Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She likes her Ford Taurus but needs something in AWD/4X4 to drive in our winters in town. Has to be a Automatic and most likely a Ford? I have no idea about Cars or SUV's I drive 4x4 trucks. This morning she said on the phone I need a 4x4 so I can get out in the winter more! A Ford may have sorta the same controls for a 83 year older Lady to learn over again? Any pointers in the right direction I like the Eco V6 seems like it has plenty of power and good Gas Millage. Something like the Ford Edge??? She needs new and has the money I would just be guessing on what to buy and hate to have a Car Dealer tell me why she needs a certain car on sale!

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
Guess Subaru Outback or Forester are OUT..:laugh:

even Rav4 :laugh:

Ford have no idea.. a couple of church members own Edge, my FIL brother has a Escape. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
My GF has a 2013 Explorer with 114,000 miles on it. She likes it real well and I do too. It is the front wheel drive version and gets 26-27 on the highway. Highly recommended. Holds a straight line on the highway better than any car I have ever driven. She says the same thing.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I replaced My 2004 Ford Taurus with a Subaru Impreza in 2016 I was Going to replace it with a Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid which is the SUV Version of the Impreza. The Subaru to me is a great snow car In the Past My wife Had the Mazda Version of the Ford Escape That was replaced By a Nissan Xterra which In turn was replaced By a 4 cylinder Subaru Outback & she is Now On Her Second Outback which is a 6 cylinder. Though Her BMW is a Turbo 4 cylinder as she though the 6 was to fast:crazy:

I really Like My Impreza Because I get such Good Gas Mileage 37 Hwy and 28 Local The Crosstrek also gets good Gas Mileage 33Hwy and 27 Local My other Car is a Gas Guzzling Nissan Titan XD.

All Subaru's are All wheel drive except for 1 Model

But that's what I suggest is to Look at is a Subaru Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

But if dead set On a Ford. The escape 2019 Ford® Escape SUV | Versatility and Function for Everyone | Ford.com is a Good Small SUV they use to Be Front wheel drive when In 2WD and when 4WD was engaged it engaged the rear wheels. I don't Know if the escape is still like that or Not. But always though that was a nice feature Going from Front wheel drive to 4WD

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
My daughter has a newer Ford Edge and she loves it. It sits up high enough that she can see over most cars. Its not a 4x4 but it has plenty of room to haul all of the stuff she thinks she needs to haul around with a one year old baby. I didn't have as much stuff in my first apartment as she drags around in that car.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
The newer ford explorers 2016 and newer are quite nice. Few different engine options and plenty of room for a 3rd row. The Jeep Grand Cherokees are always nice as well. We picked up a used 2015 that was lease trade. It is definitely smaller than the Explorer, no 3rd row. 3 months in and my wife is still thrilled.

·
Premium Member
7,227 Posts
At 83, how technophobic is she? Modern cars and all their gizmos and touchscreens might just overwhelm her. When my Mom was alive, she and I would shop for the easiest things for her to operate; otherwise it was a waste of her money, our time and it collected dust. Up to her dying day, she preferred her 1950's vintage Underwood portable manual typewriter over the 1980's Smith-Corona portable electric typewriter I gave to her after I switched to using a PC.

The trouble is finding a simple vehicle in this day and age.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
A couple of suggestions for Subaru's. Can't beat 'em! My parents drove Subaru's from 1978 until they could no longer drive about 5 years ago. Quality is super! Handle great in the snow. I don't think that I've ever talked to a Subaru owner that didn't like their vehicles. Also, they're built in Indiana in a zero-emissions plant.

With all that being said, I drive a Ford truck. :laugh: But it's only because I prefer a pickup. If Subaru built a real pickup (not a fake one like the Honda), I'd own one.

I rented a Ford Edge when we were in FL back in August. Great riding vehicle and we're considering getting one if Sweetie decides to get rid of her Ford Flex. Can't comment on how it would handle in the snow as snow was pretty scarce then and there. All of the police departments around here drive Explorers. Part of that is because Ford offers a "police package" for the Explorer, but our local officers tell me that they handle well in all sorts of conditions.

Of course, it's all about the tires. Sweetie had a Dodge Durango that came with "low profile performance tires" and it was a POS in the snow. I ended up getting new wheels and "regular" tires for it. I put Nitto Grapplers on it and the difference in the snow was amazing! I guess what I'm saying is to make sure that you can get snow tires for whatever wheel package is on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
my wife has a Sabaru forester absolutely loves it. Has snow sneakers on it. Best snow car I have ever driven in the size category

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
A couple of suggestions for Subaru's. Can't beat 'em! My parents drove Subaru's from 1978 until they could no longer drive about 5 years ago. Quality is super! Handle great in the snow. I don't think that I've ever talked to a Subaru owner that didn't like their vehicles. Also, they're built in Indiana in a zero-emissions plant.
I just read in another thread where you wrote about how Subaru's are viewed in your area - so I guess they're out! :laugh: Darn tree huggers! :nunu:

Around here the Ford Escape is very popular - just a bit smaller than the Edge which might appeal to here and also available in AWD. That with a set of winter tires and she will be as safe as can be.
When Sweetie bought her Ford Flex last spring, we were originally shopping for an Escape. Took a couple for a test drive and found they were loud and rode rough. Then someone brought the Flex back from a test drive and she REALLY liked it. That's what we went home with.

Someone mentioned a "simple car" and I couldn't agree more! I absolutely HATE all the crap that's now controlled on a touch screen. Yeah, it's all really cool, but it does entail taking your eyes off the road to find the "button" that you need on the screen.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My wife has been addicted to Honda since 1993,,,
93 Accord, 99 Accord, 02 S2000, 14 Accord, then 16 CRV,,
the last switch from a 2014 Accord to a 2016 CRV was due to her leg issues,,
the CRV sits just enough higher than the Accord to make it MUCH easier to get in and out,,

All of our Hondas have been flawless,, that is a 26 year run,,
maybe it is because I do not drive them?? :dunno:

:mocking:

The CRV is 4WD, but, you would not know it,, I guess it is really AWD,,,

·
Registered
697 Posts
My wife has been addicted to Honda since 1993,,,
93 Accord, 99 Accord, 02 S2000, 14 Accord, then 16 CRV,,
the last switch from a 2014 Accord to a 2016 CRV was due to her leg issues,,
the CRV sits just enough higher than the Accord to make it MUCH easier to get in and out,,

All of our Hondas have been flawless,, that is a 26 year run,,
maybe it is because I do not drive them?? :dunno:

:mocking:

The CRV is 4WD, but, you would not know it,, I guess it is really AWD,,,

The 4WD on the CRV is largely regarded as one of the worse 4WD systems. My best guess is they designed it that way for the soccer moms who leave it engaged all the time.

Very few current model SUV's have a "true" 4wd. Most claiming to be 4wd use a clutch-based variant that is definitely inferior, and IMO just slightly better than AWD for "getting going", but providing no benefit above 10MPH (unlike AWD, which exponentially increases with added speed).

True 4wd:

Tahoe
Sububan
Cherokee ("Trailhawk" trim-line only)
Wrangler
Wrangler JK

Out of all of these, only a 1500-based Suburban or Tahoe rides half-decently. All others are off-road toys that give a harsh ride.

I believe the Ford Explorer may as well, configured certain ways. The Renegade Trailhawk version is not a true 4WD.

·
Corndog Hater
11,131 Posts
We bought a 2009 Ford Edge brand new, but in FWD. My wife loved that car. But we needed more cargo room and AWD, so we traded it on a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. We drove that for 5 years until last November when my wife got a brand new 2018 Ford Edge. She couldn't wait to go back to an Edge. The 2015 redesign greatly improved the cargo room, so it's plenty for us now. Her's is AWD and the Titanium trim level. It only has two options, the V6 engine (we are old school and didn't care for the "buzziness" of the 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine) and a package to get her navigation. I requested they find one with the stock 19" wheels, which they did. I'm not a fan of the big 20s. She loves this car.

Both of our mothers have Ford Escapes which they love. It was too small for us. I'm thinking if Grand Ma has a Taurus now, which is a big car, an Edge or even an Explorer would be more similar in respect to interior room. I believe that both of them can be bought with basic trims so there aren't so many gadgets, if that appeals to her.

If you have any other questions, fire away!:good2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Depends on how big she wants, knowing she is coming out of a Taurus.
Comparable wheelbase but higher stance and AWD would be Explorer.
A bit smaller but still wide width would be Edge.
Smaller still Escape.
I've heard good things about the Flex too, but I personally don't like the look. And they don't have the ground clearance of those listed above.

I'd say, unless she's hauling grand kids or a lot of stuff often, the Edge would be where I would start.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The 4WD on the CRV is largely regarded as one of the worse 4WD systems. My best guess is they designed it that way for the soccer moms who leave it engaged all the time.

Very few current model SUV's have a "true" 4wd. Most claiming to be 4wd use a clutch-based variant that is definitely inferior, and IMO just slightly better than AWD for "getting going", but providing no benefit above 10MPH (unlike AWD, which exponentially increases with added speed).

True 4wd:

Tahoe
Sububan
Cherokee ("Trailhawk" trim-line only)
Wrangler
Wrangler JK

Out of all of these, only a 1500-based Suburban or Tahoe rides half-decently. All others are off-road toys that give a harsh ride.

I believe the Ford Explorer may as well, configured certain ways. The Renegade Trailhawk version is not a true 4WD.
Explorer does not, it just has different "modes" of AWD...
Expedition does have (or at least did before the 19 MY) true 4wd.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
My wife went from a 03 Explorer to a 14. Very nice driving but both of us felt like a kid driving it because there was so much open space. The high windows made it hard for her reach over to get the mail or go through the bank drive through. We just got her a 18 Grand Cherokee which she likes much better and it is a nice all around vehicle. The only thing is you cannot hold it in the road at 70 on the highway if there is any cross wind. The strangest thing is we had a 95 Grand Cherokee and it feels just like it, other than the dash there’s not many changes. I am not saying that is good or bad it’s just strange because everything else on the market is so much different.

We just went through this with my MIL. She is 4’9” and 76. We drove every American SUV to find the best fit. Oddly enough the edge was the worst for her to drive and see and the MKX and MKC were the best, yet the edge and the MKX are on the same platform. She ended up with the X and we are still teaching her all the controls. She went from an 03 and it was an adjustment. However it has not been that hard because Everything can be automatic, lights, wipers and climate. If it’s cold the seats turn on and the heat comes on. If it’s hot the cooling comes on. Many buttons are laid out on the console at an angle which makes them easy to see and they duplicate much of what is on the screen. She finds the buttons much easier to find.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
At 83, how technophobic is she? Modern cars and all their gizmos and touchscreens might just overwhelm her. When my Mom was alive, she and I would shop for the easiest things for her to operate; otherwise it was a waste of her money, our time and it collected dust. Up to her dying day, she preferred her 1950's vintage Underwood portable manual typewriter over the 1980's Smith-Corona portable electric typewriter I gave to her after I switched to using a PC.

The trouble is finding a simple vehicle in this day and age.
Could NOT agree with this sentiment more.

Also, Ford AWD systems are NOT actual AWD. They are front wheel drive and use a differential to "add power" to the rear wheels if needed. It works "ok", but I got rid of my Ford Flex specifically because the system did not have the true grip that an AWD system should have.

How much is it going to cost her out of pocket to make a purchase? That's a lot of Uber rides in the snow while letting her keep her Taurus... ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts