Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my Precision 322 grapple Friday and finally got around to getting it on the tractor today. Everything was going well, got it on and connected without issue. Opened it up smooth and quick and then tried to close it an nothing. I don’t really even hear the pump running like I do with other hydraulics. This is my first time using the OEM dealer installed 3rd function on this tractor. I’m wondering what could be wrong here, double checked all connections and they’re good. Any thoughts before I call dealer tomorrow and suggest the 3rd function install may have an issue?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,666 Posts
See if you can hear/feel the 3rd function solenoid valve moving when trying to close it. The engine is not laboring at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took delivery of my Precision 322 grapple Friday and finally got around to getting it on the tractor today. Everything was going well, got it on and connected without issue. Opened it up smooth and quick and then tried to close it an nothing. I don’t really even hear the pump running like I do with other hydraulics. This is my first time using the OEM dealer installed 3rd function on this tractor. I’m wondering what could be wrong here, double checked all connections and they’re good. Any thoughts before I call dealer tomorrow and suggest the 3rd function install may have an issue?

thanks!
My 3320 has its 3rd function valve mounted on left rear. There is a T handle valve that
must be closed in order for my grapple to function properly. The valve is opened when
I use the mid mount mower as it only used 1 hose. I may have the open/closed sequence
reversed but I know that valve needs to be set the right way. Tractor is 2012 model,
3rd function valve is from JD factory.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See if you can hear/feel the 3rd function solenoid valve moving when trying to close it. The engine is not laboring at all?
go figure our power went out right after posting here… still out but some cell coverage at least.

so I can hear a little click when I engage the close button but no engine strain. When I engage the open there is some clear engine strain.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Disconnect and reconnect quick attach connectors. It may be that one of them did not completely seat. That has happened to me a time or two.

Reactions: Upset264 and trav

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sounds like one of the spools isn't moving. Electrical connection or the spool is bound. Look up the video with TTWT Tim and KBOH Kenny about how the spools work. There's a section about disassembly if required. First though would be to check the electrical connections at the valve and see if pushing in the center of the spool to break it free.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I had the factory 3rd function installed when I bought my tractor. Initially I had the same issue as you and cycled the grapple open close many times until it finally worked as advertised. I called the dealer and the service guys told me that was sometimes the case if there was air in the lines. I have not had an issue since then and it has been 3 years. This may not be the case for you, but if you can hear the valve cycle it may well be the case.

Reactions: DBCSteve and Kennyd

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried everything suggested here and in the videos, the closing outlet on the scv is not opening. It makes a click when the button is pressed but nothing seems to come out. I switched the hoses at the back and closed the grapple. Called dealer today and have yet to hear back. Hoping they will come out and prove me wrong instead of waiting for a part and downtime

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried everything suggested here and in the videos, the closing outlet on the scv is not opening. It makes a click when the button is pressed but nothing seems to come out. I switched the hoses at the back and closed the grapple. Called dealer today and have yet to hear back. Hoping they will come out and prove me wrong instead of waiting for a part and downtime
Sounds like the electrical side is good. Have you tried pushing in the center of the spool (when not running) to confirm it's not physically bound?

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the electrical side is good. Have you tried pushing in the center of the spool (when not running) to confirm it's not physically bound?
On the female end near the scv? No I have not, what’s the method? I tried on all the male ends to depress the end. They seem fine and fluid flowed when I swapped at the back. So your idea makes sense, how do I do this properly?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also… Spoke with dealer this morning, they agreed it seems like their problem and said I did everything sensible. Trying to get a guy here today to take a look.

·
Registered
642 Posts
On the female end near the scv? No I have not, what’s the method? I tried on all the male ends to depress the end. They seem fine and fluid flowed when I swapped at the back. So your idea makes sense, how do I do this properly?
Here's the overall video:
Here's where they note being able to push in the spool to exercise the movement:
I have a valve stem tool that is just the right size to push in that center of the spool while the diverter is still installed.

Reactions: 3DeereFarm and rtgt

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I have a valve stem tool that is just the right size to push in that center of the spool while the diverter is still installed.
I use a small brass drift punch and a couple light taps with a hammer.

Reactions: bpop

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer never showed… or called :(
I watched the video and moved those 2 brass buttons easily with my finger but still nothing.
And engine is silent when pushing the button but I do hear a full click in the unit. When I activate the other side the click is louder and the engine strains. Hopefully they show up tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts