Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I drove a 4630 for two summers, 1974, and 1975, moldboard plowing 900 acres each year,,,

Every time I opened the cab door, the tractor wanted to deafen me,,,
I can not imagine the 4630 without a cab,,:dunno:

I burned eleven gallons of fuel per hour,,, the 65 gallon tank did not last long!! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Looks Great Grandpa would approve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove a 4630 for two summers, 1974, and 1975, moldboard plowing 900 acres each year,,,

Every time I opened the cab door, the tractor wanted to deafen me,,,
I can not imagine the 4630 without a cab,,:dunno:

I burned eleven gallons of fuel per hour,,, the 65 gallon tank did not last long!! :laugh:
Yep the tractor is plenty loud. We have other tractors we use for field work now. The local John Deere dealer told me they only made the 4630 open station for one year without ROPS and that this tractor is quite uncommon but who knows if he is right.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
that is one nice restoration job for sure. i bet too that ur pap liked it, like the day it came to his farm brand new.

my one uncle had a 730 that needed a new paint job, and some TLC to other things. my uncle finally said ok to this one fella who had been bugging him for yrs to buy it. he finally said ok to the deal-was if he could ride it, in our local fire departments parade they have at their little fund raising week every there.
he got to ride on it that yr in August-i rode behind him on my model 50, and the boy behind me on our 2520 mcut. it was quite nice of 3 generations in line. nobody remembered to take a pic-so sorry for that-cause in April of next spring he passed away then.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome

That is beyond awesome that you were able to find your grandpa's tractor. Your restoration job looks great. Best picture is Grandpa back in the seat.

I'm sure many of us ran a 4630 that was "Grandpa's", and I know many no longer have grandpa around anymore. You have something very, very special. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Awesome work!
I've never seen a 4630 without a cab before, different for sure!

We had a 4630, dad bought when he took over the farm and it was the "big" tractor for a lot of years until he could afford to add an 8630.

In my time, the 46 did some tillage work (we had triples for it) all the hay stacking, hay hauling, and silage chopping, which we did custom as well.
When dad got out of farming, it had rolled the hour meter over twice. We never touched the engine, that was the lowest maintenance tractor we ever had.
Even more, the factory rated them at 150 PTO hp, and ours regularly dyno'd at 170+
With the additional front auxiliary tank, it could run all day without stopping for fuel, even working it hard running the chopper.
It wasn't quiet, it wasn't fancy, but it was just a stoudt, solid tractor to run.
It was a sad day when we had to sell it, but with no loader and no 3 point, there wasn't any justification to keep it around. :cry:

·
Registered
12,554 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Nice job and I'm sure your dad was very please.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Awesome work!

It was a sad day when we had to sell it, but with no loader and no 3 point, there wasn't any justification to keep it around. :cry:
No 3 point?:think:

@ OP, very, very nice work. Its awesome that you not only were able to find it again, but get it back in factory condition.:good2:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yep the tractor is plenty loud. We have other tractors we use for field work now. The local John Deere dealer told me they only made the 4630 open station for one year without ROPS and that this tractor is quite uncommon but who knows if he is right.
Back in February of 2008, local estate auction had this "1975 JD 4630 QR open station 18.4X38 w/JD quick-hitch, 5240 hrs, #14190, w/168 loader". Sold for $15,700...
MVIMG_20180415_170134.jpg

Was a farm few miles from me several years later had a 4430 or 4630 open station with loader that I noticed. I guess it could have been the same tractor but I doubt it.

Neighbor of mine has a open station 4430 with duals and chrome strait pipe they use a little bit for tillage...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts