Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a long drawn out thread....:munch:

I have my Grandpa's 1954 John Deere model 60. He bought it used around 30 -35 years ago. It was one of many many tractors he has, but this one wasn't modified or just so plain worn out. He likes to buy tractors that are headed to the scrapper, pay scrap prices for them, and tinker and play with them until they just won't go any more. For example he bought an old D6 Cat dozer. One with a cable/winch setup for the dozer blade. He milked it along and ran it for years. Finally the pony motor wouldn't run and it couldn't be repaired. So he pulled the big diesel motor out and dropped in a Ford 300 I6 with 4 speed manual trans to drive the dozer trans. Worked good, but slower and less power. That 300 would lock up every spring for some reason. He'd get it freed up and continue to use the dozer. Well one spring he got tired of that and pulled the Ford motor out. He had a cheap Chinese 11 HP Honda clone motor. He said that'd work. He had it going but had problems starting it. You see the starter button was on the operators station along with the throttle. But the choke was manual on the engine. He'd set the choke, climb around to the operator's station, start the motor, climb around back to the engine, by then it chocked out and died... That was the issue he was dealing with when I went to go get the 60. This little Chinese motor was driving a centrifugal clutch to a chain drive input to the Ford trans to the dozer trans. Lots of gear reduction... Very very slow. But workable!:laugh: He loved it. Though it was great to push dirt with an 11 HP dozer.

Back to the 60...

So Grandpa was pushing cars with this tractor, backwards. That's right. Backwards. He pushing along until it started to climb up unto the hood. This is very bad on a tricycle gear tractor. It can tip over and kill you. Knowing this he shoved in the clutch and shifted into 2nd. Just as the tractor slammed back unto the ground there was a loud bang and it quit. There it was, jammed into two gears at once. He though it was R and 2nd. Nonetheless it wasn't moving on it's own. He used the Ford powered dozer to push the 60 into the weeds. He couldn't get it out of gear so he called a mechanic out to possibly repair the tractor. The guy removed the shift tower, pulled the drain plug, shoved a pry-bar into the shifter forks and proceeded to break off two forks... Well he told Grandpa it wasn't worth fixing. So there it sat for almost 15 years.

PC160007.JPG PC160008.JPG PC160009.JPG PC160010.JPG PC160013.JPG

PC160014.JPG PC160015.JPG PC160012.JPG

That's how I came to see the tractor, just like you see in those pics. All 4 tires flat, back two with gaping holes in them. Shifter tower was laying in the weeds. There was a piece of tile covering the trans opening, but it wasn't sealed. Remember the trans was also drained of all fluids.

I struggled for three days trying to get the trans to free up. Grandpa wanted to start it up. He was sure all it needed was a battery.:laugh: But with the trans locked up and the clutch partially frozen, there was no sense in trying to start it up. I tried moving the tractor with my truck. After 4 hours or so struggling with only dragging it a few inches at a time, I abandoned that plan. I ended up getting a loader from an outfit not too far away and lifted it unto my trailer. Well at least now It's going home with me.:good2:

Of all the tractors he had out there, this is the one I wanted. It was mostly there, wasn't "modified", and looked relatively easy to get going again. He told me that was his favorite tractor for many years. Said it was dependable, ran good, and had plenty of power.

So let's call the 60, "Grandpa John." :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Grandpa John's new home

So Grandpa John sat on the trailer for a few years because I had no good place to put it. If it stayed on the trailer, nobody could complain...:lol: I spent a day removing things like the flywheel and such to get to the trans innards. I ended up removing a tapered bearing on the end of the countershaft. That allowed the trans to free up.:yahoo:

A few years ago my wife and I bought our current home and now Grandpa needed a new place to sit for awhile. I had to cut the tires off the rims to get the tractor to roll. The flat spots on the rear tires weren't at all flexible. So there Grandpa sat for a few years until some time, space, and money allowed.

IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1488.JPG

In case you're wondering, the contraption hanging off the left side is a homemade ditch digging bracket. He hung a single plow off of the bracket. Notice that the one piece is an old frame crossmember to a truck.:laugh:

The rims are shot... The tires were tubed and filled with calcium chloride. The tubes leaked and destroyed the rims. Notice the structural duct tape.:thumbup1gif:

IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1486.JPG IMG_2591.jpg

Recently was moving day for Grandpa John.:drinks:

IMG_2604.jpg

Now the real work begins!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Interesting story. Reminds me of the 'good ole' days'!

Too bad that generation isn't here to tackle some of the problems we face today. Their no-nonsense approach would make short work of some of our wannabees.

:usa

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission teardown

This past weekend I gutted the trans. The differential and final drives remain in the housing. You have to split the tractor to get them out. They look to be fine, but I'll know more after some intensive cleaning.

IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2625.jpg IMG_2626.jpg IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.jpg IMG_2638.jpg IMG_2627.JPG IMG_2637.jpg

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carnage...

Need to get some parts....

IMG_2633.jpg IMG_2634.jpg IMG_2636.jpg IMG_2643.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

I think a real contributing factor was the amount of slop that had developed in the splines, shaft endplay, and chipped/broken teeth. I don't think all of the broken teeth happened at once.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Very interesting, Jason. I look forward to reading my way through your restoration of you Grandpa's 60.

Don :usa

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you guys enjoy this thread as much as I will. I welcome all comments, suggestions, pointing out of any mistakes, etc, etc.!:drinks:

As I repair and rebuild Grandpa John, I'll use this thread as a diary of sorts. Any large individual projects may get a dedicated thread but will be covered here as well. I may even post a video or two.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Will the finished product have flames ???

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
This will be great! I might even learn a thing or two. First question....How do you keep up with the tear down parts?Have you developed a system...such as ... Do you take photos and catalog each section of ..for example...bolts/nuts going to each section? Or will you just follow the cut sheet/diagram in the service manual? Or ?

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the finished product have flames ???
I doubt it. Grandpa doesn't like tattoos.:mocking:

This will be great! I might even learn a thing or two. First question....How do you keep up with the tear down parts?Have you developed a system...such as ... Do you take photos and catalog each section of ..for example...bolts/nuts going to each section? Or will you just follow the cut sheet/diagram in the service manual? Or ?
I have an organized "lay down" area. Plastic baggies help too. I plan on sharing lots of photos that will help with documentation. The biggest help is the 3 manuals I have. Operator's, service & repair, and a parts manual.:good2:

The other thing I plan on doing is, is one thing at a time. The trans rebuild probably being the biggest and most scattered.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
I hope you guys enjoy this thread as much as I will. I welcome all comments, suggestions, pointing out of any mistakes, etc, etc.!:drinks:

As I repair and rebuild Grandpa John, I'll use this thread as a diary of sorts. Any large individual projects may get a dedicated thread but will be covered here as well. I may even post a video or two.:thumbup1gif:
I would let someone else do it.
My head hurts just seeing the first couple posts.

·
Administrator
17,051 Posts
Subscribed!

·
Super Moderator
2,696 Posts
Jason,
Good luck on this project. I think you may need it, plus a lot of encouraging words from us here at GTT. But I know you're up to the task.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
clean-up

Today I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. Then I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more....

IMG_2649.jpg

After cleaning the PTO selector gear, I found out it was bad too.:thumbsdown:

IMG_2650.jpg

So a little more tear down and cleaning....

IMG_2652.jpg

At least most all internals and internal trans parts are clean now.

IMG_2648.jpg IMG_2656.jpg IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg IMG_2653.jpg IMG_2655.jpg

·
Registered
571 Posts
Amazing! After looking at those parts and the table full of gears, bearings and miscellaneous shafts . . . howine!! are you ever going to get that thing back together . . . ??

:gaah:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Amazing! After looking at those parts and the table full of gears, bearings and miscellaneous shafts . . . howine!! are you ever going to get that thing back together . . . ??

:gaah:
It's really not that bad. See the two different size shafts on the table? They each have three gears and two support bearings. If look even closer you'll notice a few of the parts on the table are doubles. I bought a bunch of parts a couple of years ago for this very project. The spline count and sizes make identification super easy. Trust me, it looks a lot worse than it is.:drinks:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
1 - 20 of 255 Posts