Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (15) wants to buy a Model A. I collect garden tractors. Beyond they are big and green and weigh more than my trailer can hold I don't know much.

What are the problems with these tractors? It appears to be mostly restored, looks like an older restore. I think it's electric start but, not sure.

It doesn't have a 3pt, we would like one, what does it take to convert it? Will I be able to find the parts on a budget (I'm really cheap)?

Based on what I've seen it's reasonably priced. If I like it I'm likely to buy it. That's how I got started with the garden tractors. lol

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice...and pithy comments.

Mike

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
A's are great. Super simple, low parts count, lots of parts readily available, a great classic in every way. :thumbup1gif: I have the newer version, a model 60.

There's a kit to put a 3ph on the A for about $800. You can find them pretty easily on eBay. You may have luck finding a used kit. I see them once in a while on CL here.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We didn't get connected today. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Good luck, Mike. I can't add any more info than what Jason did. Myself, I would love to have a H, M, or a 40, biggest size I would want is a B or 50. But I would prefer a wide front than the tricycle fronts. I can find them easier in the Ms and 40s, but not so much in the Hs and Bs, etc.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
MT (tricycle M) is a great little tractor you might consider. Spent some time on one yesterday dragging a parade wagon around town. At about 22HP and 2300 lbs they are very nimble.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy never called me back. He'd been emailing my son. Didn't hear from him yet so I'm not holding out much hope at this point. Maybe they just went away for the weekend. lol

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a call from the guy today. He posted it for sale and went on vacation. He called this morning 5 minutes after I called another guy about a different one. The first one looks like a newer restore. We are going to look at it tonight.

If it's as good as it looks I'll probably own it. Just what I need, another tractor! lol

Conveniently, my neighbor parked a 14K trailer in my backyard last week.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Good luck, Mike. I hope you get it so we can enjoy the pics in the morning.:good2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got a 1949 Model A and love it.

This has been my first Johnny Popper and so far it has been pretty easy to work on. Like everybody else has been saying they are easy to fix and work on. It has been relatively easy to find parts. Also, most of the parts catalogs and manuals are free online.

If it is in your price range I would definitely pick it up. It would be a great project for the family to get it back to its shining days.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ran good, looked good, drove good, everything worked as it should. It will need rear tires in the future. I bought it! We are going to go pick it up this evening.
The guy was talking himself down on the price, made me a little sad, I love to wheel and deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
That is a nice looking tractor, Mike. Makes me feel warm inside.:greentractorride:

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Nice machine, Mike. Looks great. So is this your tractor or Josh's?:mocking:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
:good2:

Very nice.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it home just before sundown last night. I'm not a huge fan of swinging the front tires over to back it down the ramp.

Guess I'll have to leave work a couple of hours early today so we can go play!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Nice story, and a happy ending. Maybe you were not supposed to own the first one and the second one looks like a winner.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
It looks better with each new picture.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I ducked out of work early and we went out to the farm. There were 3 guys working on a phone junction box across the road. Nick got the A out of the shed and started driving around in the pasture, it's about 3 acres. He was just driving around trying to figure things out.

I noticed one of the phone guys had stopped working and was just watching Nick. I watched him watch Nick for more then 20 minutes. He didn't go back to work until Nick shut the tractor off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts