Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 96515 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Morning. Going to be a wet day today, 1 - 2.5 inches of rain coming. Won't be working outside tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Dry here, so I'm loading up the Gator in a little bit to head the 30 miles to the farm with the "kids" HPIM3117.JPG

Need to trim around the south pond & some fence line & work on a ditch crossing for the upcoming "Trail Ride". I'll see how much time I have after that & how tired I am! ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
grnspot110, How old are the "kids"?

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
grnspot110, How old are the "kids"?
Dottie is two, Chief is nine, he doesn't get around as well anymore, but he's a happy guy. He usually doesn't get to go to the farm anymore when I take the tractor, but rides in the Gator with me. HPIM3137.JPG ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dottie is two, Chief is nine, he doesn't get around as well anymore, but he's a happy guy. He usually doesn't get to go to the farm anymore when I take the tractor, but rides in the Gator with me. View attachment 31537 ~~ Lowell
I sure miss ours. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
I got started around 8:30 this morning, before: HPIM1277.JPG

1-1/2 hours & 2-1/2 tanks of gas later: HPIM1279.JPG

"Kids" had fun: HPIM1280.JPG

Forgot to take any pics of the ditch crossing work. :banghead: ~~ Lowell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice job Lowell!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks good!! :thumbup1gif:

But we all know the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the kids have fun!!! :good2:
What happened with you this morning? Sleep in?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
What happened with you this morning? Sleep in?

I never sleep in!! But I drank most of my coffee on the run, getting things done.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Lowell,Keith,or anyone.... What is the temperment of a Dalmation? I remember reading, years ago, of a glut of Dalmations on the market. It seems when the movies about "1001 Dalmations"...or something to that effect, came out...everyone went on a buying frenzy. Evidently. the shock of the dogs needing a lot of exercise...or something, meant they were soon resold. Judy and me are looking to get us another pup. Our eldest shih-tzu is getting up in age, and almost blind. But...he helped train our youngest shih-tzu. I'd like to have his help on the next pup as well. So are these good house dogs??

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
rgd, We have had a lot of dogs over the years and IMO they were all great dogs, maybe because we are truly good to our pets but we don't spoil them.
The Dalmatian we had I would rank at the top of the list.
She (Lady) was not fond of strangers, maybe just being over protective. I just asked the wife and we both agree we would have another one if the time was right.
VERY intelligent dog.
BTW, The Miniature Schnauzer is right up there also.

Tucker Cute_1.jpg

·
8,558 Posts
Dals can be great dogs. They have a few genetic things that run in the breed, like every other breed. One thing is deafness. Some can be a bit aggressive. However, if one goes to a reputable breeder, and not a pet store or backyard breeder, many, if not most problems can be avoided. All that I have seen that came from good stock, have been smart, sweet, wonderful dogs.

If I were looking for a larger dog, that was not a shelter rescue, I would look at getting a Dal.

Every time a new movie comes out about a dog, or breed, the puppy mills crank out that breed and those pups are brokered through pet stores. When 101 Dalmatians came out, the market was flooded with them. A lot of them lost their lives in animal shelters. When the movie Adventures of Yellow Dog came out, the mills cranked out the yellow Labs. A lot of them lost their lives in shelters. It runs in cycles. So, I get a lot of my dogs from the shelter, and being rural, a lot more tend to get dumped, so I am never dogless.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Farmgirl pretty well summed it up!

Chief is our third Dal, Dottie our fourth, all have had their own personalities, all have been great friends. Personally, I prefer dogs to most people, they treat me better! My reason for Dalmatians is that I worked as a paid firefighter for 29 years, now retired, we've had Dals for about 30 years now, wouldn't know what other breed to have anymore!

Afterall who can argue with this: HPIM2665.JPG or this: HPIM3012.JPG ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thanks for your input! My concern is where we live. We are basically on a peninsula in our neighborhood. Our,approximately, 3 acres has a road on 3 sides of the property. Its like living in a fishbowl. We have no privacy in our front or back yard. We built the home and moved in late 2010 . I say all of this because we dont have a fence and we are both gone during the day. Any dog will have to be able to stay inside for hours at a time. And when its outside, they will be on a leash. It may be too much to ask of a larger dog. But...we are seriously thinking of selling and buying more land and building less house.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Morning, Got up late but the good news is I'm up. Raining again today, coffee is good.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Farmgirl pretty well summed it up!

Chief is our third Dal, Dottie our fourth, all have had their own personalities, all have been great friends. Personally, I prefer dogs to most people, they treat me better! My reason for Dalmatians is that I worked as a paid firefighter for 29 years, now retired, we've had Dals for about 30 years now, wouldn't know what other breed to have anymore!

View attachment 31591 ~~ Lowell
If that isn't a spitting image of our Lady I don't know what is, thanks.

·
8,558 Posts
I consider Dals to be higher energy needs, at least when younger. While I am sure they would make good house dogs, they are going to need some good exercise. Whoever is taking them out on leash might get into really good shape!

If it were me, I'd either get up the fence, before getting one, or move farther out. Even out like I am, I don't let my own critters run free, if I am not around. I have a half acre fenced, in case I need to have someone else let them out during the day. I figure, it isn't really fair to expect them to "hold it" all day long.

·
8,558 Posts
Morning, Got up late but the good news is I'm up. Raining again today, coffee is good.
Slacker!!! :nunu: :mocking: :morning2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I tend to agree with Farmgirl. We always just open the door and let them go. We do have an invisible fence but Lady never bothered to leave the property and was really good with the horses. The short/small hair shedding could be a problem with some people also.

21 - 40 of 96515 Posts