Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy gang! I have been researching SCUT and small CUT tractors over the last month, which led me to GTT. I've found a wealth of info, and feel that I am better informed as to my upcoming purchase. I currently have a 420 and a 430 JD in my stable. The 420 is in great shape, but is getting older, and I've found a need for a tractor with a front end loader. As such, I've pretty well decided on a new 1025r with the H120 loader, a 60D Auto Connect MMM, iMatch hitch and a 647 tiller. The thing I'm having trouble with is deciding if I should spring for the extra $4500 for the backhoe equipped unit. The 420 has pretty well been relegated to tiller duty (setup with the three point hitch, rear PTO and a 48 PTO tiller). I currently have 2 acres, all flat except for the ditches along the highway, and spend most of my time mowing. That said, I have the 430 setup with a 60"mmm, and I have an older Walker front mount that mows the "nice" yards around the house. I have about half a dozen projects planned where the backhoe would be the perfect tool for the job. I was wanting to know if anyone here that bought a TLB unit regretted spending the extra on the backhoe? I know I can rent a mini excavator for about $250 per day around these parts, so 10 jobs would pay for over half of the backhoe purchase price. I enjoy spending time on my other equipment, and find it relaxing, so not too concerned about taking longer to use the small hoe. Thanks for any input, and I look forward to contributing to the forum!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Well, it kind of sounds like you have already rationalized half the back hoe expense with up coming projects. Other costs to think about is the time and expense involved with picking up the rental equipment and then returning it. It adds up. Next is availability of rental equipment. Lastly and most importantly, is the frustration of having to repair rental equipment or having to deal with something well used and worn out. So those reasons should go along ways towards the other half.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have about half a dozen projects planned where the backhoe would be the perfect tool for the job. I was wanting to know if anyone here that bought a TLB unit regretted spending the extra on the backhoe? I know I can rent a mini excavator for about $250 per day around these parts, so 10 jobs would pay for over half of the backhoe purchase price.
I don't know how your projects go but if I had half a dozen projects that could use the hoe, that would be about 15 days of rental, more or less! Lol!!! Plus the hassle of going to pick up the mini excavator every time I wanted to use it.

I bought the tlb and have used my backhoe exactly three times. I don't regret it at all. You gotta do what works for you though.

Sounds like you've got a good amount of projects already and I'm guessing you'll find plenty more.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The backhoe will never be cheaper than taking advantage of the zero finance unless you somehow manage to find a well cared for 260 used and complete (rare). Part of my rationalization was that it would stimulate greater interest if I ever had to sell the tractor. I have found it to be a very interesting thing to operate and cash permitting, I have many feet of drain tile needed in my yard. I think it will be good to get better at operating the 260 than renting one unit one time and then another unit some other time. I have relatively clay soil with few rocks and it has no problem at all taking full bites. Medium and up tree stump removal will require a very large excavation and likely root sawing and take a lot of time though. Added bonus is it makes about the sexiest ballast that can be hung back there!

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
No regrets here, it has been indispensable :cheers: The rentals around here are for an 8 hour day for a JD 110 are closer to $500....easier to justify, clearly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When my wife and I were making the tractor purchase, "I" wanted the backhoe because:

1. It looked cool on the tractor. Yes, I admit my number one reason for wanting it was because it looks cool.
2. I could use it to dig up the stumps from the fallen trees at the cabin.

My wife wanted the backhoe for the tractor because:

1. She didn't want to buy a tractor and then later have me lament "I should have just bought the backhoe..."
2. Zero percent financing when purchased with the tractor.
3. It is all one complete unit from the factory.

If it's something you're considering now, it's much better to take the plunge now rather than add it in later. It's a specialized digging tool, but it's a godsend when you need to dig. This spring/summer I have to trench in a larger propane line and run power out to the detached garage. I would dread the projects if I had to use a shovel but at this point I'm waiting for the ground to thaw so I can go out and play.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We are happy to help you spend your money :gizmo:

I bought the TLB about a year ago and have never even thought of regretting it.
I like having the hoe available whenever I decide I want to use it instead of having to schedule a rental and then working non-stop the entire term to "get my money's worth".

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I replaced my 420 last July with a 1025r. I chose not to get backhoe. Thought long and hard about it but living here 25 years and not doing any real digging projects the past 10 years and being a 63 yr old big guy don't see any digging in my future. The one tHing I wanted to suggest to you is get the 53" bucket on front. It's the best 50$ upgrade going. You will see a lot of the 420 & 430 in the 1025. My420 moved to my sons house and they love it. Good Luck:good2:

Reactions: OxPath and Levi

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Read my signature . I purchased my tractor without the backhoe because of the added cost . Regretted it and paid higher cost to add it later . Just my .02 . Good Luck . :cheers:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Never once regretting getting factory installed backhoe. I love that thing.
It doesn't get used all the time but it's there when i need it. And as you get older two joysticks feel better than one wooden no joy stick.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Read my signature . I purchased my tractor without the backhoe because of the added cost . Regretted it and paid higher cost to add it later . Just my .02 . Good Luck . :cheers:
Same for me except now, without JD 0%, I can't swing it.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,797 Posts
match, I don't have a 1025r but the BH on our 2320 sure comes in handy.
If you need to do a project and try to schedule a rental that is not available the project won't get done. With owning the BH it will be available on/at your schedule.
As with the tractor itself, some/a lot of projects will get done BECAUSE of the tractor.
If you like working outdoors (it appears you do), owning the tractor and BH will open up a whole new world of possibilities and projects.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sure glad I got the backhoe. I've only had my 1025R for 4 months, & have already used my backhoe quite a bit. Granted for me, it was never a question whether I wanted the BH. I wouldn't have bought one without. Besides the projects I already had lined up, I like the piece of mind of just having it for the if/when. It's probably the most cost effective way to own a BH.

While not a big piece of equipment, this backhoe is pretty capable. In the few months I've had mine I've already done some trenching in very rocky/shale ground. Pulled several stumps out, couple of em pretty good size, & helped a buddy dig out a pond. Granted, it takes longer than a Case 580 but, it can & will get the job done. I believe if I had better soil, my bh would be a champ.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bought ours as a 1025R FILB (factory installed version) and have zero regrets. It gets more use than you might think, not just digging holes but also lifting/moving rocks, downed timber and things too heavy to handle unassisted. We added a mechanical thumb and use it for loading large sections of cut wood, stumps and large rocks. Used it with slings to move large concrete items. Even use it for landscape planting in areas with lots of roots or rock and loosening planting beds in locations where the only alternative would be that or hand tools.

It also makes for a dandy counter-weight for FEL work :laugh: ...

Nick

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I regret NOT getting a BH. :banghead:

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Bought our 1025r in May 2014. Didn't get the backhoe due to cost. That's the only regret I have with my purchase. I could have used the backhoe for three projects last year and have three more this year. Looking into renting a 1025r TLB to do the work.

Get it now if you have the need. Trying to coordinate rentals with time, weather and availability is not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought a 1025R a couple of years ago with out the backhoe. After about a year of use I realized how much the backhoe would help. Traded the tractor in for a new 1025R TLB. Very happy.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have never regretted getting the backhoe.
The tractor overall isn't very strong, so for tough digging jobs, the backhoe is sometimes the only way to get it done.
I hate renting stuff like this. Often I want it only for a few minutes.
Sometimes I use it simply because I'm too lazy to use a shovel...on a project where a shovel would get the job done. I would NEVER rent a backhoe for these jobs.
Also, I love helping the neighbors. The backhoe really does major tasks which can't be done by hand.

Get it!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I have no regrets purchasing the backhoe. It's my $4500.00 shovel and I use it like one.

... the tractor and BH will open up a whole new world of possibilities and projects.
And a whole bunch of friends with minor excavation needs!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I have never regretted getting the backhoe.
The tractor overall isn't very strong, so for tough digging jobs, the backhoe is sometimes the only way to get it done.
I hate renting stuff like this. Often I want it only for a few minutes.
Sometimes I use it simply because I'm too lazy to use a shovel...on a project where a shovel would get the job done. I would NEVER rent a backhoe for these jobs.
Also, I love helping the neighbors. The backhoe really does major tasks which can't be done by hand.

Get it!
I should have typed slower. I would have just quoted your post and added "I agree!" Great minds ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts