Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally brought home the 1974 3000 gas 8 spd with 771 loader my Grandfather bought new.
It left our family after his passing in 1976.
Already tore into it to correct 44 years of abuse and neglect.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I know nothing about the 3 cyl engines but suspect they were good....Probly half of a similar strait 6.
I wish they'd have made them in 4x4...seen several 3000's for sale recently and been curious.
Does it have power steering?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some were converted to 4x4, especially in Britain by companies like County.
Yes, it has the optional power steering.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Congrats on finding your Grandpa's tractor! It will be pretty special to you once you have it back in good shape. My Grandpa's tractor is shown in my avatar. It'll probably never run again, but I enjoy seeing it everyday as yard art.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know what it is about those old blue and white Fords, but I've always been partial to them. I guess it's because they're simple but capable machines that remind of better times. A family friend had one when I was a kid, and I remember going down to his barn and just sitting on it any chance I could get!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front wheel bearings were toast, the one bearing came apart in my hand.
Spent an hour cleaning crud off hubs, worst ones I’ve ever seen in 20 years as a Mechanic.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Finally brought home the 1974 3000 gas 8 spd with 771 loader my Grandfather bought new.
It left our family after his passing in 1976.
Already tore into it to correct 44 years of abuse and neglect.

Looks alot like my 1975 Ford 2000 D. Great little tractor that can't be stopped. Amazing machine. Males me happy to hear your gonna resurrect her and keep her going. Mine has no loader and i am the 2nd owner. Mines going to the dealer tueday for servicing and power steering leak fix.
Any idea of the original hours on yours?

Reactions: Bigfoot_Brent

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I'm glad you found it and got it back in the family. I'll bet granddad is glad too. Thanks for sharing the pictures, good luck on the repairs needed.

·
Registered
847 Posts
In the mid to late 60's I would work my sisters farm in the summer. With the exception of one IH all of her tractors were Fords mostly 2-3000 series. Never had a single problem with them in all those years.

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
A late friend of Mind Had 2 Ford 2000 with a Loader for his Landscape Business(the first one was stolen off the Job site) He Had Gas Models Use to confuse the Ford dealers at the time because they were use to Ford 2000's Being Diesel & My Cousin has a Ford 4000 That he Bought from the State of Iowa Department of Natural resources when He retired from the Iowa DNR He uses it Mostly for Brush Cutting On his 160 acre Hunting Fram and His Dam for His Pount On His 7 acre In town Place How He Manages the Ford 4000 On the Dam which is Pretty steep. I wouldn't want to even Take a Deere X700 series AWD Garden Tractor to Mow it and He Mows it Mostly side ways Instead of Up and Down. But the Fords are what He Grew Up with On his Family 1000 acre Farm. The Fords from the 2000, 3000, 4000 & 5000 series Tractors are supposed to work like this a 2000 was a 2 Plow Tractor a 3000 was a 3 plow Tractor a 4000 was a 4 Plow Tractor ect the 5000 was Normally made In Narrow Front But could be had In wide or standard Front Axles while The rest of the Model all Came standard In standard/ wide Front. It doesn't Look to Bad for it age congrats on getting it back (y)

Reactions: bfloyd4445
1 - 10 of 10 Posts