Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pix of my stabilizer piston after being tented over with brand new quality tarp this winter. Plenty of ventilation and no direct rain/snow could get on it or the other side. One side rusted, other did not.

rust 3.jpg rust 2.jpg

rust 1.jpg

I guess that FEL nitride coated piston business is too good to use on BH pistons also? Absolutely should not happen to any hydraulic piston in this price range! Harbor Freight maybe, John Deere never! I think they have some foreign outsourcing quality control problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
It looks like bad chrome plating. I'd ask the dealer to replace the piston rod under warranty.

Frank

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
That sucks and you may be able to get the dealer to pay for it but if not and you just want to clean up the rust I hear aluminum foil and water does a good job. Ball up the foil and spritz with the water and rub on rust.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like bad chrome plating. I'd ask the dealer to replace the piston rod under warranty.

Frank
There'll be a mushroom cloud around here if it isn't replaced under warranty!

That sucks and you may be able to get the dealer to pay for it but if not and you just want to clean up the rust I hear aluminum foil and water does a good job. Ball up the foil and spritz with the water and rub on rust.
Somebody's been watching Rick Dale's tips, eh?:laugh: The remaining pits will eat up the seals. One way or another it's going to be a new one.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
There'll be a mushroom cloud around here if it isn't replaced under warranty!

Somebody's been watching Rick Dale's tips, eh?:laugh: The remaining pits will eat up the seals. One way or another it's going to be a new one.
I did see it on there a couple of months ago but I think I picked it up from a car repair show years before.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Never heard that before, interesting.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Some pix of my stabilizer piston after being tented over with brand new quality tarp this winter. Plenty of ventilation and no direct rain/snow could get on it or the other side. One side rusted, other did not.

I guess that FEL nitride coated piston business is too good to use on BH pistons also? Absolutely should not happen to any hydraulic piston in this price range! Harbor Freight maybe, John Deere never! I think they have some foreign outsourcing quality control problems.
Fluid Film is your friend.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That will take a lot of life out of the ram seals even when the rust is removed. Most likely if the rust is cleaned off before retracting the rams the seals will probably still last a good while although with a shortened life span.

You are spot on Gizmo, a dry extended hydraulic ram is always susceptible to rust. Anytime a piece of equipment is stored the best way to avoid rusty rams and torn seals is to retract any rams possible. Rams which must be left extended lout should be lubricated on the exposed ram surface to protect it from the air. Covered or not, the air, humidity and elements love to unleash the rust monster on our equipment.

That being said, I am as bad as the next person on protecting my equipment. I have a steel shop building to house my "toys" as my wife calls them. Even with my "equipment", my preferred word, stored in the shop, the humidity in my area causes all kinds of issues in my shop since it is not climate controlled. :shhh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
That being said, I am as bad as the next person on protecting my equipment. I have a steel shop building to house my "toys" as my wife calls them. Even with my "equipment", my preferred word, stored in the shop, the humidity in my area causes all kinds of issues in my shop since it is not climate controlled. :shhh:
Same here. Sometimes I think our equipment would be better off outside.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fluid Film is your friend.
Howzat stuff react to the seal material? I read some time ago that Vaseline was the choice stuff for protecting pistons, it's inert with the seals. (I should have remembered that BEFORE winter storage!):laugh:

I'm going to leave the stuff as it is and not use it until the driver comes to get the machine. I want some "official" eyes on in addition to the pix for the dealer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Howzat stuff react to the seal material?
Years ago we used to wipe with a light coating of motor oil. I am not sure if anyone does that anymore. I used to do the same with the hydraulic fluid of the equipment the ram is attached to when I had some. I always figured I know what rust will do to the seals.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the "chrome" application thickness today isn't as stringent as it "was in past times". However, only one rusted, the other is fine. It won't be a big deal unless I get a negative interaction with the dealer.:mocking:

I've got a design in my head for an "all-terrain" storage cart which will allow it to winter with the feet chained up under the tarp. It still will have the same humidity/dampness factors though. If they can nitride coat the FEL pistons, why not the BH... "Because Harold, it's a way for JD to save money, far less people even think of a backhoe." Right, thanks.:laugh:

Reactions: Ultrapile

·
Registered
709 Posts
It's okay Harold, I talk to myself too. Most of the time I'm the only one that'll listen to me! :crazy:

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
It's okay Harold, I talk to myself too. Most of the time I'm the only one that'll listen to me! :crazy:
Wadja say, sorry I missed it?:lol:

Reactions: Ultrapile

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I guess the "chrome" application thickness today isn't as stringent as it "was in past times". However, only one rusted, the other is fine. It won't be a big deal unless I get a negative interaction with the dealer.:mocking:

I've got a design in my head for an "all-terrain" storage cart which will allow it to winter with the feet chained up under the tarp. It still will have the same humidity/dampness factors though. If they can nitride coat the FEL pistons, why not the BH... "Because Harold, it's a way for JD to save money, far less people even think of a backhoe." Right, thanks.:laugh:
:thumbup1gif:I don't leave the outriggers down on our 46 when I store it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wadja say, sorry I missed it?:lol:
Until now it was just a theory. Now I have proof it's true! Thanks Gizmo, I like being right! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I guess the "chrome" application thickness today isn't as stringent as it "was in past times". If they can nitride coat the FEL pistons, why not the BH...
My guess is as follows: JD makes and specs the FEL's and the hydraulic pistons and thus you get the nitride coat. Ameriquip Design, Engineering and Manufacturing Solutions for OEMs, and Custom Equipment, Tractor Attachments and Backhoes - Amerequip (ARPS) makes the BH for JD. So they are the ones who spec the hydraulic pistons and they do not have the nitride coat. I would guess they have a sub supplier who supplies the hydraulic pistons and that is where the problem lies. Hopefully the dealer will give you a new hydraulic piston.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Most manufactures set their own specs and have their sub suppliers build to those specs don't they?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:thumbup1gif:I don't leave the outriggers down on our 46 when I store it.
Thank you for that timely advice 11 months hence.:laugh: :yahoo:

Re. Ameriquip

"We build it right the first time, every time.
Our ISO 9001:2008 Certification, Lean Manufacturing principles, and utilization of Six Sigma methodologies are impressive accolades, but what we are really proud of is the satisfaction of our customers. A delivery performance success rate of more than 98%, 97% inventory accuracy, and total warranty rates of less than ½% translates into one message: our customers get the quality they deserve

Wow, I'm a half percent-er! I guess every manufacturer of every single product makes a boo-boo once in a while... I just wish they'd sell 'em to someone other than me.:lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts