Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been comparing the 1026r and the bx online and have been favoring the 1026 due to auto connect feature. Yesterday I went to the dealer to try on the 1026, I like the seat and the fact that it has armrests. Then I asked to see the autoconnect work. The salesman who was introduced as Mr. Tractor could not make the deck disconnect, the rear pins were hanging up. The service manager came out and beat on them with a rubber mallet and it finally released, he said the parking lot may not be perfectly level. Then it took another 10 min. and a good beating with the mallet to get the deck to connect, again the rear pins seemed to be the culprit and again the parking area was not ideal for the system to work. Then I asked to see how the loader detatched and attached. The latches that are mounted on the frame were stuck, they wouldn't even unlatch with the aforementioned rubber mallet, it took a crow bar to force them open. The saleman said that there must have been some paint keeping them from working properly.

I am willing to spend the extra 2 grand for this machine with these options so my wife could if needed remove the loader and attach the deck. If these functions are not fully functional however I feel that the extra money is too much for a fancy seat. The dealer seemed fully satisfied that the parking area was the culprit with the deck, and that paint was the issue with the loader. I will not purchase this machine unless the deck can be connected and disconnected on the dirt floor of my barn, and the loader issues are delt with. I am willing to speak to any dealer in the western Iowa/eastern Nebraska area if they have one of these machines that works properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Planetalker, you need to search on auto connect deck to see the minor problems some others
have had with the auto connect feature. Also, check YouTube, search: "John Deere 1026R" and
you will see some good videos posted there.
Don't forget this is a brand new model which is sure to have a few bugs no matter how much field
testing is done in advance.
Others who have had these similar problems that have posted both here and on another tractor site
have had them fixed by the dealer. I'm sure your dealer will fix any issue you may have. Just make
sure when they deliver the tractor they connect/disconnect your attachments to your satisfaction.
Having owned both John Deere and Kubota in the past, you can't go wrong with either one.
Your reason for wanting the auto connect is a good reason along with the fact none of us are getting
any younger and climbing up and under the old bones start cracking.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hogboy,

Thanks for your reply, I have read the posts on this forum about the autoconnect. My problem is that it appears the John Deere dealer is ok with simply explaining away the problems. ie: "not a perfectly level driveway, and paint preventing smooth operation"

I am re stating my offer to any dealer in western Iowa or eastern Nebraska who would like to sell a fully functional 1026 to post contact information here.

Planetalker, you need to search on auto connect deck to see the minor problems some others
have had with the auto connect feature. Also, check YouTube, search: "John Deere 1026R" and
you will see some good videos posted there.
Don't forget this is a brand new model which is sure to have a few bugs no matter how much field
testing is done in advance.
Others who have had these similar problems that have posted both here and on another tractor site
have had them fixed by the dealer. I'm sure your dealer will fix any issue you may have. Just make
sure when they deliver the tractor they connect/disconnect your attachments to your satisfaction.
Having owned both John Deere and Kubota in the past, you can't go wrong with either one.
Your reason for wanting the auto connect is a good reason along with the fact none of us are getting
any younger and climbing up and under the old bones start cracking.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the loader is anything like the 200CX on my 2520 then you lower the loader until the front wheels are off the ground. This relieve all the pressure on the latches, then you lift the latches. Then when you raise the loader, if pivots forward and off the tractor. May have just been a stupid salesman who is not familiar with the product.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been comparing the 1026r and the bx online and have been favoring the 1026 due to auto connect feature. Yesterday I went to the dealer to try on the 1026, I like the seat and the fact that it has armrests. Then I asked to see the autoconnect work. The salesman who was introduced as Mr. Tractor could not make the deck disconnect, the rear pins were hanging up. The service manager came out and beat on them with a rubber mallet and it finally released, he said the parking lot may not be perfectly level. Then it took another 10 min. and a good beating with the mallet to get the deck to connect, again the rear pins seemed to be the culprit and again the parking area was not ideal for the system to work. Then I asked to see how the loader detatched and attached. The latches that are mounted on the frame were stuck, they wouldn't even unlatch with the aforementioned rubber mallet, it took a crow bar to force them open. The saleman said that there must have been some paint keeping them from working properly.

I am willing to spend the extra 2 grand for this machine with these options so my wife could if needed remove the loader and attach the deck. If these functions are not fully functional however I feel that the extra money is too much for a fancy seat. The dealer seemed fully satisfied that the parking area was the culprit with the deck, and that paint was the issue with the loader. I will not purchase this machine unless the deck can be connected and disconnected on the dirt floor of my barn, and the loader issues are delt with. I am willing to speak to any dealer in the western Iowa/eastern Nebraska area if they have one of these machines that works properly.

I have the 1026R with 60 D auto connect deck, here in eastern Nebraska... works great. See the videos I posted earlier.... can give you my dealers name if you would like.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
If the loader is anything like the 200CX on my 2520 then you lower the loader until the front wheels are off the ground. This relieve all the pressure on the latches, then you lift the latches. Then when you raise the loader, if pivots forward and off the tractor. May have just been a stupid salesman who is not familiar with the product.
You are absolutely correct! If the loader is not supporting the tractor those latches are next to impossible to unlock. But, done properly the latches are very, very easily operated.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I would suggest a different dealer if you go with John Deere. ZFind one who is willing to work with you and show you how and why things work or do not. If a parking lot is not level enough, will your garage, driveway, or lawn ever be? IMHO, there is a setup issue with the auto connect and many dealers do not take the time to do it properly and they do not test it after installation.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased a 1026R. I now have 16hrs on it. I did have some deck trouble with the connect, I installed a heavier spring as mentioned an it works fine. I have a H120 loader, lower the bucket, tilt the bucket to raise the front wheels, take your foot and push up the latch. Now lower your bucket and disconect your hydraulics and away you go. I looked at the less expensive D120 loader and opt for the H120 due to ease of disconnect. THe H120 connects equally as easy as the disconnect.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are there adjustment wedges in the loader's mast pockets that can and should be adjusted? I would check out the owners manual and if there are adjustable wedges in the mast pockets I would not buy from Mr. Tractor..... excuses are the first sign of a shyster.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Love my 1026R, my auto connect works just fine disconnecting and connecting on my grass area behind the shed that I keep the tractor in. The loader takes less than 5mins to unhook or hook up, most of that time is hooking up the hoses or unhooking them. If your dealer did not know to lift the front tires up to relieve the latch preshure, he will defintly not know anything about the auto connect deck. I was ready to buy a Kubota BX2660 but went with the 1026R for COMFORT and ease of operation, hated the heel/toe peddle on the Kubota.
Find yourself a good dealer and enjoy your new 1026R when it arrives.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Guys, I think the OP is talking DECK auto connect, not loader.

I had some trouble with mine too until it was adjusted properly. Now it's much better. Get a dealer who can do it right or plan on spending a couple hours adjusting it yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Guys, I think the OP is talking DECK auto connect, not loader.
He snuck the loader question in there, last few sentences of the first paragraph. He had a lot on his mind, and we kinda picked up on the loader stuff.

Then I asked to see how the loader detatched and attached. The latches that are mounted on the frame were stuck, they wouldn't even unlatch with the aforementioned rubber mallet, it took a crow bar to force them open. The saleman said that there must have been some paint keeping them from working properly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Aha :) And so he did...

·
GTT Vendor
1,532 Posts
Not meaning to sound like a know-it-all, but I've had to teach dealer's [salespeople] their own business a number of times. My conversations with them are purely financial at this point. It's a sad moment when you are listening to the fellow and all of a sudden you hear the BS meter go full swing. That's the point where I end the conversation and go for a test ride :bye:

In fairness, how many car salesmen really know piddle about the cars they sell? (rhetorical question)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts