1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
I fixed the original link. :good2:

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
This “Add-A-Grapple” or thumb design has been around awhile. The major drawback is that the bucket blocks your view, but they are cheaper than regular grapples, even though you still need the Hydraulics. Looks like a well thought out product though.

Are they selling in the USA?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
This “Add-A-Grapple” or thumb design has been around awhile. The major drawback is that the bucket blocks your view, but they are cheaper than regular grapples, even though you still need the Hydraulics. Looks like a well thought out product though.

Are they selling in the USA?
This one uses an electric actuator to open and close the grapple.

I'm not an expert on things like that (or much else for that matter!), but would an actuator have enough guts to get a lot of clamping force on a grapple? :unknown:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The video sure makes it seem like it would handle most things, though the electric actuator appears very Slooooooow... probably a viable option for a lot of people who want a brush type grapple, or occasional use grapple without having to swap buckets and install remote hydraulics.

Any idea how it attaches to the bucket? Looks like there are mounting tabs/gussets welded on the top and back of the bucket for the jaw hinge and the actuator. That would complicate install greatly for someone wanting to do it simply. They’d benefit from some wide bolt on plates for their attachment points.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
This one uses an electric actuator to open and close the grapple.

I'm not an expert on things like that (or much else for that matter!), but would an actuator have enough guts to get a lot of clamping force on a grapple? :unknown:
It's actually not an electric actuator. It is a self contained hydraulic power unit. The power unit has a 12 VDC motor that drives the hydrauic pump and then has an integral solenoid valve and hydraulic cylinder, something like is used on a snow plow. This saves the need to have a hydraulic diverter, although, I can imagine this power unit is going to cost as much as a good diverter valve system. I believe I would prefer a hydraulic diverter valve and a standard cylinder on the grapple. Just sayin!!!
http://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I cant seem to find it right now, but there is another option that requires no extra wiring or hydraulics.
It was a set of two "claws" that attached to the loader Quick Attach plates, and the bucket curl closed or opened them.
Anyone know what that one was called?

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
I cant seem to find it right now, but there is another option that requires no extra wiring or hydraulics.
It was a set of two "claws" that attached to the loader Quick Attach plates, and the bucket curl closed or opened them.
Anyone know what that one was called?
Yes, the Westendorf Brush Crusher. It's has mixed reviews, high price, and has been known to twist a few loaders due to the design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts