Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The universe it toying with me. I keep running across "vintage" tractors that look like they'd be fun to restore. Around where I live, there are a number of Ford 8N examples in various states of (dis)repair that might make good candidates. Any thoughts on those in terms of parts availability or will I be using my mill/lathe to make parts as required?

I'm the kind of person that would likely strip it down to the frame, bead blast everything, repaint, and then put it all back together so it wouldn't be a "working machine" anymore, but something for me to use to show my children how tractors work and how to fix old things. :)

Thoughts?

Best,

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The universe it toying with me. I keep running across "vintage" tractors that look like they'd be fun to restore. Around where I live, there are a number of Ford 8N examples in various states of (dis)repair that might make good candidates. Any thoughts on those in terms of parts availability or will I be using my mill/lathe to make parts as required?

I'm the kind of person that would likely strip it down to the frame, bead blast everything, repaint, and then put it all back together so it wouldn't be a "working machine" anymore, but something for me to use to show my children how tractors work and how to fix old things. :)

Thoughts?

Best,
I just got an 8N recently, and have found that parts availability is great. Lots of stuff even at Tractor supply, like carb kits and what not.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I have a 8N that is still a worker. You can build an 8N from reproduction parts there are so many available! They’re cheap to buy, simple as an anvil and easy to work on with plenty of online support from different forum groups and parts suppliers.
Something to keep in mind is that pretty much any old tractor that you restore will be worth nowhere near what you have into it. Some would be more than others, especially is you get into tractors with power steering, independent PTO, live hydraulics, etc that make them more desirable. Of course those are more complex and could cost you more money to fix depending on condition.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 8N that is still a worker. You can build an 8N from reproduction parts there are so many available! They’re cheap to buy, simple as an anvil and easy to work on with plenty of online support from different forum groups and parts suppliers.
Something to keep in mind is that pretty much any old tractor that you restore will be worth nowhere near what you have into it. Some would be more than others, especially is you get into tractors with power steering, independent PTO, live hydraulics, etc that make them more desirable. Of course those are more complex and could cost you more money to fix depending on condition.
Yeah, I don't really care if it's worth anything at the end. It's mostly going to be fun for me and a learning experience for the kids. Can't put a price on that.

Best,

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Mine is going to go to work running the Tedder over our last hayfield a little later today. It’s not a looker but I’ve been improving things as they wear out and need replacement. It definitely has its limitations compared to modern tractors but 70+ years later it still gets it done.
Best advice I can give you is to find the best example of the tractor you want to restore and buy that. Difference in price between a non running rust bucket and one that starts and drives is a few hundred dollars. And don’t be deterred by worn out tires. I had to put new rears on mine a couple years ago. I bought new rims, tires and tubes online and had everything shipped to my house. An hour or so later I had tires mounted up and on the tractor. It wasn’t cheap but wasn’t crazy expensive either. They should last a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.