Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I’m going to go checkout a Ferris is2100 . It’s a 2019 model with 12 hrs. 28 HP vanguard 52” cut, is there anything other than the usual things to check . I have been cutting for the last 17 yrs with a 48” Encore walk behind and decided it’s time for a ZTR. I have done a lot of research feel this will suit my needs with ride comfort, productivity, commercial durability and parts availablilty.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The folks I know with a Ferris mower like them. I got a Country Clipper ZTR with a joystick instead of the 2 handles in front of your face. Works for me, threading around the sneaky gardens my wife planted. Though, I am thinking of getting a bigger Ferris if I can't get my Turf Blazer 727 running again. That 72" deck and 45hp 4-cylinder engine was handy. I could even mow rocks without a problem. Not quite a ZT but close enough.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
My brother has a Ferris and he thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Says it’s very well built and reliable

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Seasled

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I had a 48” Ferris with 25HP vanguard when we lived in WI and loved, alll of my neighbors had them. We had dealer support. The local New Holland dealer was the Ferris dealer. Once the wife tried itboutbI never got to use it again. She hated mowing on the 2305. We sold it with the house in WI and a ZTR would not work well on our current lot. Have no clue what to check out on it .

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Seasled

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Been mowing with my IS2000 for about four or five years now. It's a beast, built like a tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

try one of these love it! best deck and striping kit in the business.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Once you mow with four wheel independent suspension, you are spoiled forever.

One thing I found is that on generally small to average bumps/dips and whatnot, the faster you mow, the smoother the ride is with the Ferris.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once you mow with four wheel independent suspension, you are spoiled forever.

One thing I found is that on generally small to average bumps/dips and whatnot, the faster you mow, the smoother the ride is with the Ferris.
Just like my Ski Doo!👍

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I’m pleased, what use to take me 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs with the walk behind , took me 1 hr today and I was smiling the whole time. No sore hips and no dog sh_ t on my sneakers !
Huge Win !!!!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Good luck. One thing I've not been able to find anything about is how the different ones are in getting that deck off and out from under there, etc.

Back in the 80s, we got a Scag for the church property. It had one big wheel underneath the seat that rotated through some cables to an airplane-like aleron control wheel. The 3 bladed deck would crank up with a cable hand winch. Could literally remove the blades in about 5 minutes, sharpen them and put the back in another 5 minutes. Of course, with the single wheel, it never ever tore up that grass.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@RalphVa , I don’t see servicing the deck as an issue, whether my jack with jack stands, I beam hoist, tractor or car lift , one of those things will get the job done . I believe Wright Mowers which is a front mount mower has the onboard service winch, as do most front mount mowers like the three wheeled Skag you described.

·
Registered
82 Posts
nice mower, but ride quality is priority one !
good luck! Suspension seat and priority one should be workmanship and quality. I had Ferris will never own anothe.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm down to either a Ryobi or an EGO electric ZT. HD has Ryobi. Lowes has EGO. Can get veteran discount to cover most of the added cost of the EGO. Do not want to get into the hauling of a lot of gasoline again like I had with the portable generator.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oh, I found videos on how to service the decks on typical ZTs, for both the Ryobi battery (no belts) and Toro gas. Relatively easy, just not as easy as the old 80s Scag was. A lot more easy than underbellies because of no PTO.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I just bought and returned a Ferris ISX2200 with a 60" deck. The ride was phenomenal, but the engine vibrated badly thru the frame and foot rest, the quality of cut was awful and because of the angular mower deck, I couldn't trim near as closely as my Scag Tiger Cat ll does. If Ferris isolated the engine vibration and put a Scag Velocity deck on their machine, it would hands down be the best on the planet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts