Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the JD 40-U has this strange Hour Meter

Its like somesort of clock and looks like its way Overengineered.

All this fancyness but what happens @ 1000 hours..??

looks like it starts over.

What am I missing here?

and whats the blob between 8 & 9 ?
:munch:

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,844 Posts
It’s reading 7543 hours. It does way more than 1k. Large dial is tens, second dial is hundreds, smallest dial is thousands.

I’d be willing to bet the little guy is a “heartbeat” for lack of a better term.

I like it. It’s pretty cool. Much nicer, but harder to read than a typical “Hobbs” meter. :lol:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dose the strange symbol between the 8 & 9 supposed to mean??

rebuild time....I got no clue .

Kid thought it read 746....after studing it for a while the 7543 seems to be right unfortuneatly.

·
Administrator
20,844 Posts
I think that little guy is a rotary heartbeat. It just spins to show you that it’s working.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that little guy is a rotary heartbeat. It just spins to show you that it’s working.

Just my guess.

oookay...I'm a bit slow today.

That makes perfect sense..We'll turn it on tomorrow and check that.

My only hope is someone left the switch on for a long time and ran up the hours.

I'm more fond of cable driven units.

This tractor has NO tach which seems odd.

I saw this thing and thought it was the tach but had no glasses with me. It resembles the early ford tach but lots smaller.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
How are you getting the 3 DS?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Took me a while too

Big "hand" reading 43

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Many Cub Cadet garden tractors in the 1970's had that style of hour meter,,,

Reactions: rtgt

·
Administrator
20,844 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we went and turned the Switch on....it ain't got a pulse.

Anyone know if this Hour meter is cable driven ..???

Its says 6v on the face but maybe thats just for the light inside it.

Other option is the motor must be running.......with no brains...I'm not sure it would know if it was running or not.

Found the starter switch/lever/whatever you call it...looks like the choke...pull it and it kicks over.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts

Other option is the motor must be running.......with no brains...I'm not sure it would know if it was running or not.

Found the starter switch/lever/whatever you call it...looks like the choke...pull it and it kicks over.
:laugh: i noticed it had the same set up as my dad's 430 crawler did back when i was a kid and ran it in the woods. sometimes the starter would stick and we would have to loosen the housing bolts-and then shake the starter(didn't need much)re-tighten the bolts and it would let it turn over:dunno:
my dad had a model 40 crawler before he got the 430-always said if he made a $100 in a week-the dozer took half of it in repairs then. once he got the 430 it ran for yrs then pretty much trouble free.

pretty sure my dad's didn't have a hr meter on it back then, can't remember for sure-oh:dunno:

so u bought it then-THE DUKE:dunno:

Reactions: PJR832 and rtgt

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts

If I found the correct drawing in JDParts, it looks like it's electric-but tied to the oil pressure switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If I found the correct drawing in JDParts, it looks like it's electric-but tied to the oil pressure switch.

Well that would make sense..I'll have to have another look at it.Oil pressure gage is mounted to filter housing up front but there may be a seperate sensor elsewhere.

Jim...Nope , Haven't bought it yet....sort of investigating it while waiting to get a chance to meet with owner.
This will be a long process but may turn out ok...no clue.
Shifter is super sloppy but that seems to be an issue with all these I've seen on youtube.
Don't need to buy a problem child. It ran last year and Jr. was there to witness it...He wasn't payin attention so
were looking at all we can and learning about it before hand. They only made 18k of these vs something common like the 8n's that were half a million made or so. Its a different animal and only produced for 3 years. The high hours are spooky as I have zero desire to get involved in some rebuild process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts