Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the market for a GPS land measuring tool. It would be nice if it took into account elevation changes (dips, hills, valleys, etc).

Does anyone here use such a device and able to make a recommendation? The ones we have been loaned were about $12k. If that is what needs to be spent so be it but if there is something less expensive that would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I hate to say it but I think you are in the right ballpark. If you do buy a system I would be willing to rent it off you for a week or so. Not that the minuscule rental fee I would pay would offset 12k that much.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Depending on what you are going to use it for you can just use a phone app. Try GPS Odometer by Tappiapps. I use is for cycling and hiking. It gives you distance traveled but also displacement, meaning the distance as the crow flies. I haven't used it on my tractor yet but plan to to measure some of the fields I mow.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
When I had my property surveyed the guy used a machine made by "Ashtech" that had an external antenna. The whole thing was mounted on a pole for carrying around. I thought it was a pretty cool system but when I looked it up it turned out to be in the $9k range so I quickly passed (I only wanted one to play...).

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Maybe you should PM JDCincy. He is a surveyor, and I see he was online a couple of days ago. I'm sure he would be able to tell you everything you want to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts