Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I think you are going to have fun with your new tool. I don't want to change your thread, but curious what everyone likes to use for general weed control (at an affordable cost). We have both lawn and a two acre field. I use 24-d on the field, but would love any thoughts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just put my new Fimco 40gal 3PT boom sprayer to use this morning for the first time. All went well and my usage calculations were correct for my acreage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just put my new Fimco 40gal 3PT boom sprayer to use this morning for the first time. All went well and my usage calculations were correct for my acreage.
Can I get a picture? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the same thing. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I don't know what looks newer the sprayer or the tractor.I have a 15 gal sprayer and works great on my 2.5 acre lot.

Reactions: Mulcher

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I think you are going to have fun with your new tool. I don't want to change your thread, but curious what everyone likes to use for general weed control (at an affordable cost). We have both lawn and a two acre field. I use 24-d on the field, but would love any thoughts.
I use 2 4-d on my lawn.I used to use the Amnie 400 at TS at 3oz to the gal.Found 3 way select herbicide at Site one (formerly John Deere landscapes) but only 1.5 oz per gal.
Anything that is small leaf like clover use a surfactant.It brakes the surface tension and coates the leaf for a better kill. Johnson's baby shampoo is a cheap surfactant low foam. 1oz per gal. will do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what looks newer the sprayer or the tractor.I have a 15 gal sprayer and works great on my 2.5 acre lot.
Thank you! I bought the 355D new in July of 2000, and it's been a good one. I just replaced all idler pulleys on the tractor and deck, put new bushings in the pivot shafts, replaced the pivot shaft on the deck, and put a new seat on it this last month.:laugh: It just hit 600 hours this evening while using the sprayer. Also being I hated having the loose wiring for the sprayer I did a little redneck engineering before I used it. What I ended up doing was simply unplug the headlight switch, cut the positive wire on the sprayer harness and added 2 terminals so it would plug onto the headlight switch. I then ran the wire under the floorpan, over the fuel tank, and at that point it had a connection so you could just unplug it. The factory switch I just leave on, and when I want to spray I just pull the headlight switch, and when I want to shut it off, I turn the headlight switch off.:laugh: Here is some pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using Ortho weed be gone, and the main thing in it is 2, 4, D.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I will shoot a picture or two tomorrow of my 40gal setup.

I just applied Powerhorse www.walkersupplyinc.com/ESW/Files/horsepower_label.pdf I just pulled this link off the internet for the specs, but my local supplier sold a 2 1/2 gallon jug for $191.

I used about 30 gallons of water to 3/4 gallon of herbicide running about 4 mph at 30psi 10 foot wide spray pattern for 2.5 acres. I put myself just a little above 1/2 for maximum application per acre per year so that I can re-apply this fall. Also used marking dye to help make sure I just had a little overlap as I ran the yard.

I had some good help from my grounds guys at the school golf course to make sure I had my numbers straight and did waste product and didn't overkill and be responsible in my application. Amazing how much a homeowner can get away with it you wanted to with herbicides and things compared to the strict regulations the golf course has to follow and document.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I know for something pushing close to 20 years old (or older) that tractor looks brand new. When did they stop making 355D? It was a short model run wasn't it because I rarely see them for sale?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
178 Posts
For 2-4D I have tried Trimec Classic and Lesco 3 Way Selective. I think the Lesco product has a little more bite. However I may try the Trimec 992 next. I have read it is way more effective than the Classic. I typically mix at 2oz per gallon for the Fimco equipment I have now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Amazing how much a homeowner can get away with it you wanted to with herbicides and things compared to the strict regulations the golf course has to follow and document.
I agree. However, I don't think there are enough homeowners that care enough about their lawns to invest in equipment to spray chemicals. Most of the dad's I know think I am nuts and hate mowing their lawns, much less take care of it. I can't tell you how many people I know that wish for hot dry weather that makes their grass go dormant so they don't have to mow. :dunno:

·
Registered
447 Posts
So here is the TSC Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer. I kept the boom 18" off the ground to give me a 10 foot wide coverage spray pattern. The standard nozzle tips are fans. Make sure to run water through the system first to align the nozzles once you install them. Also have some real small hose clamps, the small cheap ones that come with the sprayer are a joke. I bought a cigarette lighter adapter with a wire tail at Wal-Mart and cut the battery clamp connector off and spliced that on instead. Plenty of slack in the wire to reach our seat plug in location.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you think the tractor would be tipsy in the back when its full if you didn't have your FEL attached for ballast weight out front?

If I swing at one, I may have to paint the red JD Green and leave the Fimco stickers off. LOL

Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
447 Posts
It can be done, no doubt about that. Question is how full do you make the tank, maybe only fill it half full. I did 30 gallons which equaled to 250lbs hung out back behind the rear tires. If you don't have an FEL keep your mover deck on to help add weight to the middle of the machine to stabilize it some more. I think you will be fine. I will eventually paint it JD Green, time was of the essence as the heat dropped off and no wind so I wanted to get the chemical applied. The labels came on the tank so you will have to peel them off.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I know for something pushing close to 20 years old (or older) that tractor looks brand new. When did they stop making 355D? It was a short model run wasn't it because I rarely see them for sale?
The 355D was from 1999-2001 then the GX355 from 2002-2005. Not many sold very hard to find because I've been looking for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 355D was from 1999-2001 then the GX355 from 2002-2005. Not many sold very hard to find because I've been looking for a while.
I knew it was a short run when they built them, and i'm pretty sure the reason they didn't sell more was because of the price. When I bought this one new in 2000 it was $7850 out the door with a PowerFlow bagger which I still have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts