Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Finally, John Deere came trough with a new Instrument Cluster. It now starts relatively smoothly (single stumble and puff of smoke). The new IC apparently lights off the glow plugs. Light goes off, and immediately start, triggers a second longer activation timer of the plugs (2 minutes). I know that to be the case, as leaving it on longer post glow light extinguishing, results in the same kind of cold start, as before the replacement.(bad stumble,Smoke but significantly shorter in duration. Started today immediately when the glow light went off and ran great immeditely. Well worth the wait for the fix.
The above goes for the new machines too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
So what was the problem? Is this a follow-up to some issue with cold starts? You replaced the entire instrument cluster? As in, the whole dashboard?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi guys,
The new IC apparently lights off the glow plugs. Light goes off, and immediately start, triggers a second longer activation timer of the plugs (2 minutes).
I don't understand what's happening here.

1. You turn the key part way
2. The glow plug light comes on for 4-5 seconds and then turns off
3. Then you start
4. After you start it up, the plugs come back on for 2 minutes?

Is that what you're saying? Or do you wait for the plugs to go off after 4-5 seconds and that by itself triggers a second longer activation of the plugs?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm confused as well. You replaced the instrumentation cluster? Did JD do the work or did you do the change out? Might help us understand better. Thanks
JD dealer got a new cluster and installed. I believe the action of starting triggers second timer setting glows off during run cycle. If nothing done after the Light goes off ,such as sitting there listening to the lift pump run and watching the hour meter cick off time, the glows shut off , presumably so they would not drain the battery or whatever. If you have been watching the hour meter click up, thinking you are heating the cylinders up , yo u are not. If you let it go for an extra 30 seconds after the light extuishes it will start rough, but the glows come on from starting and it smoothes out within a second or two. A truely well thought out solution to the very crappy start I had. I gave JD the idea (called and made formal complaint about the crappy starting and asked if they had a way to reprogram the cluster to keep glows going after start) back within a couple months of delivery. (2013) Was recieved well, just took a long time to impliment. More wining by. Me got the new cluster. Sorry did not get paperwork yet to give the DTAC number. They came to me and the tech came only with the cluster, no paperwork. I was at work when he came. Wife supervised.
By the way, doing this made it so she could not have baby trators too... but hey, I could not find a stud tractor anyway, so no loss.
Bill

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what was the problem? Is this a follow-up to some issue with cold starts? You replaced the entire instrument cluster? As in, the whole dashboard?
Yes.. new cluster has a new glow plug sequence that totally eliminates the 20 seconds of misfiring stumble and heavy smoke at below zero temps. Does or did stumbling upon cold start below about 50 degrees to varying degrees dependent upon temp and how long it sat in that cold. Compression ignition us a wonderful thing, but cold cylinders have to get at least warm to run right and actually be able to ignight the fuel when compressed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes.. new cluster has a new glow plug sequence that totally eliminates the 20 seconds of misfiring stumble and heavy smoke at below zero temps. Does or did stumbling upon cold start below about 50 degrees to varying degrees dependent upon temp and how long it sat in that cold. Compression ignition us a wonderful thing, but cold cylinders have to get at least warm to run right and actually be able to ignight the fuel when compressed.

Thanks for the explanation - So, from the sounds of it, they've implemented this change across the board. Sounds like a good thing!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to check mine when I get a chance and see if that is how the glow plugs are working. Mine starts great and runs good. Should be interesting.:usa:greentractorride:
So what did you find out?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't had time to check it yet. I'll post up when I do check it. Crazy busy all of a sudden.
Get time to check it out yet? Would be nice to know if I am right or wrong...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Finally got a chance to check out my glow plug sequence.
1.Turned the key to on, the glow plug light comes on for about 6-8 seconds and turns off when the glow plugs get up to maximum temperature.
2. Glows plugs stay on for approximately 2-3 seconds after the glow plug light goes off, and then the glow plugs, go off if the engine wasn't started. You need to start the engine as soon as the glow plug light goes out or the glow plugs will turn off before starting the engine. I did a couple of test starts and it makes a difference.
3. When the glow plugs go on, and the glow plug indicator light goes out the engine starts with a little roughness. The glow pugs go off after the key is turned to start the engine. I was monitoring system voltage not voltage at the glow plugs. I used a Sperry Volt meter that reads .001 volts.
4. After about 2-3 seconds of the engine running the glow plugs turn back on and the engine smooths out instantly.
5. The glow pugs stayed on for close to 3 minutes, I needed another person to run a stop watch for me and was doing this alone. So the 3 minutes is a good estimate of time the frame, could be +/- 15 seconds.
6. After about 3 minutes (was definitely longer than 2 minutes) the glow plugs turned off and the engine continued to run nice and smooth.
7. I'm not sure if the glow plugs are controlled by a timer or possibly coolant temperature? Just don't know.

The ambient (out side) temperature was about 30 degrees, so not very cold but cold enough to make a diesel cough some on start up. Just another thing to note The temp gauge showed this after 20 minutes of idling. This is with the 160 thermostat. Just information for those interested.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got a chance to check out my glow plug sequence.
1.Turned the key to on, the glow plug light comes on for about 6-8 seconds and turns off when the glow plugs get up to maximum temperature.
2. Glows plugs stay on for approximately 2-3 seconds after the glow plug light goes off, and then the glow plugs, go off if the engine wasn't started. You need to start the engine as soon as the glow plug light goes out or the glow plugs will turn off before starting the engine. I did a couple of test starts and it makes a difference.
3. When the glow plugs go on, and the glow plug indicator light goes out the engine starts with a little roughness. The glow pugs go off after the key is turned to start the engine. I was monitoring system voltage not voltage at the glow plugs. I used a Sperry Volt meter that reads .001 volts.
4. After about 2-3 seconds of the engine running the glow plugs turn back on and the engine smooths out instantly.
5. The glow pugs stayed on for close to 3 minutes, I needed another person to run a stop watch for me and was doing this alone. So the 3 minutes is a good estimate of time the frame, could be +/- 15 seconds.
6. After about 3 minutes (was definitely longer than 2 minutes) the glow plugs turned off and the engine continued to run nice and smooth.
7. I'm not sure if the glow plugs are controlled by a timer or possibly coolant temperature? Just don't know.

The ambient (out side) temperature was about 30 degrees, so not very cold but cold enough to make a diesel cough some on start up. Just another thing to note The temp gauge showed this after 20 minutes of idling. This is with the 160 thermostat. Just information for those interested.

Much more detailed analysis, but basically exactly what I deduced and said after two times playing and about 2.5 minutes of playing with it, seat of my pants. Good write up.

I am thrilled with the starting I have now, compared to what it did before.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
187 Posts
fixed

I thought this was a pregnancy prevention thread:mocking::hide:

Glad you got her "fixed" up JD:cheers:
why would you want a pregnancy fix?
I would want many new 1025s babies lol:laugh:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys,
Finally, John Deere came trough with a new Instrument Cluster. It now starts relatively smoothly (single stumble and puff of smoke). The new IC apparently lights off the glow plugs. Light goes off, and immediately start, triggers a second longer activation timer of the plugs (2 minutes). I know that to be the case, as leaving it on longer post glow light extinguishing, results in the same kind of cold start, as before the replacement.(bad stumble,Smoke but significantly shorter in duration. Started today immediately when the glow light went off and ran great immeditely. Well worth the wait for the fix.
The above goes for the new machines too.

DO you think john deere would fix an older 1025 that has the cold start problem ?
just wondering
thank for posting :bigthumb:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
307 Posts
DO you think john deere would fix an older 1025 that has the cold start problem ?
just wondering
I think they would. Often you have to explain exactly what you want them to do. Keep in mind it will be on your dime. They often want to do their own diagnostics also. Also remember some service managers are way better than others.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just wondering
Might just be cheaper to go to one of the site vendors and ask if you can purchase a new Instrument cluster. There is no programming needed to be done like is supposedly needed for the Xseries. If they tell you there is it is Bull $hit. You just remove, replace and start. What Model Year is yours? Mine is MY2013.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts