Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Golf Cart guru's out here? I have a gas one and sometimes when I go from stop, it'll squeal real loud and not go, but just for a couple of seconds, then it kicks in and goes fine. Sounds like a belt squeal, but not sure if that's it or if I am having clutch problems too... any thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
Is it a belt drive? If so, have you checked the belt?

·
Administrator
20,293 Posts
Variable ratio belt drives are used on lots of equipment from 4 wheelers to high performance snow machines to even combines. Once a belt starts to squeal, that means it's slipping. Usually that's from abuse, getting wet, or just plain worn out. If the belt stretches or loses any width, it won't engage the sheaves properly.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Sounds like one of your continuously variable clutches isn't back-shifting. Both clutches probably need to be inspected, cleaned and lubricated. Of course check the belt at the same time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like one of your continuously variable clutches isn't shifting. Both clutches probably need to be inspected, cleaned and lubricated. Of course check the belt at the same time.

How can I know if its one of these clutches or just the belt?

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Remove the belt following instructions in the manual. Then you can rotate the clutch sheaves to check operation. They're generally spring loaded and the outer or inner sheave will move relative to its companion to adjust the drive or driven clutch diameters. They must move freely. Check for dirt, rust or debris on the inner clutch shaft. You should use a manual for additional info. A special clutch lubricant is usually used. Do not use oil or grease on the clutch hub as it will contaminate the belt

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remove the belt following instructions in the manual. Then you can rotate the clutch sheaves to check operation. They're generally spring loaded and the outer or inner sheave will move relative to its companion to adjust the drive or driven clutch diameters. They must move freely. Check for dirt, rust or debris on the inner clutch shaft. You should use a manual for additional info. A special clutch lubricant is usually used. Do not use oil or grease on the clutch hub as it will contaminate the belt

Ok - I will have to just dig into it. I don't have a manual for it, maybe I can find a copy on-line....

·
Registered
121 Posts
When it is squealing is the engine running?

A lot of carts use a belt driven starter generator

Squealing before start starter belt

Squealing after start drive belt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if I am just sitting there the engine is off, I push the gas peddle and it just sits there and squeals, it'll eventually go, but if I push the choke button in, that seems to speed up the process. Once I am moving, it's all good. It's just that moment when going from a dead stop, and not every time, but often.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok - I am firing this back up. Getting the cart back ready for Shooting season. This is a 96 Club Car DS gasoline engine. When I apply throttle it commonly wants to squeal and do nothing; I removed the seat and notice the main pull/clutch system is not spinning during the squeal time, so it is not the belt slipping. It is obviously something internal in the clutch. How worried should I be? Is this in the clutch or hopefully not a sign of a weak engine.... just checked one more thing - the squealing is from the belt on the alternator. It spins fine. Not sure how it all works together.... there is a belt that runs from the alternator to the clutch and a drive belt from the clutch to - what, the rear end?????

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I fixed it - the alternator just needed tightened. Sometimes I just need to stop and think it through and sometimes writing the problem out helps that happen. Apparently the alternator is what gets everything going - I need to figure out how it all works. New to golf carting....:dunno:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ok I fixed it - the alternator just needed tightened. Sometimes I just need to stop and think it through and sometimes writing the problem out helps that happen. Apparently the alternator is what gets everything going - I need to figure out how it all works. New to golf carting....:dunno:
My buddy owns a golf car business. He curses loudly when people call them golf CARTS.
-A golf cart is something you pull by hand when walking the golf course. It holds your clubs.
-A golf car is something you drive, whether it be on a golf course, campground or elsewhere.

Anyway, glad to hear you got your problem solved. I have an older golf car ('82 Yamaha gasser). It isn't pretty, but it gets me where I need to go, which typically isn't very far.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My buddy owns a golf car business. He curses loudly when people call them golf CARTS.
-A golf cart is something you pull by hand when walking the golf course. It holds your clubs.
-A golf car is something you drive, whether it be on a golf course, campground or elsewhere.

Anyway, glad to hear you got your problem solved. I have an older golf car ('82 Yamaha gasser). It isn't pretty, but it gets me where I need to go, which typically isn't very far.
Never thought of that - I will change my ways! :good2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts