Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one to buy? I've had my eyes on a 3+ Black but with the 4 out should I just go for it?

I see so many uses for one I can't start to describe it all here but it would essentially replace the point and shoot camera as I have seen some amazing still come out of the videos the GoPro produces. It will be used on vacation, around the house, on the tractor, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Which one to buy? I've had my eyes on a 3+ Black but with the 4 out should I just go for it?

I see so many uses for one I can't start to describe it all here but it would essentially replace the point and shoot camera as I have seen some amazing still come out of the videos the GoPro produces. It will be used on vacation, around the house, on the tractor, etc.

Thoughts?
You will also need the battery backpack thing... the camera only has two minutes by itself.:unknown:

·
Registered
109 Posts
My friend has one and I thought it lasted around two hours. He mounted on his sons hockey helmet during a mite game. The video was great and the sound effects added to it. What a great way to show kids about hockey from a kids point of view. I could see tons of uses. Atv, boat, tractor, etc..

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Unless you need the GoPro type accessories for mounting, there are many great compact and DSLR cameras that do beautiful video. Then of course you would be limited to hand held or tripod shooting (which is what I do). Not enough action for me to have a camera strapped to my head.......

I used a compact camera in my truck for videos using a $20 suction mount that worked great. Going to rig something up to attach it to my tractor ROPS soon also.

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
I rigged up my GoPro on my dog using a chest mount (too cheap to buy the dog mount). It worked well but all one could see was my butt, because all he does is follow me around. I'll use it when I get outside working with the tractor, which should be around July fourth.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The Black edition is what my friends have. They love theirs. With Wi-Fi built in they use an iPad to see the video remotely. Wi-Fi will drain battery fast though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a GP3 Black, battery last 2+ hours for video. Works with both my iPhone/iPad, also have a GP3+ which I haven't even gotten around to using yet, several small improvement over the 3.

~g

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A Go Pro is great for a lot of things but not as a point and shoot. They have no zoom and also a bit of a wide angle lenses. I have a Hero and Hero 2. The 4 Black when using the 4k video setting will drain the battery in 20 minutes I think. Gets hit too, but that's a lot of computing in a small case. Works much better in 1080p mode. Mine don't do well in low light. But I understand the newer ones fixed that. I love mine, but don't use them much. Bought a plane I want to try my Go Pro in. uploadfromtaptalk1426986320457.jpg The Hero 4 Black has no screen so you have to use a second device to setup your shots. The Hero 4 Silver has an LCD I believe. Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a 4 Black this evening. Took a video of the grand daughters first car, a Little Tikes Flintstone powered car. Mounted the camera to the front of the car and got her first drive. This thing is awesome.

Going to get a Battery Backpack for extended day trips and a few other accessories. The Gopro app is pretty slick as well.

10 minutes of 1080p footage was over 200 megs. What do you all usually shoot?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Could you post some video with the 4 in low light? I had a 3 Silver that was worse in the dark than my cell phone, so I returned it. My dad has a 3 Black and he says the low light quality is disappointing as well.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll see what I can do. The only video I've done, the one I mentioned above, was in low light. I'd post those results but I've already lightened the video using Movie Maker. For in edited video, the low light wasn't too impressive.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The silver I had would look like a bad signal on a UHF station (if you're old enough to remember that :D ). Snow all over the screen. My cell phone (HTC One +) shot pretty darn good low light video until the lens got all scratched up and now everything has a white haze to it.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The silver I had would look like a bad signal on a UHF station (if you're old enough to remember that :D ). Snow all over the screen. My cell phone (HTC One +) shot pretty darn good low light video until the lens got all scratched up and now everything has a white haze to it.
I think you can get parts for your phone online. Last time I needed parts I went to a place I thought was celldoctor.com, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. My HTC One M7 had a 4 "Ultra-pixel" camera. The theory was the pixels were larger to catch more light for better low light pics and video. Not sure if they kept with that camera in the later models.

I'm hoping your Hero4 Black performs well. I'd like to pic one up. My buddies did very well in the Indoor Go Cart track we went to in January. I liked the app for setting up the camera. Way smoother than the 3 button system on my Hero and Hero 2.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The battery in my phone is on it's way out too (had it 2 years exactly), so I'm contemplating a galaxy 5S active or waiting to see when the 6's come out.

I've tried peeling the screen off on previous phones and only managed to make a mess of them.

Surprisingly, I haven't got a single scratch in the glass on this thing and don't have a cover on it. All my old smart phone screens have been hacked up pretty badly by the time their contracts are up.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
The battery in my phone is on it's way out too (had it 2 years exactly), so I'm contemplating a galaxy 5S active or waiting to see when the 6's come out.
Don't they have replacement batteries for these things? Seems ridiculous to replace an entire unit if just the battery is worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The glass they use for the screen is called Gorilla glass and it's way better than what they had even a couple years ago.

Coaltrain, you are right they do have some parts available. The catch is that my HTC phone is "sealed" and isn't easily service. Some phones still have a battery door and replaceable battery. Mine is not that way. The only thing you can easily remove on my phone is the SIM card. They do this because phone reviewers "Love" slim phones. I'd take a phone twice as thick if it'd last a couple days before needing charged. At this point when my HTC One M7 dies I'll probably get a Samsumg S6 or maybe the Note. They have replaceable batteries and memory card slots.

The worst part of these phones for me personally is that I keep buying out of contract so I can keep my unlimited data. I use 6+ Gigs a month. :gizmo:

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
That really surprises me - no replaceable battery - what a racket! So basically when the battery wears out that $600 device is then worthless.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I think there are places that will replace the battery, but I'm sure the $60 battery and $100 install fee is enough to keep most from doing it. If you get a new upgrade every 2 years it lines up pretty well. Part of me thinks they plan them to shell out at 24 months. Now it could be that the software and hardware move so fast that after 2 years they just can't keep up anymore...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts