·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,865 Posts
Reactions: jlh0057

·
Registered
251 Posts
This site is populated by innumerable skilled, knowledgeable, helpful folk--that should say something for the Deere buying public. You won't get me to flame other brands: there are many good tractors out there and in any of OUR brands you get lemons. To peel the lemons you need a responsive manufacturer and a reliable dealership. I am pleased with my deere and wouldn't change. That said however, I find the quality of documentation (which is the lifeblood of your preventive care of your new pet) is ABYSSMAL!! who wrote this crap and did anybody PROOFREAD the [email protected] thing? really (they needed Stephen King as an English teacher). It was under a year when I had sent my beast in for unnecessary repairs (which due to poor documentation all round the dealership didn't even know truth from lie) because the manual contained irrelevant, misleading data for totally unrelated models. I've tried to do my part with errata rewrites here. Thats the benefit of HERE. Many makes do not have a forum with as knowledge-based, driven citizens. Go ahead, feel safe buying green, and when in doubt trust your brothers and sisters herein.

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
225 Posts
I have a 1026R. What I like about it, are the foot pedals versus the treddle pedal on a Kubota, and the 3pt will return to the same level each time, versus fiddling with one that just drops. I don't really use it to mow, I use it to maintain my hunting club, and it does really well, pulls an almost 6ft disk in high gear, and it will flat mow down some junk with the flail mower I have. It's a very solid tractor and the yanmar engine is a proven workhorse.

Spend some time on the ones you are looking at, not just driving them around. Hook up implements, take the mower deck off.

I work with a guy who has an L series Kubota, he says it takes him 45 minutes to swap out his disk for his bush hog. I can swap implements in less than 5, without a quick hitch. Those are the kinds of things that you may think aren't a big deal now, but when you do it alot, they are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First post of potentially many posts…

I know this is a JD forum so I know what to expect, but I also hope many members had the same consideration or consternation for other brands before going JD.

Why am I buying a SCUT/CUT TLB? This is a luxury purchase for me, not a need. On 2 acres of “in progress-final stages” manicured lawn. HOWEVER, property has 20+ oaks and ash, elm trees which results in an unbelievable (LCOs turn down the job to remove the material) amount of leaves to remove each fall and spring cleanup of branches. I am landlocked by 4 neighbors which is also a challenge.

I have a commercial ZTR, have a Trac Vac, have a truck, have a trailer, have lots of nice Stihl equip (see sig), BUT have a miserable time loading (pitch/manure fork) leaf and other spring/fall debris to the transfer station. Basically, I empty my Trac Vac behind my 12x20 shed and then kill my middle aged self every weekend loading the debris before making trips to the dump to remove it. Finally going to break down and buy a TLB for those and other various reasons (tired of paying LCO $1500 to lay mulch every spring, have several areas in need of considerable fill due to sink holes, love doing the work myself , sick of the wait for LCOs to actually show up (if ever) etc).

So I don’t need to be talked in/out of the purchase.

I do need reassurance that a JD 1025R is the best choice. Kubota is out, no dealers locally. JD dealer I am working with is meh but has several branches in New England. Local Massey/Yanmar dealer (literally one mile away) is a hardcore agriculture dealer that moves more Masseys and Yanmars than anyone in my region. Neighbors have Yanmar, NH, Ford, MF GC1725MB, BX23S, etc so little tractors are very common in our four season, heavily treed town.

Do I go 1025R TLB for the $3k premium versus the Massey GC1725MB? Why?

Local Massey/Yanmar dealer can also put me in a SA424 TLB for the same price as the 1025R. Don’t need the SA424 capability but at the same price (cheaper actually) than the 1025R why not go this way?

Can you share your story? I know this a more common than not consideration for a first time SCUT/CUT TLB buyer.

*edited to add that I have physically sat on all the models referenced. All felt good ergonomically but the seats on all left much to be desired (especially when compared with my ZTR seat)
I am looking to buy a scut/cut too. The thing that is probably my top priority is how hard is it to maintain. I am not very close to any dealer of any size. Closest is a Kubota dealer 20+ miles away and there is a brand new JD dealer almost next door to him that is part of a regional chain so 0 local reputation. The next closest dealers are 40 or 50 miles away. So for me routine maintenance needs to be something that does not require me to fill the swear jar and believe me I have one that has been filled many times taking the deck on and off of my JD x500 garden tractor. I'll never buy another belly mower again. I don't care if they swear it is a drive over and easy as pie, just something about driving over a piece of equipment with a tractor that just doesn't seem right isn't there?

So the upshot is any brand/model tractor I think I might want I don't look at what it can do first but how hard it is to change the oil, transmission fluid, filters etc. But that is me. If you plan to take your mower to the dealer for that stuff it does not need to be a consideration as long as the dealer has reasonable turn around times on service calls.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think they are fairly easy to maintain, but so was the Kubota I owned for 10 years to. Onebad thing, there is a grease zerk on one of the driveshafts that is tough. I’ve taken 10 minutes or sometimes 2 minutes to do this one grease point but I’ve always gotten it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can honestly say I have never seen a Massey SCUT........in use, on a dealer lot, etc. which tells me something. Many people purchase what is easy, but some will buy the best regardless of cost and if its really that good, they will make the effort to get what they want, even if that means extra effort, etc. I see the Massey 1500 Series is "back by popular demand"......does that mean the model was made and then discontinued? If so, why and when?

They promote they added a mid pto but I also see from the website its got a 3 speed Hydro which for running on the pavement, is nice. But if you aren't transporting the machine by driving it, I can't see the benefit of the 3 range on the Hydro on the small machines.
The Massey website is surprisingly.......vague. Other than the very round two headlights on it, I really don't see the type of detail I was hoping for, seeing the engine compartment access, etc. It looks sort of like a TYM tractor, with the control layouts and the style. in fact, it resembles the Rural King 24 HP machine in many respects, from what little of it I can see on the website.

Sounds like its either a new model or the return of a model which was discontinued when they talk about "bringing it back with the features and benefits of the residential tractor owner" or however they stated that comment.

I have seen Deere, Kubota, Kioti, TYM, Bobcat and many other small tractors, but I can't say In have seen a Massey. I didn't see anything about it which I would prefer over the Deere equivalent. Also, in the past, Agco charged for their 0% financing option, by selling the machine at a higher price than if you paid cash for it. When you pay a premium to get "0% financing", is it really a no cost loan?

I would get a cash price and a o% interest finance price and see how much the loan is really costing. At least on their SCUTS, Deere doesn't charge for the low cost loan programs.
The Massey Fergusson 1526 was brought out to compete with the JD 2025R. It is a little heavier with bigger tires then the GC1700 series Just as the 2025R is a little heavier with bigger tires then than the 1025R but with basically the same power train. I think the 2025R also has a three range hydrostatic tranny but someone here can correct me if I am wrong. The Massey I believe is built in Japan by Iseki who also builds the engine. Massey and Iseki have a long and extensive partnership just as JD and Yanmar. Yanmar, Kubota, and Iseki are the Ford, GM, and Chrysler of Japanese tractors.

BTW the guy who put the oil filter of the MF1526 in an all but unreachable place should be shot.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Wish I'd gone orange back in 2013 when the sales guy talked me into the lemony 1025R to replace my 4010 that blew apart the front driveshaft Ujoint. The B2301/2601 were fairly new then, and there weren't many Kubota dealers nearby. Now, we have 3 within about 35 miles. Actually, I drove 2 hours to get the B2601 we have now because none of the closer ones had any loaders. The B2601 is MANY TIMES better than the JDs. Even uses at least 1/3 less fuel. No driveshaft Ujoints.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Back in the day when I was looking I originally planned on Kubota. But, as it turned out, when I sent requests for info to 5 or 6 different dealers in my area the Kubota dealer ignored me. In fact only the Deere and Kioti dealers responded. When I put together comparable machines the pricing I git back was almost identical between them. The Deere dealer was closer and was really pushing harder for my business. So I ended up with a Deere.
This was almost exactly my tractor buying story as well. I arrived at the Kubota dealership with check in pocket and was totally ignored. I guess I didn't look the part of a serious buyer. I walked out, drove down the road to the Deere dealership, sat on and drove a 1025R and I was the owner of that same tractor within 30 minutes of walking into the Deere shop.

Unfortunately that long-time local Deere dealership was bought out by a chain, and all my good contacts were quickly gone. This happened within my first year of ownership. There is no way to predict things like that happening. though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been around machinery all of my life, most of it involving nuclear submarine propulsion plants ($$$$$).

I needed a small tractor but knew nothing about them, and watched a ton of videos and read a ton of writings (including this forum). Over time my desires went from obtuse to practical. I'm not uber wealthy but most importantly needed value - I wouldn't mind saving several thousand dollars but needed a quality, reliable machine.

I eventually went with a JD owing to the dealer network, which provided assurance of support so that I can get the parts support if and when needed. Additionally, the JD engineering appealed to me.

I might have saved a few thousand on a non JD purchase, but none had the dealer JD network.

YMMV

41 - 51 of 51 Posts