Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post of potentially many posts…

I know this is a JD forum so I know what to expect, but I also hope many members had the same consideration or consternation for other brands before going JD.

Why am I buying a SCUT/CUT TLB? This is a luxury purchase for me, not a need. On 2 acres of “in progress-final stages” manicured lawn. HOWEVER, property has 20+ oaks and ash, elm trees which results in an unbelievable (LCOs turn down the job to remove the material) amount of leaves to remove each fall and spring cleanup of branches. I am landlocked by 4 neighbors which is also a challenge.

I have a commercial ZTR, have a Trac Vac, have a truck, have a trailer, have lots of nice Stihl equip (see sig), BUT have a miserable time loading (pitch/manure fork) leaf and other spring/fall debris to the transfer station. Basically, I empty my Trac Vac behind my 12x20 shed and then kill my middle aged self every weekend loading the debris before making trips to the dump to remove it. Finally going to break down and buy a TLB for those and other various reasons (tired of paying LCO $1500 to lay mulch every spring, have several areas in need of considerable fill due to sink holes, love doing the work myself , sick of the wait for LCOs to actually show up (if ever) etc).

So I don’t need to be talked in/out of the purchase.

I do need reassurance that a JD 1025R is the best choice. Kubota is out, no dealers locally. JD dealer I am working with is meh but has several branches in New England. Local Massey/Yanmar dealer (literally one mile away) is a hardcore agriculture dealer that moves more Masseys and Yanmars than anyone in my region. Neighbors have Yanmar, NH, Ford, MF GC1725MB, BX23S, etc so little tractors are very common in our four season, heavily treed town.

Do I go 1025R TLB for the $3k premium versus the Massey GC1725MB? Why?

Local Massey/Yanmar dealer can also put me in a SA424 TLB for the same price as the 1025R. Don’t need the SA424 capability but at the same price (cheaper actually) than the 1025R why not go this way?

Can you share your story? I know this a more common than not consideration for a first time SCUT/CUT TLB buyer.

*edited to add that I have physically sat on all the models referenced. All felt good ergonomically but the seats on all left much to be desired (especially when compared with my ZTR seat)

Reactions: Rule292 and glake

·
Administrator
22,426 Posts
I wish you could see the majors differences in quality and ergonomics between the two machines. I always attend the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville KY. This is a fantastic way to compare just about all tractors side by side. You can literally walk across the aisle after seeing one machine and sit on another completely different color machine.

There are lots of great machines out there. Do you want the best or do you want to save a few bucks?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Compare them all in person if possible. The Deere is assembled with much better fit and finish than any of the competitors. IMO Kioti and maybe Kubota is probably closest. At the Louisville farm show a few weeks ago all the tractor makes were there and it was easy to walk over and compare them to each other within minutes.
Deere parts availability is second to none too. Resale is top tier too. Plus this forum is a wealth of knowledge about anything you may have questions about.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Odds are resale value of Deere vs a massy alone would always keep you $3k added investment intact.

Massy is part of Agco I know some of their tractors are built in China, I am not sure if the subcompact are made there or not.

The GTT Deere community that you see here in this forum , is likely substantially larger then what you would ever find as a massy owner. Many people find dealer knowledge on small subcompact tractors very limited, so having a vast knowledge base like this forum can prove be very helpful. Both purchasing, owning, servicing etc.

·
Registered
John Deere 4052r
527 Posts
For me it came down to an apples to apples comparison between Deere and Kubota. Like others have told u, put your hands on as many different tractors as u can. If top quality is what u r looking for, u will find it. Conversely, if cutting a few features and some quality to save some cash is your goal, u can find that to.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have yet to take delivery of my 2025R, but I went through the same mental exercise a year ago as I was making my decision on which direction to go. For me, it was a lot of what already has been mentioned. But in addition, it was the "extra something" that JD brings to the table. The superior ergonomics, autoconnect mower system, the quick-attach loader and backhoe systems which seems to be the top of the industry in design and implementation, etc. Also, I have no doubt that next year, 5 years from now, 20 years from now, that I will be able to get parts for my tractor if I need them.

And as mentioned, the resale of the JD will almost certainly be better from a value retention perspective in relation to most other brands apples-to-apples which largely negates the initial premium if there was ever a thought to sell it down the road.

Just my 2cp...I don't get any compensation from the sale of JD equipment. Best of luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My decision came down to the salesman. I wanted kabota as my dad has one so l was familiar with the brand. But I stopped in to check out Jd 1st. Salesman was on his game with info and answered all my questions . I then went to kabota dealer which I knew from work relationship. (I am a ups driver)
Kabota salesman must have thought the sale was in the bag. Was short with answers and uninterested in conversation.
I returned to Jd dealer and filled out paperwork without even sitting on a Jd tractor. I wish I had found this site before buying. I would have added pallet forks and versaturf tires. No regrets from me. Glad I went green.

·
Registered
1025R, Z930M, GX345
58 Posts
Love my 1025R. Funnily enough it is powered by a small 3cyl Yanmar that bears a pretty close resemblance to a 3YM marine block, so maybe you can have JD and a Yanmar at the same time!

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,863 Posts
I can honestly say I have never seen a Massey SCUT........in use, on a dealer lot, etc. which tells me something. Many people purchase what is easy, but some will buy the best regardless of cost and if its really that good, they will make the effort to get what they want, even if that means extra effort, etc. I see the Massey 1500 Series is "back by popular demand"......does that mean the model was made and then discontinued? If so, why and when?

They promote they added a mid pto but I also see from the website its got a 3 speed Hydro which for running on the pavement, is nice. But if you aren't transporting the machine by driving it, I can't see the benefit of the 3 range on the Hydro on the small machines.
The Massey website is surprisingly.......vague. Other than the very round two headlights on it, I really don't see the type of detail I was hoping for, seeing the engine compartment access, etc. It looks sort of like a TYM tractor, with the control layouts and the style. in fact, it resembles the Rural King 24 HP machine in many respects, from what little of it I can see on the website.

Sounds like its either a new model or the return of a model which was discontinued when they talk about "bringing it back with the features and benefits of the residential tractor owner" or however they stated that comment.

I have seen Deere, Kubota, Kioti, TYM, Bobcat and many other small tractors, but I can't say In have seen a Massey. I didn't see anything about it which I would prefer over the Deere equivalent. Also, in the past, Agco charged for their 0% financing option, by selling the machine at a higher price than if you paid cash for it. When you pay a premium to get "0% financing", is it really a no cost loan?

I would get a cash price and a o% interest finance price and see how much the loan is really costing. At least on their SCUTS, Deere doesn't charge for the low cost loan programs.

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
Back in the day when I was looking I originally planned on Kubota. But, as it turned out, when I sent requests for info to 5 or 6 different dealers in my area the Kubota dealer ignored me. In fact only the Deere and Kioti dealers responded. When I put together comparable machines the pricing I git back was almost identical between them. The Deere dealer was closer and was really pushing harder for my business. So I ended up with a Deere.

I still like the 'Botas My neighbor has one and it kicks my butt in the snow every time. The Deere I bought was built for Deere by Yanmar and I'd have no problem buying a Yanmar if there was a dealer around. I still occasionally get the itch to buy a grey market Yanmar to have as a 2nd machine. (Have I mentioned that I really like Yanmars?)

So yeah, the 1025R will do what you say you want to do. The machines from the other guys will do it too.

So look at the intangibles. Will the (Insert brand here) dealer still be there in 5 years? 10? How confident are you in finding parts 10 years form now? How reliable is the dealer you have access to right now? If that dealer goes away, how close is the next dealer for that brand?

If you buy a new machine you'll get a warranty. Your relationship with your dealer will determine how useful that warranty is to you. So consider all of that in your decision.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Love my 1025R. Funnily enough it is powered by a small 3cyl Yanmar that bears a pretty close resemblance to a 3YM marine block, so maybe you can have JD and a Yanmar at the same time!
Back in the day when I was looking I originally planned on Kubota. But, as it turned out, when I sent requests for info to 5 or 6 different dealers in my area the Kubota dealer ignored me. In fact only the Deere and Kioti dealers responded. When I put together comparable machines the pricing I git back was almost identical between them. The Deere dealer was closer and was really pushing harder for my business. So I ended up with a Deere.

I still like the 'Botas My neighbor has one and it kicks my butt in the snow every time. The Deere I bought was built for Deere by Yanmar and I'd have no problem buying a Yanmar if there was a dealer around. I still occasionally get the itch to buy a grey market Yanmar to have as a 2nd machine. (Have I mentioned that I really like Yanmars?)

So yeah, the 1025R will do what you say you want to do. The machines from the other guys will do it too.

So look at the intangibles. Will the (Insert brand here) dealer still be there in 5 years? 10? How confident are you in finding parts 10 years form now? How reliable is the dealer you have access to right now? If that dealer goes away, how close is the next dealer for that brand?

If you buy a new machine you'll get a warranty. Your relationship with your dealer will determine how useful that warranty is to you. So consider all of that in your decision.
My 2025 is a Yanmar-made Deere as were many of the earlier CUTs. That would be a brand I would definitely take a look at if you have a dealer nearby. Deere has been using Yanmar engines for about 40 years.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I went with my 1026R because my quick hitch equipment from my 445 would fit and I wouldn’t have to buy a new blower and front blade. I went with the 445 because the dealer was only five miles from me. All of the other brands are forty plus miles away. I have no regrets on my choice. BIL went Deere also and my baby brother went Branson, never heard of them before. Local dealer for all of us where we live. I believe the dealer is the most important part of the deal and a top tear brand like JD or Kabota would be the best choice again depending on the dealer

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
30 years ago, at the closing on the house we live in, I paid the owner cash for his 212 that had a blade, wheel weights, chains, good mower deck & a rototiller....sold it all 20 years later for 3/4 of purchase price, bought a X300R, used that for 5 years or more & had no compunctions about walking into my local JD one Saturday morning a couple years ago to purchase a 1025R TLB and adding some more goodies since then.....it was cool when my orange neighbor showed up & asked for a demo on the autoconnect MMM........"that's slick" was his report.......

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Massy isn’t a bad tractor. But Deere makes switching attachments easer and I have a JD 5 miles from me. The other brand dealership is 30 - 40 miles from me. My tractor is no longer new, I have had o issues with the tractor, a few minor issues with attachments.

If you main use is going to be loading stuff you may want to look at a little larger tractor. Lift hight might be an issue with the 1025. I don’t think I can load into my truck with it. But my pickup is lifted is it’s taller than most.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Kubota and Deere nearby for me . . . . comparing the two, several years back, the Kubota although capable looked like an older generation machine, was missing a lot of the little improvements the 1025r had and with no real price advantage. I was coming from an older Deere garden tractor that was great and still running (still is at my brothers house) so choice kind of made itself. I don't think I would consider any brands beyond those two.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
OP,
So you live in the northeast, as do I. I looked at them all, even after having driven many JD tractors, past and present. I like the Massey tractors very much, just not as much as I like the JD tractors. I like Kubota tractors and even owned one. My wife was driving it and the forward/reverse combo pedal stuck in reverse. It was gone the next day. New Holland (Ford) makes a fine tractor, but it's hard to find dealers. TYM and all of their offspring offer plenty of features but have no one to fix them when they break.

JD is a different animal. Plenty of service available, plenty of dealers, parts, attachments, upgrades, etc.. JD also makes what many, me included, feel are the finest tractors made. They run and run, work and work and wear that running Deer with pride. You'll no regret ever buying a Deere.

We are fortunate to have United AG. Great company, outstanding service, and low prices. Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: Gangrene and glake

·
Registered
2020 1023E
37 Posts
Mine had a defective driveshaft (missing a grease fitting), intermittent trouble code on dash that the dealer cannot fix, and misadjusted mower deck which the dealer cannot fix. The dealer charged me $225 for labor and transportation despite all three being an issue from delivery new. Check with your dealer before you buy if any defects or misadjusted stuff will be on your Nickel. The dealer makes or breaks your satisfaction. Being a disabled vet I wanted the drive over deck and would do it again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts