• My State requires a license & I DO have one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo... An interesting story in the news here yesterday and today.

A 9-year old was operating a Cat SkidSteer moving snow in the family driveway. This is a privately owned piece of equipment (i.e. not a business) used on private property. In clearing his driveway, his 12-year old brother slipped and fell and the 9-year old apparently ran him over. The older boy was med-flighted to Boston and is in serious condition.

Story here.

Hopefully the 12-year old will recover quickly.

In reading the story they mentioned that, in MA, you are required to have a regular driver's license and a hoisting license to operate this equipment. In looking further, I found a MA State FAQ on the hoisting license:

2. Q: What activities are covered under the hoisting regulations?

A: The regulations, appearing in 520 CMR 6.00, apply to any Hoisting Machinery that has the minimum capability of hoisting the load higher than 10 feet or that has the capability of lifting loads greater than 500 pounds or if the capacity of the bucket exceeds 1/4 cubic yard capacity. See 520 CMR 6.01.

3. Q: Who must have a hoisting operator's license?

A: M.G.L. c. 146 § 53 states that anyone who will operate derricks, cableways, machinery used for discharging Cargoes, and temporary elevator cars used on excavation work or used for hoisting building material, when the motive power to operate such machinery is mechanical and other than steam, including but not limited to excavators, backhoes, front end loaders, uniloaders, skid loader, skid steer loaders, compact loaders or similar devices, lattice cranes, derricks, cranes with or without wire rope; all Fork Lifts, powered industrial lift trucks, overhead hoists (underhung), overhead cranes, underhung cranes, monorail cranes, lifting devices, cableways, and powered platforms, must hold a license from the Department.
In reading that, it appears that CUTs would also require a license. The lifting capacity on mine is more than 500 lbs.

There is an exemption to the law if the equipment is used exclusively for agricultural purposes but I'm not sure how the State views general use on private property (i.e. yard work not on a farm). So, as silly as it seems, I guess I need to get one.

Just curious if any other States have similar requirements and if anyone from a State that does require a license actually has one.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
I've only ever heard of this "hoisting license" in MA, there was/is much discussion about it on TBN.

With the pain this family is already going through, it's unfortunate now they will have to deal with the state government also.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only ever heard of this "hoisting license" in MA, there was/is much discussion about it on TBN.

With the pain this family is already going through, it's unfortunate now they will have to deal with the state government also.
The State of MA has a habit of going after the family in these sorts of things in order to "teach a lesson" to the general public.

I did find that Rhode Island also requires a license for any powered equipment that can lift over 500 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I would guess that the law is over broad and would not hold up-to a challenge in Supreme Court of MA. If there is no way to license a 9 year old than they have a good fight. Depending on the licensing requirements a private owner may also have a good case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Wow, shocker. . . . IMO the government always has their hand out.:laugh::laugh: . . . . Protecting us from ourselves!:usa

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sooo... An interesting story in the news here yesterday and today.

A 9-year old was operating a Cat SkidSteer moving snow in the family driveway. This is a privately owned piece of equipment (i.e. not a business) used on private property. In clearing his driveway, his 12-year old brother slipped and fell and the 9-year old apparently ran him over. The older boy was med-flighted to Boston and is in serious condition.

Story here.

Hopefully the 12-year old will recover quickly.

In reading the story they mentioned that, in MA, you are required to have a regular driver's license and a hoisting license to operate this equipment. In looking further, I found a MA State FAQ on the hoisting license:

In reading that, it appears that CUTs would also require a license. The lifting capacity on mine is more than 500 lbs.

There is an exemption to the law if the equipment is used exclusively for agricultural purposes but I'm not sure how the State views general use on private property (i.e. yard work not on a farm). So, as silly as it seems, I guess I need to get one.

Just curious if any other States have similar requirements and if anyone from a State that does require a license actually has one.

Regarding this unfortunate accident & the instant knee jerk reaction to issuing licenses for equipment operation, hoisting, etc. on private property, in way will prevent a similar occurrence. The only thing it would ad to is another tax on private citizens, a further restriction of personal freedoms, and the windfall profits from the issuing of fines. I am sure the liberal minded will insist that this is needed in order to protect us from ourselves because the politicians see us as being too stupid to manage our own affairs.

Now let me ask this- Whatever has happened to parental responsibility? Why where these kids operating this equipment to begin with? Why must we now require licensing due to the actions of parental morons. Maybe these kid should not be in the house with the so called parents or guardians. Having grand children of my own I feel for these kids. But come on now. If anyone subscribes to the theory that a piece of paper is going to give someone a brain & stop the stupid stuff, well then should I say that's plain "stupid". Maybe one day we will realize we need to be responsible for ourselves & our actions & stop empowering these two bit liberals who could not care less beyond the fees they can collect & the further reduction of your freedom & independence. I see jackass behavior all the time, but I would never suggest we issue a license for it. This is just my very own .02 on the subject. Wishing a great outcome for that kid & his brother.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Regarding this unfortunate accident & the instant knee jerk reaction to issuing licenses for equipment operation, hoisting, etc. on private property, in way will prevent a similar occurrence. The only thing it would ad to is another tax on private citizens, a further restriction of personal freedoms, and the windfall profits from the issuing of fines. I am sure the liberal minded will insist that this is needed in order to protect us from ourselves because the politicians see us as being too stupid to manage our own affairs.
Its already been a "requirement" for many years.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
And oftentimes, kids are operating the equipment on the family farm as soon as they are able to reach the pedals, and they are plowing fields, etc.

Very sad and unfortunate, and my heart goes out to the family, and especially the child operating the tractor, but I do not say it was wrong for him to be operating the tractor.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I think it's only in Ma. like Ken mentioned.
We have crane certification in NJ as do alot of states.
I had mine and didn't renew it last go around.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
And oftentimes, kids are operating the equipment on the family farm as soon as they are able to reach the pedals, and they are plowing fields, etc.

Very sad and unfortunate, and my heart goes out to the family, and especially the child operating the tractor, but I do not say it was wrong for him to be operating the tractor.
From what was listed above the law exempts farms.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
From what was listed above the law exempts farms.
So a 9 year old is smart enough and capable enough to use the equipment on the farm, but not on the family lot in town? :unknown: Laws, rules and regulations often do not make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The biggest problem with skid steers is complete crap visibility.
Especially behind you.
So you tend to back up alot without trying to look behind you.
And snow plowing is a lot of repetitive motion. Back and forth.

I backed into a grader one time with one. And i parked the dang grader!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just thinking out loud. If a 9 year old needs a license, at what age does he or she qualify for a drivers license or a gun license. Apparently, licensing is associated somehow with maturity, responsibility & common sense. Geeze I'm getting old.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
So a 9 year old is smart enough and capable enough to use the equipment on the farm, but not on the family lot in town? :unknown: Laws, rules and regulations often do not make sense to me.
it depends on the kid. I was driving by the time I was 9. Saved my Dad's life when we were fishing and he got into a hornet's nest. Drove him to the hospital....

FarmGirl you are only 9 years old!!!:laugh: They kept saying you were a youngun:mocking:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was taught at a very young age how to use various equipment so I gues I don't see a problem with the age. If he can use it, then thats great. Without knowing the whole story and what happened, and with using any equipment, no matter what age, things can happen fast, I'm not going to blame the parents. My opinion of course. And another thing I don't understand is why if someone doesn't agree with a law that it's automaticaly a Dumb Jack a-- liberal that made the law to make money. Stupid laws are made on both side of the political party. Thats like saying all Patriot fans are cheaters.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
One of the exemptions in Louisiana.

You do not need a License if:
you are operating a farm tractor, farm implements or road machinery temporarily on public roads.

I'm sure this is directed toward a Automotive Drivers License.
However, OSHA(Occupational Safety and Health Administration) requires Certification to operate lifting equipment. OSHA regulations over-rides all state regulations in the US.
States may apply a level higher than OSHA.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hope anyone in favor of licenses under the situation originally posted here, will not complain when some town or county jackwad hands you a fine because you do not have a license to drive you little putt putt, or a fine because your grass is one inch taller than the regulation grass size, or the cover on your trash can was on a tilt from an overstuffed trash bag. No wonder Davy Crocket & Daniel Boon couldn't wait to get the hell out of DC & die like men at the Alamo.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
License

I cannot honestly fill this poll out. I live in pa. and don't know of any such law, except for farm activities, farmers driving trucks has to have a cdl, I know several neighbors kids that had accidents with tractors and wagons in the summer on state roads, never heard if their dad's got fined or not, hot topic in late 80's around here, about having to have your farm truck inspected, cdl driver in the seat instead of just any body.I'm been out of driving too many years to know the latest laws, my four-wheelers I am supposed to have a state license on them, and carry insurance on the other guy, but cannot ride on state road, if I was a farmer I could ride on shoulder between feed lots, that's what I have heard. I have been hurt by a farm tractor when I was 14 then, it wasn't my parents fault,it was something I did that was stupid. I started skidding trees with my dads jd 430 crawler when I was about six with him walking along the side. My solo trip was probably around 9 or 10 on level ground. So I had restrictions even then. I started loading coal trucks when I was 19 yrs old and running a small breaker plant for coal, and I attribute that to running tractors and being around them all my life. Big Jim

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
One of the exemptions in Louisiana.

You do not need a License if:
you are operating a farm tractor, farm implements or road machinery temporarily on public roads.

However, OSHA(Occupational Safety and Health Administration) requires Certification to operate lifting equipment. OSHA regulations over-rides all state regulations in the US.
Only in the workplace, and then only the ones that OSHA has jurisdiction over. Thankfully, family farms are out of their clutches.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts