Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored as heck right now. been sitting around with a broken shoulder and fractured ribs for the past 3 weeks. before anyone ask me how it happened I'll tell you my stupidity basically forgot I'm disabled. being a functional quad I can walk a bit and I was pushing myself to get a couple other things done after I had been on my feet for hrs installing my own D.I.Y. fume extractor in my barn.

I had got on my tractor and was attempting to get out my brush hog from winter storage. when the handle on my quick hitch had fell down. so I got off the tractor and went to take a step and down I went in the yard.
so after a very painful ride to the VA hospital. they found I had fractured and dislocated my right shoulder. an fractured couple of ribs. being a spinal cord injury patient they admitted me to the hospital SCI floor. after several days of some good pain meds, I was able to go home again.

so here I sit at home looking outside knowing I need to brush hog 3 acres and plant in my raised garden beds. bored an wishing 3 more weeks would fly by, so I can get out and take care of these things again.

an for now I am living vicariously through your words(y)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Thank you for your service Leo! Take it easy and heal up ..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get better soon!

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Super Moderator
8,965 Posts
Hope you're on the mend and feeling better soon! Having lived with shoulder issues I know it's not fun and can relate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I truly admire your drive and refusal to let life's roadblocks keep you from living it. Hope you heal quickly, and just think - the weather still needs a little time to get better, too. You should hit the season perfectly. The big question is how is Buddy handling the idle time?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I hope your recovery is speedy. I know the frustration of not being able to do stuff.

Keane

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
First off thank you for your service. And having I myself have a rod in my back, life is different than before, in fact I'm just starting to walk again after 3 months. We have to remember to ask for help which I never did before. Also all of us are getting older, we got to think before we jump. Hope you get better soon. 🙏

Reactions: Leo_K

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Leo,
From one to another. Thank you brother.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Thanks for your service and sorry to hear this. Hopefully the 3 weeks go fast.

Reactions: Leo_K and DRobinson

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope you're on the mend and feeling better soon! Having lived with shoulder issues I know it's not fun and can relate.
my left shoulder is permanently dislocated from my accident 16 years ago so my right arm was the muscle for my left. so right now I depend on my wife to help me with everything.
I'm glad I've got her otherwise,💖 I'd be in a home somewhere

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Thanks for serving. The three weeks would pass fast if you didn't have to sit around waiting. Glad to have you back.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off thank you for your service. And having I myself have a rod in my back, life is different than before, in fact I'm just starting to walk again after 3 months. We have to remember to ask for help which I never did before. Also all of us are getting older, we got to think before we jump. Hope you get better soon. 🙏
16 years ago I was in a vehicle accident that put me in a coma (6 months) then a trach dependent quad for a year. I have my C1,2,3 fused with less than 50% feeling in my legs also had a severe brain injury so I know what you mean buy asking for help. I just have gotten used to doing it myself I forget to ask sometimes

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I truly admire your drive and refusal to let life's roadblocks keep you from living it. Hope you heal quickly, and just think - the weather still needs a little time to get better, too. You should hit the season perfectly. The big question is how is Buddy handling the idle time?
honestly buddy's has become my wife's dog now
with covid and now this I think he's forgotten how to work:cry:

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
Leo, thank you for all you have done and continue to do.

Multiple shoulder and spinal surgeries myself, its hard to sit and watch and wait, but there are times its the best thing to do. Wishing you a full recovery and looking forward to hearing you back in action.

I always think about the need to get on and off the tractor as its always an opportunity to slip and fall or otherwise get entangled and go down. Many times I have been on my tractor only to see the handle on the I Match had flipped down. Keep in mind that you can connect to implements with the handles in the closed position and the pins will simply push past the latches on the hitch when connecting.

Only when releasing an implement is it necessary to have the latch levers vertical. I had never thought about that until one time after I released one implement and went to pick up another, I noticed the handles had both snapped down after releasing the first implement and prior to picking up the next. I was about to stop and get off the tractor when I thought I would try to pick up the next implement with the handles in the down position. As long as you get both sides to latch with the levers in the down position, this works just fine. Prior to that time, I always waited until the implement was in place and then locked the levers. Now I just leave the levers down when picking up an implement and only lift them when releasing the implement from the hitch.

Hopefully, that knowledge can save you a future trip (no pun intended) off and back on the tractor.

Hoping you get well soon.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
@Leo_K If I lived closer, I would offer some time to help with your tasks.
Thanks for your service. Hope you get to a better condition soon!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leo, thank you for all you have done and continue to do.

Multiple shoulder and spinal surgeries myself, its hard to sit and watch and wait, but there are times its the best thing to do. Wishing you a full recovery and looking forward to hearing you back in action.

I always think about the need to get on and off the tractor as its always an opportunity to slip and fall or otherwise get entangled and go down. Many times I have been on my tractor only to see the handle on the I Match had flipped down. Keep in mind that you can connect to implements with the handles in the closed position and the pins will simply push past the latches on the hitch when connecting.

Only when releasing an implement is it necessary to have the latch levers vertical. I had never thought about that until one time after I released one implement and went to pick up another, I noticed the handles had both snapped down after releasing the first implement and prior to picking up the next. I was about to stop and get off the tractor when I thought I would try to pick up the next implement with the handles in the down position. As long as you get both sides to latch with the levers in the down position, this works just fine. Prior to that time, I always waited until the implement was in place and then locked the levers. Now I just leave the levers down when picking up an implement and only lift them when releasing the implement from the hitch.

Hopefully, that knowledge can save you a future trip (no pun intended) off and back on the tractor.

Hoping you get well soon.
thank you for the well wishes
I know what you are saying about the latches
I have a 3 point plate that will connect in place of my bucket on my loader it also has a quick hitch on it. I use it to move my 3 point attachments around easier. unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when I was walking back and I fell (n)lesson learned (y)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts