Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
161 Posts
First post of potentially many posts…

I know this is a JD forum so I know what to expect, but I also hope many members had the same consideration or consternation for other brands before going JD.

Why am I buying a SCUT/CUT TLB? This is a luxury purchase for me, not a need. On 2 acres of “in progress-final stages” manicured lawn. HOWEVER, property has 20+ oaks and ash, elm trees which results in an unbelievable (LCOs turn down the job to remove the material) amount of leaves to remove each fall and spring cleanup of branches. I am landlocked by 4 neighbors which is also a challenge.

I have a commercial ZTR, have a Trac Vac, have a truck, have a trailer, have lots of nice Stihl equip (see sig), BUT have a miserable time loading (pitch/manure fork) leaf and other spring/fall debris to the transfer station. Basically, I empty my Trac Vac behind my 12x20 shed and then kill my middle aged self every weekend loading the debris before making trips to the dump to remove it. Finally going to break down and buy a TLB for those and other various reasons (tired of paying LCO $1500 to lay mulch every spring, have several areas in need of considerable fill due to sink holes, love doing the work myself , sick of the wait for LCOs to actually show up (if ever) etc).

So I don’t need to be talked in/out of the purchase.

I do need reassurance that a JD 1025R is the best choice. Kubota is out, no dealers locally. JD dealer I am working with is meh but has several branches in New England. Local Massey/Yanmar dealer (literally one mile away) is a hardcore agriculture dealer that moves more Masseys and Yanmars than anyone in my region. Neighbors have Yanmar, NH, Ford, MF GC1725MB, BX23S, etc so little tractors are very common in our four season, heavily treed town.

Do I go 1025R TLB for the $3k premium versus the Massey GC1725MB? Why?

Local Massey/Yanmar dealer can also put me in a SA424 TLB for the same price as the 1025R. Don’t need the SA424 capability but at the same price (cheaper actually) than the 1025R why not go this way?

Can you share your story? I know this a more common than not consideration for a first time SCUT/CUT TLB buyer.

*edited to add that I have physically sat on all the models referenced. All felt good ergonomically but the seats on all left much to be desired (especially when compared with my ZTR seat)
I had a Cub Cadet 982 with a leon's loader for 15 years. I decided one day i wanted 4WD. I sold my CC and started looking. The only tractors i considered was JD Bota and LS. LS never called me back so that nixed them. I went and test drove a JD 1025R and liked it. I went to check out tthe Botas and all their used stuff was faded all to hell. I also liked the JD loader better than the Bota loader and they had a nicer drive over deck which i have never put on my 1025R. I made the choice to go green and haven't regreted it. Good luck you'll enjoy what ever choice you make. Kent

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's what you need to consider:
1. Dealer support -> which one seems to support you better
2. 1025r vs 1725
  • 1025r has position control
  • 1725 has a little better hydraulics, they only send around 2 gpm to steering rest to implements, 1025r splits
  • 1725 has skid steer loader -> attachments a little less expensive
  • 1025r has hyd oil cooler, 1725 a plastic fan

If you never plan to mow with it I think hard about the Massey and save the $3k.

One the other consideration is parts. There are several sites to buy JD parts online, not so much with agco.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It was gone the next day. New Holland (Ford) makes a fine tractor, but it's hard to find dealers. TYM and all of their offspring offer plenty of features but have no one to fix them when they break.
New Holland is now owned by Fiat and part of CNH (Case-New Holland). The NH CUTs sold in the US are made by LS Tractors.
Depending on location there can be plenty of dealers in your area.

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
New Holland is now owned by Fiat and part of CNH (Case-New Holland). The NH CUTs sold in the US are made by LS Tractors.
My experience with LS is that there are indeed plenty of dealers. But those who are dealers today may not be dealers next week. They seem to pop up and then disappear quickly around here. Most of them are gas stations that also sell tractors. (Or trailer or boat dealers that also sell tractors.) There appears to be some sort of stability thing going on with LS dealers and I'm not sure why that is.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
For less than the cost of a 1025 TLB, I could've got an RK 25 TLB. A much more capable machine with SSQA on the loader. Being locked in the JDQA attachments is extremely limiting to my ability to find desirable attachments. It's like the Iphone of the tractor world......
So i have regrets but I can't get out of my situation for now.... Food for thought.

FYI: My dealer is absolute garbage. Some say to buy the dealer that takes care of you. Following that advice would've saved me trouble. Even if RK offered no support, I'd still have the same as I do now. I can turn my own wrenches if needed......

Font Number Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

Reactions: Green_Ghost

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
My experience with LS is that there are indeed plenty of dealers. But those who are dealers today may not be dealers next week. They seem to pop up and then disappear quickly around here. Most of them are gas stations that also sell tractors. (Or trailer or boat dealers that also sell tractors.) There appears to be some sort of stability thing going on with LS dealers and I'm not sure why that is.
To be clear I meant there were a lot of NH dealers if get in an area with more ag equipment dealers.
For less than the cost of a 1025 TLB, I could've got an RK 25 TLB. A much more capable machine with SSQA on the loader. Being locked in the JDQA attachments is extremely limiting to my ability to find desirable attachments. It's like the Iphone of the tractor world......
So i have regrets but I can't get out of my situation for now.... Food for thought.

FYI: My dealer is absolute garbage. Some say to buy the dealer that takes care of you. Following that advice would've saved me trouble. Even if RK offered no support, I'd still have the same as I do now. I can turn my own wrenches if needed......

View attachment 827927
The JDQA is a simple, lightweight attachment method. I don’t see those attachments being hard to find or more expensive than SSQA when buying new. If you’re looking at used there are more SSQA attachments but many of them are not sized for a SCUT. You can always use an adapter from JDQA to SSQA.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Thanks for the correction. It sucks to get old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you all for the responses. The feedback was very helpful. I purchased a Kubota B2601 (blasphemy, I know!). While JD and Massey dealers were within 20 miles, once I broadened my search to within 50 miles, several Kubota dealers were located and the B2601 hit on all my needs. I hadn’t even considered it!

Reactions: SRG and trav

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m a newer 1025r owner and this is my first one, borrowed my brother in laws ancient Kabota before I got my tractor. Also have driven some older equipment over the years. I’m also a Stihl fan, so I’m def biased in the quality tool department. That being said the number of convenience features that Deere machines have, quick attach buckets, loader parking stand, drive over deck the placement of grease zirks, air filter design ect I could go on. After the sale I have also come to appreciate the number of aftermarket parts and accessories (Ken’s Bolt on Hooks!!!) have helped me dial in the machine even more. I’m sure could be happy with an orange machine but buy once cry once I’m quite happy with my Deere and I’m sure I would miss the features that I have now. My advice would be get a single point quick connect for your loader, I love mine. Best of luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
First post of potentially many posts…

I know this is a JD forum so I know what to expect, but I also hope many members had the same consideration or consternation for other brands before going JD.

Why am I buying a SCUT/CUT TLB? This is a luxury purchase for me, not a need. On 2 acres of “in progress-final stages” manicured lawn. HOWEVER, property has 20+ oaks and ash, elm trees which results in an unbelievable (LCOs turn down the job to remove the material) amount of leaves to remove each fall and spring cleanup of branches. I am landlocked by 4 neighbors which is also a challenge.

I have a commercial ZTR, have a Trac Vac, have a truck, have a trailer, have lots of nice Stihl equip (see sig), BUT have a miserable time loading (pitch/manure fork) leaf and other spring/fall debris to the transfer station. Basically, I empty my Trac Vac behind my 12x20 shed and then kill my middle aged self every weekend loading the debris before making trips to the dump to remove it. Finally going to break down and buy a TLB for those and other various reasons (tired of paying LCO $1500 to lay mulch every spring, have several areas in need of considerable fill due to sink holes, love doing the work myself , sick of the wait for LCOs to actually show up (if ever) etc).

So I don’t need to be talked in/out of the purchase.

I do need reassurance that a JD 1025R is the best choice. Kubota is out, no dealers locally. JD dealer I am working with is meh but has several branches in New England. Local Massey/Yanmar dealer (literally one mile away) is a hardcore agriculture dealer that moves more Masseys and Yanmars than anyone in my region. Neighbors have Yanmar, NH, Ford, MF GC1725MB, BX23S, etc so little tractors are very common in our four season, heavily treed town.

Do I go 1025R TLB for the $3k premium versus the Massey GC1725MB? Why?

Local Massey/Yanmar dealer can also put me in a SA424 TLB for the same price as the 1025R. Don’t need the SA424 capability but at the same price (cheaper actually) than the 1025R why not go this way?

Can you share your story? I know this a more common than not consideration for a first time SCUT/CUT TLB buyer.

*edited to add that I have physically sat on all the models referenced. All felt good ergonomically but the seats on all left much to be desired (especially when compared with my ZTR seat)
Try Kioti if you got a dealer within 75 miles. I made the mistake of buying JD due to dealer proximity.....big mistake as they will not service what they sell and when I contact JD directly am told only the dealer can solve issues. Go figure. I looked at several other options and am not sure I made the correct choice.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Try Kioti if you got a dealer within 75 miles. I made the mistake of buying JD due to dealer proximity.....big mistake as they will not service what they sell and when I contact JD directly am told only the dealer can solve issues. Go figure. I looked at several other options and am not sure I made the correct choice.
What kind of service are you needing that JD won’t provide? Model of machine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought an LS about 11 years ago, best tractor I ever owned, I do mechanic work on Tractors, Hoe's and Dozers, the local JD place does not even have a mechanic, when I go in to get parts they ask about going to work for them, not even going for that, Home repairs pay good, Cash and the person brings and picks up the machine and do go out for the ones that won't start, I charge more to work on a JD and even more for a Kubota, the older models we and are more dependable, make sure they can service whatever you buy unless you can do the work, resale value on anything is about how it looks and how much the buyer is willing to pay, hope you have an enjoyable experience.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I bought an LS about 11 years ago, best tractor I ever owned, I do mechanic work on Tractors, Hoe's and Dozers, the local JD place does not even have a mechanic, when I go in to get parts they ask about going to work for them, not even going for that, Home repairs pay good, Cash and the person brings and picks up the machine and do go out for the ones that won't start, I charge more to work on a JD and even more for a Kubota, the older models we and are more dependable, make sure they can service whatever you buy unless you can do the work, resale value on anything is about how it looks and how much the buyer is willing to pay, hope you have an enjoyable experience.
Usually people who buy a brand other than JD will quote poor service or something of that nature. They don't own a JD, so any statements of that type are purely speculation, and that speculation is almost always from a troll attempting to justify their budget price Chinese purchase. And just to help them out I'll point out that you won't find JD mechanics at the local Piggly Wiggly.

• Haha
Reactions: Gangrene

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. The feedback was very helpful. I purchased a Kubota B2601 (blasphemy, I know!). While JD and Massey dealers were within 20 miles, once I broadened my search to within 50 miles, several Kubota dealers were located and the B2601 hit on all my needs. I hadn’t even considered it!
And the 2601 has a single point FEL hydro connect as well as actual turning Brakes.
Nice choice.
So how did the price compare?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Like many, I as well am biasedd and bleed Green (tractors and snowmobiles). Tho the OP said he ended up w/a Bota, one unit not mentioned at all was Mahindra. Likewise, unless I missed it, no mention of Deeres hydro pedals VS a treble pedal. Go team 758!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
When I was looking for a tractor I was forced to purchase a Deere. You see my mother's first job was at JD in Moline back in 1940. When she heard I was looking to get a tractor she picked up the ol yard stick, waved it at me and in her motherly stern voice said "I don't care what tractor you buy but it better be painted Green and yellow!!" Her meaning was clear.

I learned a long time ago when Mom waves the stick at you, you best be mindful of what she says..🥰

And to answer the OP's questions. NO

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
My decision was heavily based on my local dealer. I used to work for them and I’m still friends with them. I watched them bend over backwards to try and make customers happy.

With that said I still shopped around when I was looking for my tractor. Kubota was over an hour away. The Massey GC was very tempting and I was impressed with the machine. But the Covid economy caused the dealer to close. I wanted to give the yanmar a try but nobody in my state had one instock. Kioti lost me when the salesman didn’t know his own machine but the tractor itself test drove good.

So ultimately it came down to the dealer more than the machine for me. I knew my Deere dealer would be there for me in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing to point out. The yanmar SA is closer to the deere 2r series. So if you can get into a SA TLB for the same price as the deere 1r, that’s a significant upgrade.

But ultimately buy based on your local dealer and their customer service.

·
Registered
2022 JD 1025R, 120R Loader, SB1154 snowblower, 54" mid-mower, HLA 900 lbs forks.
271 Posts
I went through this, for me it was JD1025R or Kubota BX2380. The 2 dealers are less than 1 hour away. All the other brands were out of the questions for me because around here, there's 2 tractor dealers (JD and Kubota), and a bunch of RV/boat dealers that also sell tractors like Kioti, LS, TYM, MF, etc. Service is important with any tractor, so all the RV dealers were out since they're not that good at servicing RVs, can't imagine tractors.

Plus for JD: drive-on autoconnect mower, more loader lift capacity, and in stock
Plus for Kubota: 3000$ cheaper, but moot point, non in stock until late June, early July.

Reactions: justaguy
21 - 40 of 51 Posts