Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited to say there is another Deere joining the family! This purchase originally started with a Z930M but the price of that got a little hefty with a bagging system and I wanted to save a little money for a saw mill. This then led me to the X320, but quickly decided the better "hill-handling" of the X500 made more sense. Then I drove it back to back against the X530 and power steering became a necessity. My dealer did me a solid on the price difference between the two.

Added the triple bag system and a yard roller. Might get a seeder/fertilizer for it, but haven't decided on which tractor that makes the most sense for (have a 4052M too).

My main reasons for the X530:

• Power steering
  • triple bag capable
  • more aggressive tires
  • heavier than X3**
  • takes a 54" deck
I recently cleared another acre and left a few trees along with building up some hillsides. So, I've got hilly, somewhat wet areas spread across 2 acres of grass that I might extend further.

Just waiting on the bagging system now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
If and when the JD 285 needs replacement, number one want is power steering, two liquid cooling, three larger deck than the 285 has (50").
Maybes are AWS and diesel power.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If and when the JD 285 needs replacement... two liquid cooling
Agree with everything else, but am curious what the desire for the liquid cooling is? It seems JD does air cooling in the commercial models, so I never understood why they still need liquid cooling with the better fuel management systems that are currently employed :dunno:

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Liquid cooling brings much longer engine life, quieter operation, more reliable/stable operation during large temperature changes, tighter engine tolerances, and usually get a better fuel delivery system like fuel injection.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It's funny how power steering becomes a necessity after you drive a tractor equipped with it. Same with the power implement lift especially when the plows on. The water cooling is worth it's weight in gold on a hot summer day. I have neuropathy in my legs and feet so not having hot air blowing on them is a lot less painfull.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Agree with everything else, but am curious what the desire for the liquid cooling is? It seems JD does air cooling in the commercial models, so I never understood why they still need liquid cooling with the better fuel management systems that are currently employed :dunno:
What he said: See next post

Liquid cooling brings much longer engine life, quieter operation, more reliable/stable operation during large temperature changes, tighter engine tolerances, and usually get a better fuel delivery system like fuel injection.
Agree, quieter, long engine life. I had a JD 300 that would overheat and the exhaust valve would stick. It would not start until it cooled down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A liquid cooled motor will easily last 2 or 3 times longer than a air cooled motor. Air cooled motors are just cheaper on initial cost. The people who only put 25 hours a year on their lawn/garden tractor don't have to worry about wearing it out. You also have the lazy people that cant be bothered with the "extra maintenance" of changing antifreeze and radiator hoses every 5 years or so. Most quality air cooled motors will last about 2,000 hours but a liquid cooled motor will last 5,000 hours if not more. Of course it takes proper maintenance and common sense also.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yea 2014 was the last year of the X540 liquid cooled tractor. It was also the last year for that style hood. I picked one up used last year with 4 hours on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts