Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After craning around trying to watch a stump grinder for a few hours last weekend. I have decided there has to be a better way to watch my 3pt implements.
Especially with these sub compacts, where we have the 3pt hitch is so close to the back of the cab or operator station. Larger tractors have far better visibility, 3pt setting back where you can see them some even have swivel seats. etc. etc. You have to have very flexible neck to watch a 3pt implement on a subcompact. I have some vertebra in my neck that are somewhat fused together. As mush as I truly love about any tractor time projects, for me it's not pleasant at all to use 3pt attachments with these little tractors. Hopefully this stuff works well for me.

I wanted to try keep this as simple as possible and I want flexibility to move the camera around for best vantage point of what I want to see. To move them from one tractor to the next, including cab and open station tractors.
So hard wire for power is a problem, these are all wireless and all rechargeable solutions so that not to require wires at all, other then plugging into the lighter plugs that are already on the tractors.

I have been looking at camera systems all morning. I am looking for simple install, so I can move it to which ever tractor I need it and there could be times where more then one might be handy.

I would love to here from anyone who has tried products like this before. Best brand? Issues you ran into ? etc etc?

Here is a list of what I ordered this morning.

I also ordered couple different style mounts for my I-phone .
The 1st camera pictured above runs via Bluetooth's into my phone the other one has its own display.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Camera stuff came in today .
Hopefully I will get a chance to start playing around with it all this weekend.
I will post some pics and thoughts on how well it all works once I have had a chance to check it all out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you have a link for the first phone mount you posted?

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
I have used as wireless rear camera for 3 years with great results, its actually easier to see backing into the garage stall with the camera than it is with the mirrors because the camera adjusts for the shade and darkness.

Simply amazing......

So, I never did see, how did the unloading of the stump grinder from the semi trailer go? And carrying the pallet to your garage? That was you asking about that a few days ago, wasn't it?

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
10,124 Posts
Also, I like having a dedicated monitor for the camera and not using my phone for viewing. The monitor allows me to reverse views and several other things, plus the resolution is just fine on the monitor. That thing is tough, I have yanked the monitor off the glass with the power cord by accident, I have bent and straightened the camera mount numerous times.

I have done things like move the camera monitor from the windshield to the side door glass when I have the windshield open in warm weather. Then I open the right cab door from outside to do something without thinking the monitor is mounted to the inside glass with the 12 v power cord and it tends to rip the cord right out of the monitor or pull the monitor right off the glass door, or sometimes, if I am really lucky, both.........

At least on 3 occasions, the monitor has fallen from the cab and landed on the concrete garage floor, yet it remains unbroken and still works just fine. Note, I am NOT suggesting others be as rough with their cameras as I have been. It's just that when I was sure I had finally done something which would require repair or replacement, the camera and monitor have surprised me and continued to work just fine and I have been able to re-bend brackets and straighten mounts and continue using.

The other day I was pushing the pedals on the tractor and thinking "the pedals feel stiff" well, it turned out it was because the monitor frame sun shield which helps block sun was stuck under the pedals on the floor. Yikes, I should have broken that plastic frame, but it didn't. Still everything works and keeps on going.

I don't suggest anyone be this rough on any electronics as I know I am pressing my luck. One of these days, its going to receive a fatal injury......

As far as the view and visibility, its outstanding. I also appreciate its easier to see vehicles coming up behind me when I am plowing snow................with the camera than in the mirrors as the camera picks up the headlights and illustrates them in the monitor quite a ways from the tractor.

All in all, I would give my camera and monitor system an A++ I just should be more careful with it......

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the IBall digital with the display monitor mounted on the adjustable mount. It plugs into my trucks cig lighter and is in a good position to glance down to see.

I use the camera in the rear of my horse trailer, pointed forward and I can watch both horses pretty well.

Problems are short camera battery life, only a couple of hours , so I eventually hard wired it. The camera magnetic mount is a bit weak and I have had it drop down onto the trailer floor. The camera power socket is too loose to hold the free camera, so I made a wire cable tether to catch it when it falls.

The monitor is really too small, but as long as I can see two horse heads I'm good.

The flexible neck on the monitor vibrates a lot. I have made custom supports for both of my trucks to support the monitor's weight, so That's now good.

My previous wireless monitor was affected by the vehicle's bluetooth, but the iBall image is steady and clear.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought the Haloview. 3 cameras, mag mounts for all whether I need them or not, battery pack for the one I'm mounting on the loader. I used it some before I had to leave for work in Phoenix. It's really going to eliminate turning around. I'll mount 2 cameras on the back so I can get 240 degrees of view. One on the loader for seeing the forks and bucket orientation. Monitor is clear, mags are very strong and the cameras are IP69 rated for weather resistance. Really good resolution at 720P.

Reactions: mark02tj and mjncad

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'll be curious about this also. I wonder how they'll have you configure the WiFi so it can work if you get out of the range of your router. Is it going to have you setup an ad-hoc network or will it assume there is a router available...?

Then again, maybe the app just handles it all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm guessing if you use your phone Wifi is not required.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’ve looked at some of these cameras and the ones I saw were only good to -4F. It could easily be -30 when I want to plow.

Has anyone seen cameras rated to colder temps?

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
I’ve looked at some of these cameras and the ones I saw were only good to -4F. It could easily be -30 when I want to plow.

Has anyone seen cameras rated to colder temps?
Very good point!
However, the temp rating could be like speed limits....just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a link for the first phone mount you posted?
It was all bought on amazon.
I will see if I can find the exact listing .

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And you lost me.
I'd sooner not have it than buy it from Amazon.
You can probably find same thing on eBay as well.

Reactions: Dr Maphesto
1 - 16 of 16 Posts