Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we didn't have as much snow as I had hoped, I was able to get some seat time with my new 2720, 54" blower and 60" Land Pride rear blade.

We had about 3" of very wet and heavy snow so the majority of the work was done with the rear blade. I was out well before dawn and the front and rear work lights were more than adaquate. The rear blade worked fine. Since our ground is still not frozen, most of the time I was pushing backwards with the blade pointed front so as to not dig up any more gravel than necessary. I was anxious to see how the blower would work so I plowed in two directions and ended up with a long furrow of snow, about 75 feet long, 50 inches wide and 18+ inches deep. It made for a full 54" blower load and was wet post-plowed snow. I went slow and the blower threw it about 25 feet. It looked more like wet concrete coming out of the chute. I used the remote spout control a few times and it worked as expected.

I put about 2.5 hrs on the tractor clearing my drive way and 4 of the neighbors. This was the first rear shake down for the gear and the fuel gauge barely moved.

Everything went well except for THREE things that drove me CRAZY.

1. I gotta gotta get some kind of step for the 2720. Getting on and off to change the angle on the rear blade is a killer on my bad knees.

2. PTO switch. Does anyone else have a super stiff PTO switch? The pull-up PTO switch on the dash is sooooo hard to engage that given the amount of force I have to exert I was expecting the whole assembly to rip right out of the dash. I'm not kidding. Do you think it is just stiff from being new? I seriously doubt that switch is going to survive the winter. If it is just stiff from being new perhaps I need to go in the garage and put a couple years of use on it.

3. Seat switch! I only have 10 hrs on the tractor and I am already at my wits end with the seat switch. Lean forward to engage 4x4 - the engine shuts off! Lean forward to push/pull remote spout control - the engine shuts off! Lean to the left or right to get a better view - the engine shuts off! :unknown:

We're supposed to have more snow Saturday!

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
My PTO switch is stiff, but not nearly as bad as you described. Perhaps swinging by the dealer and checking out others on the lot would be a good idea. The switch itself is used on a lot of models.

Jumping out the seat switch would be very easy to do. A simple jumper in the connector will suffice. Not sure how I know that....:unknown::lol:

I don't condone bypassing safety devices, but we all have to take responsibility for our own actions right?

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My PTO switch is stiff, but not nearly as bad as you described. Perhaps swinging by the dealer and checking out others on the lot would be a good idea. The switch itself is used on a lot of models.

Jumping out the seat switch would be very easy to do. A simple jumper in the connector will suffice. Not sure how I know that....:unknown::lol:

I don't condone bypassing safety devices, but we all have to take responsibility for our own actions right?

Sent using Tapatalk.
Bypassed my seat switch with a 1" piece of copper wire and a quick wrap of electrical tape- instant gratification. My seat was so cold that the switch was frequently malfunctioning, even when I was sitting on it properly.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hear you guys on the seat switch. When I went to test drive the tractor at my dealer it wouldn't start. He was confused as heck, so he jumps up and it starts right up. Then I try it again, and nothing. So I said, "do these things have a seat safety switch?" He said yes, so I had to hold a weight in my lap so I was heavy enough to engage the safety. He said he never saw anyone light enough to have that problem. :laugh:
In reality it was because the tractor was outside and had some oxidation on the contacts, but it was funny at the time.

The PTO switch on my 2520 is stiff, but I don't think it is quite as stiff as you are saying your switch is.

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And it's going to be done. I've got barely 10 hours on my machine and I've already had enough.
Right there with you. 20+ years with my Ford 9N without a seat switch.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I hear you guys on the seat switch. When I went to test drive the tractor at my dealer it wouldn't start.
I feel your pain! 2 weeks ago I went out and started the 2320 up to make sure everthing worked fine because we expected a foot of snow overnight. It hadn't run in almost a month. Started up fine and I let it warm up for about 10 minutes. Jumped on the seat and put it in high gear...........it stalled. I thought it was strange so I looked at the PTO switch. It was off. I put it back in neutral and started her up again. Put it in high and it stalled again. Started it up for the third time and got off. I was thinking to myself "I just got this thing and it's already giving me problems!" Then it hit me..........must be the seat switch! I raised the seat and noticed the connections were fine. Now I'm confused. Since it was about 12* out another thought entered my mind............"FROZEN SEAT!"...........so I pounded the top of the seat with my hand where the switch is. I got up on it.........put her in high and backed right out! I've had to do it twice now but no more. She's now sitting in my heated garage waiting for the rest of this nor easter to pass so I can go out and play!:yahoo:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have to agree on the PTO switch! Mine is almost impossible to pull on when it's below 0 with mittens on. I'm thinking a little parachute cord with a loop might do the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.