There are even a few aftermarket blades you can look at too. If later you think you want to put it on the loader-all you'll need in the plow adapter from Artillian.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good point about keeping the blower just in case; even if I don't bother with the PTO setup each fall I could always switch over if I needed it.
It looks like I could get the BLV10159 from Green Farm Parts for an extra $100 (vs mutton's price when bought with the plow) so if it really helped an eventual sale I could pick it up then.

I wish JD made it more obvious. My invoice for the snow blower says "2008" as the code for "Front Quick-Hitch and Hydraulic Lift", and I've never been able to find a manual for that part number, or a mapping to the other part numbers like the BLV parts...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THIS^
Buy only the 54" blade and cylinder for now-and maybe the wings from Artillian, drop the blower off of the QH, attach the blade and go to work. There are even a few aftermarket blades you can look at too. If later you think you want to put it on the loader-all you'll need in the plow adapter from Artillian.
Thanks Kenny, that makes perfect sense! I only really lust after the Artillian setup so I could put a Heavy Hitch receiver plate on the front for a different winch placement (it uses the quick hitch mounting holes); much better to start with the easy solution and do that later once I'm used to the plow if I still want to.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It looks like I could get the BLV10159 from Green Farm Parts for an extra $100 (vs mutton's price when bought with the plow) so if it really helped an eventual sale I could pick it up then.
I wouldn't worry about the hitch affecting an eventual sale of the blower. There are several different hitches and whoever might be interested in your blower very possibly has a different tractor than you. You often see blowers and hitches listed separately. I've bought two used blowers and wasn't particularly interested in whether a hitch was included as I already have hitches for all my tractors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't worry about the hitch affecting an eventual sale of the blower. There are several different hitches and whoever might be interested in your blower very possibly has a different tractor than you. You often see blowers and hitches listed separately. I've bought two used blowers and wasn't particularly interested in whether a hitch was included as I already have hitches for all my tractors.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I bought it with the tractor, I can't easily picture what it'd be like buying it separately, but that makes a lot of sense.

Blade is on its way from Mutton, and just trying to figure out if I can justify a set of 24" forks before I order from Chris as well. Thanks everyone for your help!!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Advice to those wanting new stuff

Thanks, that helps a lot. Since I bought it with the tractor, I can't easily picture what it'd be like buying it separately, but that makes a lot of sense.

Blade is on its way from Mutton, and just trying to figure out if I can justify a set of 24" forks before I order from Chris as well. Thanks everyone for your help!!
This may be the very best forum if you want to spend :gizmo:. There's no end of people willing to help and I actually mean that in a positive way. Even those of us who don't offer an opinion get to lurk and dream about what we could spend cash on.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I use the JD 54" on the loader arms with my Artillian frame and adapter.
I think it's as good as you can get for a plow mounted up front.
You would also need the diverter kit to angle the plow.
It's an investment, but worth it to me personally.:good2:

You have the blower already so just getting the plow to change between may be easier. Definitely check out the Artillian plow wings though.
You can always upgrade later.

IMG_7751.jpg

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
That's a good point about keeping the blower just in case; even if I don't bother with the PTO setup each fall I could always switch over if I needed it.
Once you use the plow on the loader, you'll never need the blower again. With our loader adapter, you'll have one attachment for every possible snow condition that will fall, whether it's one inch of slush or 12" of dry snow. From fall to spring, there's no need to do anything with the tractor but clear snow as it falls. Plus, you'll have the loader on the tractor throughout the season so you can still use your bucket, forks, etc as needed.

It's great that the Deere front hitch can be used for both the blower and blade, but switching back and forth between them isn't fun in the cold winter when you're trying to get to work or to bed. If your tractor is stored in an unheated building and/or if you use the chute adjuster on your blower, it is much less convenient than being stored in a heated building or your exit chute is fixed. If your building is unheated, the snow and ice that builds up top of the quick hitch needs to be removed (as opposed to naturally melting) to change the quick hitch from blower to blade function. If you use the chute adjuster, it's still a wrench job adding and removing the cable from the tractor mount.

In addition, as Joe's video shows, you get far more versatility out of the blade on the loader. With it mounted on the tractor, you'll get just a few inches of lift and doing the job Joe did in his video would take much longer.

These are just a few of the benefits of using our adapter to use the plow on the loader.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Once you use the plow on the loader, you'll never need the blower again. With our loader adapter, you'll have one attachment for every possible snow condition that will fall, whether it's one inch of slush or 12" of dry snow. From fall to spring, there's no need to do anything with the tractor but clear snow as it falls. Plus, you'll have the loader on the tractor throughout the season so you can still use your bucket, forks, etc as needed.

It's great that the Deere front hitch can be used for both the blower and blade, but switching back and forth between them isn't fun in the cold winter when you're trying to get to work or to bed. If your tractor is stored in an unheated building and/or if you use the chute adjuster on your blower, it is much less convenient than being stored in a heated building or your exit chute is fixed. If your building is unheated, the snow and ice that builds up top of the quick hitch needs to be removed (as opposed to naturally melting) to change the quick hitch from blower to blade function. If you use the chute adjuster, it's still a wrench job adding and removing the cable from the tractor mount.

In addition, as Joe's video shows, you get far more versatility out of the blade on the loader. With it mounted on the tractor, you'll get just a few inches of lift and doing the job Joe did in his video would take much longer.

These are just a few of the benefits of using our adapter to use the plow on the loader.

Thanks
I'm not going to argue that it's handy and nice to have the blade on the loader, but I'll still keep my blower.
Being able to get that 12" (or more) of snow 30' (or more) away from my drive with no piles is priceless.
Neighbors have piles higher than their vehicles along their entire driveway from pushing snow. Mine is only about 3'-4', the height of the drift.

Better would be rear blower and loader/plow on front, but my front blower came in the deal!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts