Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago I got a GoPro hero5 black edition, I honestly haven't had much time to play with it other than syncing it to phone. Last week I ordered and received an accessory kit with a bunch of different mounts.
Do the base mounts that stick really stick, I could just me putting this camera through my tiller :laugh: and really want to avoid that if possible. I will want a few different places to mount this because most of the time I am working alone and don't have someone to run the camera beside me.
I'm not trying to be specific to tractors, ATVs, motorcycles work too, (although my application will mostly just be on my tractor) I'm just looking for mounting tips

·
Registered
122 Posts
The adhesive bases do stick just make sure you have a clean surface that is warm enough for the adhesive to bond.

Stuck one on my sons RZR 170 last Christmas and spent an evening in the dark with flashlights searching a field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
I haven’t used the adhesive mounts yet. I do have the jaws clamp, suction cup & shotgun clamp.

I use all three in various places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
If you do try the adhesive mount it’s as simple as using rubbing alcohol with a clean rag to clean the area first. And of course being warm. I’ve found that most of these adhesive type things to work well.

But with that said, with any type of expensive camera equipment, I would want a solid mount.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My first few GoPro attempts were kinda disasters because of vibration,,
"JUST ANYWHERE" is not a place to mount a GoPro,,

I thought I had a vibration proof mounting location on my 24G Gravely,, NOT,,,
A few seconds after the video starts, I start the engine,, the camera goes nuts,,

[video]https://youtu.be/6YEbw4pwNEs?t=64[/video]

YouTube tried to reduce the distortion,, that kinda made it worse,,,

That is why I only want clamp on mounts,,, so I can mount the camera easily in another location.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Suction cup works well, just keep it clean
I use a "NOGA" magnetic mount with the end swapped out for a 1/4 tripod adapter for the go pro
The other clamps and various things work well for their intended purposes, but when you start "McGyvering" them results vary wildly IME

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I have found the good mounts and clamps are generally worth the money. I have several articulating clamps and have them mounted to the door armrest bar in my cab, another to the windshield gas shock. They are very stable and stay where put.

I have also mounted one camera right ahead of the discharge chute on my Zero turn to get a really neat perspective and that it provided. Whenever you are mounting the camera where it can gets into harms way, always use some plastic zip ties as a "safety chain" through the actual camera mount or wherever you can snake the thin plastic strap through, that way, when the mount gets knocked loose, the camera will be tethered to the tractor or whatever and you can save it. I have had several things come loose and in every case, it was because of something the operator did.....

The video with the camera right in front of the zero turn chute also had another Go Pro camera mounted in the very rear of the Zero turn and another camera mount in the very front of the mower and very low, just above grass height. I wanted to get the different views for editing together in a video. On one of the earliest turn around maneuvers near a pine tree, a branch hit the mount on the rear of the mower and pivoted the camera mount 180 degrees, so I have about 4 minutes of precisely the angles I wanted and then the entire remaining video was of the Kawasaki engine running. The engine moved around more than I thought in the chassis, like it's supposed to, but 45 minutes of watching the Kawasaki engine running doesn't make real compelling video...........

The only mount which I have bought which was a disappointment was one on a 3 foot long arm which is jointed and you can position it and bend it all over the place. While it works fine on a stationary object, on the mower or tractor the long arm has too much vibration in it. The cameras have a special stabilization technology in them, but when the movement is more than a vibration and less than a "wave motion" it's a very strange and unnatural movement which I didn't care for in the video.

The stabilization works so well, that you don't necessarily;ly have to mount the camera to be ROCK SOLID like I thought I would. The main thing with the mowers, blowers and tillers and rolling tires, etc. is make sure you use the safety tether. Yes, you have to snip it to get the camera off the mount, it's a small price to pay to protect the camera against loss or destruction. On angles which could cause the camera to get run over or through the mower, blower, I will double the safety tethers just to be safe. A whole bag of zip tie straps if only a couple of bucks at Harbor fright.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have found the good mounts and clamps are generally worth the money. I have several articulating clamps and have them mounted to the door armrest bar in my cab, another to the windshield gas shock. They are very stable and stay where put.

I have also mounted one camera right ahead of the discharge chute on my Zero turn to get a really neat perspective and that it provided. Whenever you are mounting the camera where it can gets into harms way, always use some plastic zip ties as a "safety chain" through the actual camera mount or wherever you can snake the thin plastic strap through, that way, when the mount gets knocked loose, the camera will be tethered to the tractor or whatever and you can save it. I have had several things come loose and in every case, it was because of something the operator did.....

The video with the camera right in front of the zero turn chute also had another Go Pro camera mounted in the very rear of the Zero turn and another camera mount in the very front of the mower and very low, just above grass height. I wanted to get the different views for editing together in a video. On one of the earliest turn around maneuvers near a pine tree, a branch hit the mount on the rear of the mower and pivoted the camera mount 180 degrees, so I have about 4 minutes of precisely the angles I wanted and then the entire remaining video was of the Kawasaki engine running. The engine moved around more than I thought in the chassis, like it's supposed to, but 45 minutes of watching the Kawasaki engine running doesn't make real compelling video...........

The only mount which I have bought which was a disappointment was one on a 3 foot long arm which is jointed and you can position it and bend it all over the place. While it works fine on a stationary object, on the mower or tractor the long arm has too much vibration in it. The cameras have a special stabilization technology in them, but when the movement is more than a vibration and less than a "wave motion" it's a very strange and unnatural movement which I didn't care for in the video.

The stabilization works so well, that you don't necessarily;ly have to mount the camera to be ROCK SOLID like I thought I would. The main thing with the mowers, blowers and tillers and rolling tires, etc. is make sure you use the safety tether. Yes, you have to snip it to get the camera off the mount, it's a small price to pay to protect the camera against loss or destruction. On angles which could cause the camera to get run over or through the mower, blower, I will double the safety tethers just to be safe. A whole bag of zip tie straps if only a couple of bucks at Harbor fright.
Thanks Sulley, I've already guessed that I have to break down and buy a good quality mount instead of the cheap kit I'm using, I appreciate your feedback. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
12,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My first few GoPro attempts were kinda disasters because of vibration,,
"JUST ANYWHERE" is not a place to mount a GoPro,,

I thought I had a vibration proof mounting location on my 24G Gravely,, NOT,,,
A few seconds after the video starts, I start the engine,, the camera goes nuts,,

[video]https://youtu.be/6YEbw4pwNEs?t=64[/video]

YouTube tried to reduce the distortion,, that kinda made it worse,,,

That is why I only want clamp on mounts,,, so I can mount the camera easily in another location.
Thank you, because of reading this I have been using a clamp on mount, literally eliminated the vibration I was experiencing before. It's a handle bar type mount that I have on one of the ROPS pins, seems much more secure as well, thanks again for the input.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts