Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling I'm walking on thin ice given the subject. Lets find out.

I'd like to get a spare 54HC deck belt (or two) to have on hand.

The belt on the 54HC is referred to as Hex or Double-V.
It is 112.020" in length.
0.630" (5/8") wide
0.642" (5/8") tall

Question is, what belt to cross reference too?

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Try vbeltguys vbeltsupply vbelts4less Just put www in front and .com at the end I am GUESSING BB112 :dunno:

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Deere belts are the way to go. Yes, very expensive but it is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

Looks like around $86 before discount (just guessing at the part number)

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/product-p/m165156.htm

The belt for my deck is about the same cost. I am one to always have spare filters and such on the shelf but just can’t bring myself to spend $90 on a belt to hang in the barn. Being I can have one within 3-4 days from Green Farm Parts I will just wait until I need one. I have over 300 hours on my deck and the belt still looks like new.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
Deere belts are the way to go. Yes, very expensive but it is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

Looks like around $86 before discount (just guessing at the part number)

https://www.greenfarmparts.com/product-p/m165156.htm

The belt for my deck is about the same cost. I am one to always have spare filters and such on the shelf but just can’t bring myself to spend $90 on a belt to hang in the barn. Being I can have one within 3-4 days from Green Farm Parts I will just wait until I need one. I have over 300 hours on my deck and the belt still looks like new.
I currently have no spare belts for my x485 Only takes the one on the deck and one for the engine fan. But for my JD 285 I had all three, engine to transaxle, engine to deck, and deck.
I had an idler seize on my deck and burn up the belt. Having a spare saved the day. I also had an idler for the engine to transaxle belt seize and ruin that belt. Again having a spare saved the day. But all three probably cost less than $90

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Being a Do-It-Yourself person, I do most everything to maintain my abode. My grand dad and father come from times getting by during, or after the depression. That was passed on to me. Granted we may not be experiencing those times, but my way of thinking can always switch to outside-the-box to get things effectively. Tracking down an equivalent belt, is exponential. I like my investment that much more. Deere Techs and/or parts will eventually get in my pockets exponentially in the future enough!!!!

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
The way I see it is a person might go through 3 $30 belts in the time a Deere $90 belt lasts. So who’s ahead of the game then?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way I see it is a person might go through 3 $30 belts in the time a Deere $90 belt lasts. So who’s ahead of the game then?
All I can attest too, is the garden tractor (Bought new, used 20 years and still in service) that the x739 replaced had a total of four belts replaced to date.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
My last two belt failures on my JD 285 were due to idler failures, not the belt wearing out. Tractor was approximately 25 years old when it happened.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
either way, you've spent $90.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts