Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I was in my tractor barn/workshop. I was doing a minor repair on my tractor. My barn has a concrete floor.
It's really quiet out here, so I can hear the squeaks & groans of my barn sliding doors from the wind. So I start hearing this strange sound like something being pulled across the concrete floor. I turn my head & I see a four foot black snake sliding right past me. After I drop my wrench on the mower deck, the snake takes off past me & hits the rear barn doors & is trying to get out. This is the second one I've had come in. Black snakes are not poisonous & are not known to attack people. But we also have copperheads here that are poisonous & freaking aggressive & will attack you.

I really don't want any snake in my barn. At the least they are a nuisance. On the other side they can be a health threat & a trip to the emergency room & life threatening to young & old with health issues. So what I would like to do is find a way to trap these guys & get rid of them when they come into the barn. I see these "snake" repellent powders being sold at the Big store but I've read they are useless. Now I see traps that will trap them live for removal or kill them if you want to do that. I don't want to kill anything that wonders in. I just don't want them taking shelter in the corners of my barn or in my equipment. Does anyone know of anything out there I can use & & how effective is it.

I was going to use one of those electronic silent sound emitters you plug into an outlet. But since snakes do not have ears & they respond to vibrations they feel or sense in the air & ground, I don't see how you make it uninviting to stay in a particular area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
The other day, I was in my tractor barn/workshop. I was doing a minor repair on my tractor. My barn has a concrete floor.
It's really quiet out here, so I can hear the squeaks & groans of my barn sliding doors from the wind. So I start hearing this strange sound like something being pulled across the concrete floor. I turn my head & I see a four foot black snake sliding right past me. After I drop my wrench on the mower deck, the snake takes off past me & hits the rear barn doors & is trying to get out. This is the second one I've had come in. Black snakes are not poisonous & are not known to attack people. But we also have copperheads here that are poisonous & freaking aggressive & will attack you.

I really don't want any snake in my barn. At the least they are a nuisance. On the other side they can be a health threat & a trip to the emergency room & life threatening to young & old with health issues. So what I would like to do is find a way to trap these guys & get rid of them when they come into the barn. I see these "snake" repellent powders being sold at the Big store but I've read they are useless. Now I see traps that will trap them live for removal or kill them if you want to do that. I don't want to kill anything that wonders in. I just don't want them taking shelter in the corners of my barn or in my equipment. Does anyone know of anything out there I can use & & how effective is it.

I was going to use one of those electronic silent sound emitters you plug into an outlet. But since snakes do not have ears & they respond to vibrations they feel or sense in the air & ground, I don't see how you make it uninviting to stay in a particular area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Seeing how Papa gave a great idea I also have one, Jer,, (we all remember Jer right?) he sent me a site that takes care of things in sheds, barns etc, so I will pass it along to you.. Google Dartman and the neighbor and search for the shed video. I know you said you don't want to kill it/them, but sometimes there is no choice and if its a female you will have plenty of them soon. Warning, these videos may not be suitable for all audiences...

·
Administrator
20,283 Posts
A barn cat is very effective at keeping snakes away.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If you have snakes in your barn, you likely have rodents in your barn. The rodents are the snakes' source of food. So, keeping rodents away is the key. The barn cat can serve two functions, 1) Keeping the rodent numbers to nil, and 2) the cats will kill the snakes too.

I love most of my snakes, but they can give one a startle if not expecting them to be there. I do my best not to harm the non-venomous varieties. Copperheads and moccasins get dispatched, along with any wayward rattler. Although rattlers are very rare in my immediate area, they have been seen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Snakes will also go to someplace cool if it is hot out. A concrete floor in a barn could attract them that way. Perhaps sealing all the little openings will help keep out the snakes and their rodent snacks.

·
Premium Member
7,558 Posts
A black snake will keep the wire chewing varmints away just like a cat.

You really gotta piss off a blacksnake to get it to bite you.

Be aware of snakes. Most of them like you less than you like them.

Otherwise - 12 gauge, #6 field loads.

Up close, .38 with rat shot, or a shovel.

A king snake will keep all the varmints and other snakes away.

·
Administrator
20,283 Posts
Barn cats are friendlier. Period. They eat and keep away a snake’s food source.

I don’t know what snakes are what, but I’ve had a big black snake out in the yard pop up about 12-18” and look around. He saw me on the Z and came for me. Game on sir, game on. We played a game of chicken. He turned at the last second but some quick maneuvering ensured the win.

Black snakes, whatever they are, tend to be aggressive here. So I don’t give them any wiggle room.

My neighbors know if they hear what sounds like WWIII starting or my house burning down, there was probably a snake involved.

I’ll call in an airstrike if I have too. :lol:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
black snakes

I'm not a fan of snakes close to me but in our area, if you have a black snake you don't have copperheads. Black snakes apparently take care of the copperheads, I guess by eating the young ones. I've seldom seen an aggressive black snake unless I've been trying to pick it up with a shovel and aggravated it.

That said, I don't want any snake in an area where I'm living and working. I'll put up with them in the yard- just move them to the nearby woods but in the house or a shed and it's a more lethal approach. Cats do seems to be effective, where we've had cats there really hasn't been an issue with snakes.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
927 Posts
I don't have a barn cat, I don't even have a barn. But, I have an indoor/outdoor cat. In her hunting heyday, she would bring home all kinds of varmints and drop them off at the front door. Mice, chipmunks, even birds. But this one time she brought a snake into the house and dropped it on the kitchen floor. Yeah, that was lovely. What was even more lovely was the fact that the snake was still alive. As I tried to catch it, it slithered underneath the refrigerator. Well, that's not optimal. All kinds of crevices behind the fridge and counters that this thing could have gotten into. My son helped my pull the fridge out to try to catch the stupid thing before it was able to hide. When we pulled the fridge out, we found 2 snake halves. The snake must have gotten run over by one of the wheels. Thankfully, it was dead.
The moral of the story is...if you do get a barn cat, make sure it wants to actually kill the snakes, and not bring you the live ones.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have snakes in your barn, you likely have rodents in your barn. The rodents are the snakes' source of food. So, keeping rodents away is the key. The barn cat can serve two functions, 1) Keeping the rodent numbers to nil, and 2) the cats will kill the snakes too.

I love most of my snakes, but they can give one a startle if not expecting them to be there. I do my best not to harm the non-venomous varieties. Copperheads and moccasins get dispatched, along with any wayward rattler. Although rattlers are very rare in my immediate area, they have been seen.
By all the posts here, it looks like having a barn cat is the best solution. I already have a cat but its old & he has always been an indoor cat (in the house). I don't see how I can get a cat to live in the barn or on my property. Frankly, I would be always worrying about the cat's well being. I take really good care of my cats & have had a number of them over the years. But at this stage in my life, I don't need the responsibility of a outdoor cat to worry about. I know it might sound silly, but I'm a worrier. I take my 13 year old cat to the vet more than I take myself to the doctor. At least I have Medicare part B, and my cat all he has is what's in my wallet, which is called "What's in your Wallet" at the Vet's office :mocking:

·
Premium Member
7,558 Posts

I don’t know what snakes are what, but I’ve had a big black snake out in the yard pop up about 12-18” and look around. He saw me on the Z and came for me. Game on sir, game on. We played a game of chicken. He turned at the last second but some quick maneuvering ensured the win.

Black snakes, whatever they are, tend to be aggressive here. So I don’t give them any wiggle room.

My neighbors know if they hear what sounds like WWIII starting or my house burning down, there was probably a snake involved.

:lolol:

That is funny right there.

I am not a fan of snakes either, but I have learned to deal with them.

Every once in a while one will surprise me and who ever said white men can't jump has never seen me when I get surprised by a snake.

I'm not a fan of snakes close to me but in our area, if you have a black snake you don't have copperheads. Black snakes apparently take care of the copperheads, I guess by eating the young ones.
Treefarmer
Really! I need to get a couple black snakes then. Maybe I should go trap this one for Maddog. :laugh:

I've got copperheads. That is why I have a 12 gauge in the Gator and a holster on the tractor and the Z.

So if a barn cat is not a possibility, get some mouse traps, bait, etc and remove the rodents. No food, no snake.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We have bull snakes around here, which are good as they eat gophers, mice, rabbits, and other misc. critters I don't want in my yard.
They have been said to also take out rattlers, which we have a few of in the area.
Because of this, as long as they stay away from the house/garage and the kids play area, I leave them alone.
As a whole, I'm not a fan. I mean, they move, but they have no legs... that's just not right! But I'm also a leave and let be kinda guy.
I'll make the effort to leave them alone if they go on their way and do the same.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
By all the posts here, it looks like having a barn cat is the best solution. I already have a cat but its old & he has always been an indoor cat (in the house). I don't see how I can get a cat to live in the barn or on my property. Frankly, I would be always worrying about the cat's well being. I take really good care of my cats & have had a number of them over the years. But at this stage in my life, I don't need the responsibility of a outdoor cat to worry about. I know it might sound silly, but I'm a worrier. I take my 13 year old cat to the vet more than I take myself to the doctor. At least I have Medicare part B, and my cat all he has is what's in my wallet, which is called "What's in your Wallet" at the Vet's office :mocking:
Mothballs my friend. Snakes and other critters hate the smell. I use them around here all the time. Just place the mothballs where you think they are at. My sister had an old building that was snake infested. She went to the dollar store bought like 10 boxes. She through these things all over the inside of this place. We were killing snakes for days. Haven't seen one in a long time in that area.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I tend to rely on the autopsy results to tell me if a snake was poisonous or not.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mothballs my friend. Snakes and other critters hate the smell. I use them around here all the time. Just place the mothballs where you think they are at. My sister had an old building that was snake infested. She went to the dollar store bought like 10 boxes. She through these things all over the inside of this place. We were killing snakes for days. Haven't seen one in a long time in that area.
Mothballs-Really? I have them in my barn all winter long. The odor so strong it would make my eyes tear. Guess what. Did NOTHING to keep the mice out of my barn. I bought some Tomcat traps & liquid bait & I was getting one a day for two weeks nonstop. I've also researched this mothball thing extensively. Its an old wives' tale with the rodents & snakes. If it is working for you, then maybe there is a change in the conditions that have changed the animals patterns. But it is not the mothballs. Also I just learned that snakes do not "Smell" in the usual way. Some can detect the odor of mothballs, but most can't. And there is no way to know which ones can tell the order & which can't.

I wish the mothball thing did work, but there is no science that supports the theory. Your sister believes it works. You said "We were killing snakes for days" Do you mean you were actually doing the killing, or did you find dead snakes? If you were doing the killing, then what was the mothballs doing?

Believe me when I say I wish this stuff would work. But the science does not support it at all. If those snakes are gone it's not because of the mothballs. Here's a strange story. One of my drawers in my tool chest kept getting a mice nest in it. Seriously-for reasons unknown to me the stupid mice would build a nest in this on drawer & in no other place. So I removed the nest & replaced it with a Tomcat mouse trap & Tomcat bait. I caught a mouse in there one a day for a week straight. Its crazy the habits of these critters. Wish I understood it better.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mothballs-Really? I have them in my barn all winter long. The odor so strong it would make my eyes tear. Guess what. Did NOTHING to keep the mice out of my barn. I bought some Tomcat traps & liquid bait & I was getting one a day for two weeks nonstop. I've also researched this mothball thing extensively. Its an old wives' tale with the rodents & snakes. If it is working for you, then maybe there is a change in the conditions that have changed the animals patterns. But it is not the mothballs. Also I just learned that snakes do not "Smell" in the usual way. Some can detect the odor of mothballs, but most can't. And there is no way to know which ones can tell the order & which can't.

I wish the mothball thing did work, but there is no science that supports the theory. Your sister believes it works. You said "We were killing snakes for days" Do you mean you were actually doing the killing, or did you find dead snakes? If you were doing the killing, then what was the mothballs doing?

Believe me when I say I wish this stuff would work. But the science does not support it at all. If those snakes are gone it's not because of the mothballs. Here's a strange story. One of my drawers in my tool chest kept getting a mice nest in it. Seriously-for reasons unknown to me the stupid mice would build a nest in this on drawer & in no other place. So I removed the nest & replaced it with a Tomcat mouse trap & Tomcat bait. I caught a mouse in there one a day for a week straight. Its crazy the habits of these critters. Wish I understood it better.
We actually were killing snakes, mostly black snakes, she killed most of them. I just happened by on the times I saw them. She only lives up the road from me. That was the only thing she did. I put mothballs under my house each fall. I have not had a problem with mice in the house. Now that is either because the snakes are staying hid and eating the rodents or the mothballs are working. :laugh: Don't know. If it works keep doing it till it stops is what I say. Mothballs are cheap. We have mostly copperheads, black snakes and garden type variety snakes. There are some rattlers but not that common to see. Biggest problems are the black snakes, once they find a nice home the tend to stay around and raise large families. I like black snake but they can become a problem if let go too long. We toes an old shed down a few years ago on the farm and we killed 23 black snakes, 2 copperheads, and and 2 garden snakes.

·
Registered
757 Posts

LOL>....snake vs mower isnt a fair fight.......

around my area we have two types of black snakes...a typical black snake that are non aggressive quite large 8' is common i do them no harm as they keep other critters down............we also have a black/blue snake we call a blue racer that is very fast mover very aggressive and usually moves with its head up like you mention they willl come at you even though i have no idea why as they are non poisonous

adding a pic ...of one of my large black snake skins as it was found on some old hay bales often saw its owner keeping the critter population down :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,283 Posts
Hey! He started it......

.....I ended it.

:lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was showering a few years back and realized I was in the shower with probably a 3.5'-4' corn or chicken snake. He blended in with the black bedliner paint stuff I have in that shower. Quite an experience as snakes are my phobia.

Snakes are satans minions. (And yes they are. Just read Genius. A serpent temped Eve into committing the first sin ever committed by a human and look at where the world's gone from there) I hate them. I agree get some cats to keep in your barn. Feed them enough to keep them around but don't over-feed them. You want them hunting. Also don't have chickens around if you don't want snakes.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts