Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after a few hours of loading it up on a B-train, my 2520 will all of its implements is heading further north to its new owner. I hope he gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did. My wife told me it was either the marriage or the tractor... Yes, I did actually pause and think about it. :flag_of_truce::mocking::nunu::hide:

Farewell and goodbye, my friend! :greentractorride:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
That’s kind of a bummer. Maybe you should spend more time with her, always works for me when she says I am out in the shop too much. Somehow a little time with me goes a long way.:unknown:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Very sorry to hear.
With luck she will not find another thing you love that needs weighed against the loss of her affection.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
sorry to hear about ur tractor loss. never a good thing when ya gotta make a choice like that. :banghead:

i ran into a situation like that with my own big truck many, many yrs ago. she told me if i came home with a newer big truck, she was leaving then. that was after 17 yrs of married, i tucked my tail between my legs and headed home with the old one.

i feel for ya. its gonna be 40 yrs now this coming summer.:munch:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That’s kind of a bummer. Maybe you should spend more time with her, always works for me when she says I am out in the shop too much. Somehow a little time with me goes a long way.:unknown:

She wants the payment gone (we had some big changes at work that affected my long-term outlook on paychecks) and she isn't very rational when it comes to money. I was well into the equity phase of payments, but she didn't see it that way.

So I gave it away at basically a fire-sale price.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
That hurts

She wants the payment gone (we had some big changes at work that affected my long-term outlook on paychecks) and she isn't very rational when it comes to money. I was well into the equity phase of payments, but she didn't see it that way.

Ouch- that really hurts. It's too bad she pressed you so hard to move it. When the dust settles and emotions are calm you might have a quiet discussion about how y'all would have been financially better off to wait for a buyer who would pay closer to market value.

I do get her point about cash flow though. It's difficult to deal with bills coming in when you don't know if you have enough to pay them. It might be a good time to start a tractor fund so the next tractor you buy won't have as much or any financing. Even a few dollars a month helps and it could also be a comfort for her to know that a little :gizmo: could be available in case of a real emergency. I like listening to Dave Ramsey. He doesn't say anything new but it reinforces what we all know- it's better to be on the plus side of interest than the minus side. It's better to live below your means than above. Worries about money are toxic to relationships and being on the same page on solving money issues is better than going different directions. It's all easy to say, not so easy to do but he gives out some tough love to people who call in.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So what are you going to do without a tractor? :dunno:
Give her the shovel when any snow removal or digging is required. Sorry, guess that is why I was married twice......:mocking:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I was very sad to see this. Money stuff can be very difficult, and at the end of the day, a payment is a payment. I hope things change for you soon so that you can get another tractor.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sorry to hear that also.

After I crashed my airplane (which the wife never liked) a few years ago, I ended up with a tractor. When she says something about getting rid of the tractor, I just mention that I saw a plane for sale. She's happy with the tractor. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Well, after a few hours of loading it up on a B-train, my 2520 will all of its implements is heading further north to its new owner. I hope he gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did. My wife told me it was either the marriage or the tractor... Yes, I did actually pause and think about it. :flag_of_truce::mocking::nunu::hide:

Farewell and goodbye, my friend! :greentractorride:

I feel for ya...... Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and decide which is the easiest or best to replace. I had to replace mine after 52 years. Now, I am the happiest I have ever been.

Dave

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Give her the shovel when any snow removal or digging is required. Sorry, guess that is why I was married twice......:mocking:
I like your style dude, but for some reason I am strike two as well?
I find not much more stressful than not having at least some control over my life. If I must be alone for that to happen then so be it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ouch- that really hurts. It's too bad she pressed you so hard to move it. When the dust settles and emotions are calm you might have a quiet discussion about how y'all would have been financially better off to wait for a buyer who would pay closer to market value.

I do get her point about cash flow though. It's difficult to deal with bills coming in when you don't know if you have enough to pay them. It might be a good time to start a tractor fund so the next tractor you buy won't have as much or any financing. Even a few dollars a month helps and it could also be a comfort for her to know that a little :gizmo: could be available in case of a real emergency. I like listening to Dave Ramsey. He doesn't say anything new but it reinforces what we all know- it's better to be on the plus side of interest than the minus side. It's better to live below your means than above. Worries about money are toxic to relationships and being on the same page on solving money issues is better than going different directions. It's all easy to say, not so easy to do but he gives out some tough love to people who call in.

Treefarmer

It's been made pretty clear to me no such thing will ever exist, unless we basically happen to land on a large sum of cash unexpectedly.

Trust me, I tried. And it's not like we weren't making any of our payments, it's just that she'd rather save up for a warm vacation spot (going back to that "rational" thing again). Meh, married life. You win some, you lose some. She keeps the house spiffy clean.

Oh well. I'll still stick around, maybe with a few bucks I can restore a 318 (or something similar).

Our snowblower is dead, tractor is gone... I cannot WAIT for the next 12" snowfall, I've instructed the neighbours not to help her out, as I'm frequently gone out of town overnight. Might have to get one of them to film it... But that's just cruel. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,325 Posts

That really sucks!

Our snowblower is dead, tractor is gone... I cannot WAIT for the next 12" snowfall, I've instructed the neighbours not to help her out, as I'm frequently gone out of town overnight. Might have to get one of them to film it... But that's just cruel. :laugh:
:good2: I like your attitude!

Earlier this week, my wife said she kind of wishes we'd get a good dump of snow since she said it hasn't felt like winter this year. I asked her if she was going to shovel the schitt, and she said no since I have a tractor. I told her the tractor makes digging out easier; but it still sucks on an open station tractor. I then reminded her of the winter of 2006 - 2007. She said something to the effect that she'd plow out the driveway with the tractor. I just laughed my ass off since she's never shown one bit of interest in the learning to operate the tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
My wife and I have Been together since 1982 we were Not officially Married Until 2000 and we had our trial Divorce from 1998 till 2000 as I call it. She took a teaching job In Japan teaching Nursing & English. But what started the whole mess was Me buying a used Tractor. We truly went are separate way for 2 years. Sorry I will always choose the Tractor before the wife. I crossed that Line In the sand. Don't have the John Deere M anymore (Basket case tractor). She Just doesn't go there anymore. She just Gave Up and refers to Me as the (TRACTOR NUT) and Rolls Her eyes. But In 2002 we Got her, Her own Garden Tractor. Now Keep In Mind My wife was a Massey Ferguson Tractor Mechanic In Ontario Canada Before we Met. We have called each others Bluff. She took the teaching Job and I got the Tractor . The tractors our now left alone. So you Know My feeling I would have gotten rid of the wife and Kept the 2520:laugh::bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
It's been made pretty clear to me no such thing will ever exist, unless we basically happen to land on a large sum of cash unexpectedly.

Trust me, I tried. And it's not like we weren't making any of our payments, it's just that she'd rather save up for a warm vacation spot (going back to that "rational" thing again). Meh, married life. You win some, you lose some. She keeps the house spiffy clean.

Oh well. I'll still stick around, maybe with a few bucks I can restore a 318 (or something similar).

My opinion on these things - a tractor will last you a lifetime of work and enjoyment. A vacation is gone within a few days.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My opinion on these things - a tractor will last you a lifetime of work and enjoyment. A vacation is gone within a few days.

On a purely money basis, it's equity that you can actually use when it's needed the most, IE a snowstorm or not having a rental place out of a tractor during your landscaping projects.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
That really sucks!

:good2: I like your attitude!

Earlier this week, my wife said she kind of wishes we'd get a good dump of snow since she said it hasn't felt like winter this year. I asked her if she was going to shovel the schitt, and she said no since I have a tractor. I told her the tractor makes digging out easier; but it still sucks on an open station tractor. I then reminded her of the winter of 2006 - 2007. She said something to the effect that she'd plow out the driveway with the tractor. I just laughed my ass off since she's never shown one bit of interest in the learning to operate the tractor.
Careful what you do there. Often the outcome of that kind of training is a big bill, and understanding that it would have been easier to do yourself. Lol

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
I’m kind of in the “sell the wife” camp. I was completely understanding until the “tractor payment could finance a big vacation “ comment. But my tractor makes my wife’s life a lot easier too so I’m safe from hearing that ultimatum from her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I can obviously see lots of guys here are of the resist camp, and wonder why I went the route I did.

Plainly speaking, if she falls off her rocker later on in our marriage, I would walk away with the conscience that I did everything she asked and anything I could to protect and nurture our relationship. I can tell you that many of her friends are envious about what she has from her partner, and they've told me as such wishing their partners/husbands were half as contributing.

The feeling that a "collapse", whether it be a job or a relationship, had nothing to do with you, is all-empowering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts