Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a grab handle and step for the 2032r. First will come the grab handle. I found a piece of 2x2x1/8" angle in the scrap pile. It's about 35" long. I bolted it to the mount for the front end loader. When the loader is on, I just use the loader for a grab handle. Anyway, I bolted the angle on today and went out to blow snow. While getting on the tractor, having the angle to grab, along with the handle on the fender, really helped. But it was vibrating like crazy. I don't think it will last the way it vibrates.

Does anyone know if I use pipe instead of the angle, will that cut the vibrations down? I also have a piece of 1-1/2x2x3/16" angle about 28.5 inches long I could try. It is bordering on too short, though.

Maybe a couple of those rubber mounts with a stud out of each end?

Any other ideas, mostly to eliminator or dampen the vibrations?

Here is a concept photo. The grab handle is a piece of 1/2" IMC (intermediate metalic conduit) that I had laying about. I'll either weld tabs to it and then bolt it to whatever, or just weld it to whatever. I bent and cut it so there would be plenty of room grab it when wearing gloves or mittens as will be used most with the snowblower.

The Scotch® 88 tape is only used to hold the handle in place for taking this photo. No way that will be part of the final structure. For that, one needs duct tape! Handle.png

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
One of you fabricators out there, help this guy out please. He can't run around with that rusty 2x2 angle on that nice tractor. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
899 Posts
The answer to the question is, a resounding, Yes....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I got tetanus just looking at that picture !!!

And, Im not an engineer but I would think a round pipe would just bend too easily.

Also, if you're gonna use duct tape.....get a huge roll of it and at least paint it green and tape the whole sha-bang. Maybe no one will notice. :laugh:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One of you fabricators out there, help this guy out please. He can't run around with that rusty 2x2 angle on that nice tractor.
I'd be willing to be that the final product would be derusted and painted. Maybe even green. :kidw_truck_smiley:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try something like this, once you have it you wonder why Deere doesn't send them out the door with them.

2520 Grab handle
Hey, thanks. Finally a useful post! I could build one of those to use when the loader is installed, and then make brackets from the loader mounts to use it when the loader's off.

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm still new to tractors and hadn't considered a grab handle yet. Now that I have, I too see the need for this aging carcass. I have to figure out something I can use in summer open station and also when I put the OTC cab back on in winter with the snowblower. Maybe two different grabs will be necessary for me.

As to the vibration, the main cause is the long bar supported only at the one end. I bet the vibration isn't so bad down where the bar is mounted.

I went to the school of hard knocks, no degrees there.

Reactions: Roger47

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would think a piece of square 2x2 or 2x3 tube would hold up the best. Use a space inside of it where it goes through where its bolted to the loader mount so it doesn't crush. Then have a steel rod bent into a U shape and welded to it for the handle.

Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think a piece of square 2x2 or 2x3 tube would hold up the best. Use a space inside of it where it goes through where its bolted to the loader mount so it doesn't crush. Then have a steel rod bent into a U shape and welded to it for the handle.
Thanks. I have some other stuff (pipe and box tubing) I can try to see if I can get the vibrations down. May wait until I get the loader back on and build something like the grab handle that was suggested by Manomet. With the loader on, I can see how it would have to be made and still be able to open the bonnet. Then I'll use your suggestion on both sides to mount that same handle when the loader is off.

I appreciate your suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts